• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 8GB of Vram enough for the 3070

Soldato
Reviews already out showing 70's 8GB tanking at 4K, it won't be long before the 80's 10GB starts tanking at 4K too...

Not bad for £500 plus (if you can get one) and £800 plus (if you can get one).

Soldato
I would not buy a 3070 for 1440p either, it's either 3080 or AMD.. and I have a gsync screen so it makes it difficult

Don't blame you, I wouldn't spend £500 plus for yesterday's VRAM either.

That makes no sense to me, the minimum NV should have slapped on the 70 was 12GB and the 80 should have had 16GB - but they cheaped out on VRAM again...

Shame about the G-Sync only monitor.

Soldato
Reviews already out showing 70's 8GB tanking at 4K, it won't be long before the 80's 10GB starts tanking at 4K too...

Not bad for £500 plus (if you can get one) and £800 plus (if you can get one).

Because of the lack of memory bandwidth, a problem the 3080 doesnt have. But you forgot to mention that, right?

What is it with people lately? I don't think the forum's been this bad for a long time.

Associate
Right now, I say 8GB VRAM is enough for 4K gaming. Once game engines start making full use of next gen consoles hardware, then it will be a different story, but by that time, the next gen GPU will be out. Obviously more is better for future proofing, but again that depends if you plan to hold on to a GPU for a couple of generations, or upgrade at every generation.

You will have to consider, the more VRAM you have, the more VRAM caching will take place. This is not the amount the game needs to run, just the system caching memory if it is available.

Whilst I'm awaiting Zen3 and either a 6900xt or 3080, I have a makeup PC with a 5600xt 6GB, powering both a 4K monitor and my LG 38GL950 3840x1600.

In games I have tested maxed out at these resolutions I have not hit more than 5.8GB VRAM,
This includes SOTTR, BFV, Hitman 2, RDR2 to name a few. So take that as you will, but proof we are not limited, even at 6GB in certain games that I've tested.

From experience of hitting VRAM limits in the past, you would pretty much end up with a slide show, not a few frames dropping off.
To see other games at 4K maxed out on a 3070 where it chugs along just fine, there is lots of videos on YouTube with comparisons of other cards side by side in real world scenarios.

That said, many people I know who game at 4K don't usually run AA, so VRAM usage will be less. Me personally, I hate TAA, makes the image very blurry, where I like high clarity.

https://youtu.be/lXIkgk6sOHw

Soldato
8gb at 4K would mean dropping a few settings on some games but it's not the end of the world and would be fine at 1440P/1080P which are the more common resolutions for people buying mid range GPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yawn, it's gimped at 4K, end of story.

I know, the place has been totally overrun by the the Nvdia Defense League.

Yawn indeed. let's pretend the 27% bandwidth deficit compared to the 2080ti isnt the reason it drops performance at 4k, instead lets pretend it's the 8gb of vram without any proof and claim the 3080 will have the same problem. And while we're at it, lets throw in some non-specific nVidia defence league accusations for dramatic effect.

Yeah. Well done. *slow clap*.

Soldato
Yawn, it's gimped at 4K, end of story.

I know, the place has been totally overrun by the the Nvdia Defense League.

Hey looks let's not overblown it. The 3070 is still fine if someone wants to use it at 4k, it's faster than the 1080ti even at 4K. However the card is better suited to 1440p but it's not incapable of 4k, it achieves 60fps in several games at 4k

Back
Top Bottom