• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
No headphones, no power plug, it’s not about the phone itself but what you got in the box and what you now don’t...
Everyone has a charger for their phone already (perhaps more than one, I do) likewise with headphones. I’ve never once used the cack apple headphones that have come shipped with the iPhone. :p it’s just excess plastic waste that needn’t be included.

Associate
Correct me if I’m wrong here but;
To be able to take advantage of the new MagSafe 15w charging, I would need the specific apple 20w charging brick.
if I wanted to charge my new iPhone 12 at its advertised charging speed, I would need a Chatving brick capable of 20(18?)W PD USB C power delivery. Even if I’d bought an 11 pro last year, I wouldn’t have this?

If this is right, people buying the new phones now I’m assuming g are pretty tech efficient, will want these new features so will buy the charging brick, maybe more than none, usb c cables and MagSafe chargers. Seems to make a more efficient use of space than the apple ships from previous years that hold 2,660 iPhones on a container at ~£1k per unit. That’s now doubled per container with the charging bricks making up the the remainder. Or not as apple would like you to believe.

Last edited:
Associate
I’d be really happy if that was the case, and I can’t personally confirm it’s not yet. I grabbed one of those spigen 27w PD USB C chargers on the assumption it would work like that but from what I’m seeing from Zolotech on YouTube, and comments of others, it’s not gonna deliver the full 15w fast charge. To be honest the fast charging doesn’t matter to me but as it’s an advertised/pushed feature, you’d expect it to be available out of the box at least unless they said specifically an added hardware requirement was needed.
Ultimately, at the best, it’s pretty misleading.
Nope. You just need a USB-C charger that's capable of the wattage required.

Soldato
Associate
Apparently yes, the only way to get full 15w from the Magsafe charger is to use the 20w Apple charger as Magsafe uses a different non-standard PD power profile.

For example: https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/10/27/magsafe-15w-fast-charging-restricted-to-apple-20w-adapter

According to that even the 18w charger that came with the 11 Pro isn't enough to use the Magsafe charger at full pelt, although it's not far off.

For me it’s fine, I charge overnight and a quick charge that’s required in the day is few and far between so really I don’t mind, but... we’ve been touted these features like a sunglasses salesman on an Ibiza beach front bar and the only way to get them is to destroy the very environment that apple we’re hoping g to protect by not supplying these products in the box.

Soldato

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Nope. You just need a USB-C charger that's capable of the wattage required.
Unfortunately not true. It’s been shown that *only* the new 20W Apple charger will allow MagSafe to charge at 15W. The 18W Apple charger from last year maxes out at 13W, and a 96W MacBook charger (USB C PD mind you) maxes out at 10W!

Soldato
Unfortunately not true. It’s been shown that *only* the new 20W Apple charger will allow MagSafe to charge at 15W. The 18W Apple charger from last year maxes out at 13W, and a 96W MacBook charger (USB C PD mind you) maxes out at 10W!

Wow, didn't know that. Apple have yet again reverted to type... I haven't noticed when using mine as it's the last thing before bed, but as it seems a lot quicker than my old wireless pad. Old one must just be a **** pad. :p

Soldato
Bwhaha.. classic Apple. So blatant in their duplicity to anyone with half a brain yet they still get defended to the hilt.
Saving the planet my behind...

Glad I'm not the only one, Apple, like a lot of companies weirdly, exist to make money, but some companies, you try to call them out on it and you get abuse for it regardless of how blatant they are in doing it...

Soldato
Well duh... :rolleyes:
No charger, no headphones, smaller box, all of which allow Apple to claim they are trying to save the planet, yet weirdly reduce costs and increase profit, yet you need to buy more stuff to make it work with advertised features, out of said box...

I haven't had to buy anything extra to make it work. I've got plenty of USB chargers with A to lightning cables laying around and a couple of C to lightning cables too. I'm not a massive fan of Apple's decision to remove the bundled extras, but I imagine the vast majority will be in the same situation where they do not need to buy anything additional to make it work.

They should have been a lot clearer about the Magsafe charger needing the 20w charger to work at full speed though. I think that's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom