Mattresses - I need knowledge

Caporegime
I've noticed on Amazon you can get a protector that covers the entire mattress with a zip on the side but i would imagine they are a pain having to lift the entire mattress to get it on and off.

Avoid zips. They tend to stop working after a while. I have some pillow protectors and all the zips are busted now bar one or two, and I have eight in total.

They never fair well in the washing machine.

Caporegime
I've noticed on Amazon you can get a protector that covers the entire mattress with a zip on the side but i would imagine they are a pain having to lift the entire mattress to get it on and off.

Avoid zips. They tend to stop working after a while. I have some pillow protectors and all the zips are busted now bar one or two, and I have eight in total.

They never fair well in the washing machine.

Soldato
Soldato
Thought I'd jump back here to give some praise.

I've had my Emma mattress for 18 months and as of late I've gained a little weight and started getting pain in my thoracic spine (stomach sleeper) I contacted them to see if they had a topper and they sent me a softer layer of foam within 2 days to put inside the mattress/foam cover free of charge and it's helping me already.

Wasn't expecting such good customer service from a smallish company to be honest.

Soldato
We've been through our fair share of mattresses. Bought an Ergoflex one 4 years back and its not been the best. We have a £900 next/silentnight on that also doesn't really fit the bill. The best matress we've ever had was a £300 12 inch memory foam from ebay we bought about 10 years ago but scrapped when we sold the house Thinking we could just buy another...nope

So I've been thinking about John Ryan and am seriously considering their top of the range Artisan Sublime.. Yes its a lot of money. But at 46yrs old I value my sleep very much now and it works out at only 67p per night. If it only lasts 15 years. (15 yr guarantee)

Anyone been a baller and bought the same one

Soldato
After a little advice. We have had an Emma original for 2 years. It has become painful for myself and the wife. I'm fairly tempted to pursue a claim given we paid on credit card.

We are both looking for a firmer mattress and are not Toads (I'm 6ft 2, 13 stone, the Mrs is 9 stone). Looking at John Ryan, two stand out: Artisan Tailored pocket 2000 & Artisan Naturals.

Any help or advice to point us toward or away would be appreciated

Associate
Any 100% side sleepers have some recommendations? I'm around 90kg, 6'. I've been sleeping on a firm mattress for a long time, and it's been getting more uncomfortable over the years. So based on this thread I got a JR Artisan Naturals, which is supposed to be JR's softest mattress (apart from their very high end). However I still find it way too firm for side sleeping. It's very comfortable when on my back, but there just isn't much give when on my side. I'm also not a huge fan of the hard tuft buttons which are noticeable when on my side. As this is JR's softest mattress under 1200 not sure there is much hope for me! I think I just need to give up on online mattresses and go to John Lewis to try out mattresses when they reopen.

Caporegime
After a little advice. We have had an Emma original for 2 years. It has become painful for myself and the wife. I'm fairly tempted to pursue a claim given we paid on credit card.

We are both looking for a firmer mattress and are not Toads (I'm 6ft 2, 13 stone, the Mrs is 9 stone). Looking at John Ryan, two stand out: Artisan Tailored pocket 2000 & Artisan Naturals.

Any help or advice to point us toward or away would be appreciated

Call their helpline they are the best suited to help you and will ask you all the right questions to determine what one you need.

Any 100% side sleepers have some recommendations? I'm around 90kg, 6'. I've been sleeping on a firm mattress for a long time, and it's been getting more uncomfortable over the years. So based on this thread I got a JR Artisan Naturals, which is supposed to be JR's softest mattress (apart from their very high end). However I still find it way too firm for side sleeping. It's very comfortable when on my back, but there just isn't much give when on my side. I'm also not a huge fan of the hard tuft buttons which are noticeable when on my side. As this is JR's softest mattress under 1200 not sure there is much hope for me! I think I just need to give up on online mattresses and go to John Lewis to try out mattresses when they reopen.

I have their firmest mattress and sleep on my side no issues.

Why not buy a topper?

Or it could be you are the issue have you seen a chiropractic, osteopath or done physical therapy?

They will be able to tell if your posture is good and if anything is out of place.

Or maybe some strengthening exercises are needed.

I can't feel any tuft buttons on mine but I do use a decent mattress protector in-between the sheet and mattress.

Associate
Thanks for the advice. I guess, when spending 1200 on a mattress, I don't really want to spend 100-200 on a topper that will wear out in a couple years. I have used toppers in the past (and on my prior firm mattress), and it helps a lot, but it feels more like making up for problems in the mattress itself.

I admit I am more out of shape with the lockdowns, etc. than I have been for a long time. Maybe it has something to do with it. Mostly I'm getting sore in my shoulder and hips which seems indicative of too firm a mattress - hence why I was trying to find a softer mattress.

I've pretty much slept on cheap mattresses my whole life, so I guess I was hoping that spending so much on a mattress would give me a very comfortable sleep. When it felt similar to my prior (much cheaper) mattress, I was disappointed. Not sure spending the extra is worth it, especially if I'm just going to put a topper on it. Not sure - I was definitely on the JR hype train and talked to their sales people, etc., but the reality was a bit of a let down. I think I'm just convincing myself even more that I just need to try out mattresses in person to see what feels good first.

Caporegime
Thanks for the advice. I guess, when spending 1200 on a mattress, I don't really want to spend 100-200 on a topper that will wear out in a couple years. I have used toppers in the past (and on my prior firm mattress), and it helps a lot, but it feels more like making up for problems in the mattress itself.

I admit I am more out of shape with the lockdowns, etc. than I have been for a long time. Maybe it has something to do with it. Mostly I'm getting sore in my shoulder and hips which seems indicative of too firm a mattress - hence why I was trying to find a softer mattress.

I've pretty much slept on cheap mattresses my whole life, so I guess I was hoping that spending so much on a mattress would give me a very comfortable sleep. When it felt similar to my prior (much cheaper) mattress, I was disappointed. Not sure spending the extra is worth it, especially if I'm just going to put a topper on it. Not sure - I was definitely on the JR hype train and talked to their sales people, etc., but the reality was a bit of a let down. I think I'm just convincing myself even more that I just need to try out mattresses in person to see what feels good first.

I think it's your thinking that's flawed.

Humans need to sleep on a firm flat surface with no pillow for optimal posture correction.

Think about it what did cave men sleep on? A flat hard surface.

Whenever I use two pillows I get a sore back even if I go down to one pillow it won't improve I have to use zero pillows and it vanishes.

The firmest mattress is usually best for posture. Softest for comfort. It's about striking a balance.

Buying a soft John Ryan mattress blows my mind as you could have just bought a cheap mattress in a box and had that.

Try sleeping on the floor for a week. It will take several days to adjust so don't give up.

Lie on top of a blanket if need be. Just don't lie on top of massive cushions.

You will notice John Ryan call their extra firm mattress orthopaedic

Extra Firm / Orthopaedic

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/understanding-beds/soft-medium-or-firm-mattress-2/#firm

It's not John Ryan but your choice of mattress that's the issue most likely.

Back
Top Bottom