The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Soldato
Has it been confirmed that Black Noir is dead? I’m usually of the opinion that “unless you see a corpse they’ll be back”, but Maeve, Starlight and Homelander were present at the final press conference so it seems to suggest he’s definitely gone :(

No, it was mentioned he was having treatment and they weren't sure if he was going to pull through but he obviously is as the character is... very, very important in the comics.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
No, it was mentioned he was having treatment and they weren't sure if he was going to pull through but he obviously is as the character is... very, very important in the comics.

Yes think he was just incapacitated due to the peanut allergy which he will recover. Exactly he is a big part of the main arc

Caporegime
Dear. Mother. Of. God.

Just finished Season 2 and The Boys is imo not only one of the best example of Superhero fiction that has ever existed, but in terms of overall quality it is one of the best TV series that has ever existed... period. Hell, it's better than 99% of big budget superhero movies that ever been released. It's a work of art.

The direction is world class, the acting is world class and the writing is world class. It has some of the most hilarious set pieces and scenes I have ever seen. The show pulls absolutely no punches, it can be brutal and unforgiving and treats all of its viewers like an adult. It has you cracking up one minute and then staring at the screen in stunned disbelief the next. A couple of times I swear I felt as close to awe as I can ever remember feeling. It also has some genuinely touching moments and a cast of characters I genuinely felt an emotional investment in, whether positive or negative. It is ni many respects the most realistic depiction of what superheroes would be like in the modern world that I could imagine it actually happening. It's an insight into super strength and the innate human weaknesses that even superheroes can't escape from.

It also ends in such a satisfying way where if they by some chance **** season 3 up then I will be happy watching those first 2 seasons again and again without feeling too hard done by and just imagining how the story would continue. Having said that, I am so looking forward to Season 3 and I hope they can somehow manage to keep making it better.

Absolutely amazing. :)

Soldato
Finished the series and enjoyed it. Plot seemed a bit inconsistent and somewhat all over the place.... so many opportunities where Homelander or whoever could just destroy everyone at a whim! However, the comedy and violence pulls it through. Unashamedly childish in that sense and brilliant.

I do love The Deep. He’s just too good.
I loved the kept the theme he always gets the fish like killed badly every single time he tries to do something

Man of Honour
Season Review - A terrible start but the last 2 episodes were very good. Sadly I think they'd have lost some viewers due to the crap Ep1-3 start-up and that's just a huge mistake from amazon. The series should have been a single release so that people dis-heartened by the lack-lustre start could blitz through to the good bits instead of being forced to wait a month before the good stuff.

One oddity regarding the end of Ep7 vs the end of Ep8 -

So we find out it's the Congresswoman doing the head popping in Ep8 and we see her eyes have a glassy effect when she's doing it, yet during the chaos of Ep7 when heads were popping how did no=-one see her eyes go glassy for the first kill, and then the CIA lady not see the eyes of the same Congresswoman that she was physically holding, going glassy with every head pop?

If you re-watch the scene after she gets the Church leader her eyes are normal and roll, they go white and then back to normal.

If you also re-watch the hearing scene, she looks at every single person before they go pop. When she's being dragged away the popping stops until she looks back at the carnage and another goes pop.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The first series was utterly brilliant and the second was good. There just weren’t as many crazy and shocking moments in the second series. I guess because you expect it after season one.

Associate
Dear. Mother. Of. God.

Just finished Season 2 and The Boys is imo not only one of the best example of Superhero fiction that has ever existed, but in terms of overall quality it is one of the best TV series that has ever existed... period. Hell, it's better than 99% of big budget superhero movies that ever been released. It's a work of art.

The direction is world class, the acting is world class and the writing is world class.

I am going to take issue with that! The hyperbole around 'The boys' is insane. My main issue is with the terrible plot lines that are there to keep the shows very disjointed story line moving along. Many episodes hinge on some ill thought out scene as it seems the writers couldn't come up with a reasonable plot line to explain the events.
A few examples

Black noir follows Butcher to his aunts house. Butcher spots the world class assassin 'hiding' on top of a roof in day light. If butcher could see him the whole neighbourhood could. Butcher tells his team that Black Noir must have followed him there. Later he decides to confront Black Noir as he believes he is there to just kill Butcher and not his friends. If that is true why didn't he just do it earlier? Lazy writing, start to finish.

When the team break into the institution that is holding the sups Lamplighter explodes a metal door with a fireball releasing Cindy. Lets ignore the fireball exploding a metal door and focus on that fact that 30 seconds later Cindy just rips open ALL the doors with her powers. So she couldn't open her own door but could open all the others. More lazy writing.

At the same time Butcher, Starlight and Hughie are waiting outside. One of the escaped sups attacks them and topple the van. Butcher somehow knows that Hughie, who was sitting in the front seat, is now magically at the back door and rushes there(director must have taken the day off). Seeing that he is critically wounded he decides to drag him through the woods in the hope of meeting a car that they can highjack. Now this whole scene is about showing that Butcher cares for Hughie which is something that he can bond with Starlight over. The principle is find but the execution is just terrible. It would have been more sensible and effective to just call an ambulance which would put Butcher at risk of getting caught to save Hughie. Butcher and starlight can split and they could plan to rescue Hughie once he is out of danger.

Hughie drags Lamplighter to Vought to save Starlight. We find out that the only reason that Lamplighter went there was so that he could kill himself in front of his statue... thats a thing I guess. The real reason for this 'twist' was to set off the fire alarm so that Starlight could save herself. How about actually having a plan rather than relying on some piece of luck? Minutes later Queen Maeve shows up to save the day with an Almond Joy bar as everyone just has one of those at hand.

At least they had a bit a plan in the last episode - even if it did involve using an AR15 against bullet proof foes. However what did they plan to do when Homelander went looking for his son - they would have only got a few miles at most. How did Homelander's son fry Stormfront when she was able to take it from homelander in an early episode? How did Queen Maeve know where to go? How did she get there? We know she can't fly. It makes sense that she would intervene but it is once again poorly laid out.

Soldato
I am going to take issue with that! The hyperbole around 'The boys' is insane. My main issue is with the terrible plot lines that are there to keep the shows very disjointed story line moving along. Many episodes hinge on some ill thought out scene as it seems the writers couldn't come up with a reasonable plot line to explain the events.
A few examples

Black noir follows Butcher to his aunts house. Butcher spots the world class assassin 'hiding' on top of a roof in day light. If butcher could see him the whole neighbourhood could. Butcher tells his team that Black Noir must have followed him there. Later he decides to confront Black Noir as he believes he is there to just kill Butcher and not his friends. If that is true why didn't he just do it earlier? Lazy writing, start to finish.

When the team break into the institution that is holding the sups Lamplighter explodes a metal door with a fireball releasing Cindy. Lets ignore the fireball exploding a metal door and focus on that fact that 30 seconds later Cindy just rips open ALL the doors with her powers. So she couldn't open her own door but could open all the others. More lazy writing.

At the same time Butcher, Starlight and Hughie are waiting outside. One of the escaped sups attacks them and topple the van. Butcher somehow knows that Hughie, who was sitting in the front seat, is now magically at the back door and rushes there(director must have taken the day off). Seeing that he is critically wounded he decides to drag him through the woods in the hope of meeting a car that they can highjack. Now this whole scene is about showing that Butcher cares for Hughie which is something that he can bond with Starlight over. The principle is find but the execution is just terrible. It would have been more sensible and effective to just call an ambulance which would put Butcher at risk of getting caught to save Hughie. Butcher and starlight can split and they could plan to rescue Hughie once he is out of danger.

Hughie drags Lamplighter to Vought to save Starlight. We find out that the only reason that Lamplighter went there was so that he could kill himself in front of his statue... thats a thing I guess. The real reason for this 'twist' was to set off the fire alarm so that Starlight could save herself. How about actually having a plan rather than relying on some piece of luck? Minutes later Queen Maeve shows up to save the day with an Almond Joy bar as everyone just has one of those at hand.

At least they had a bit a plan in the last episode - even if it did involve using an AR15 against bullet proof foes. However what did they plan to do when Homelander went looking for his son - they would have only got a few miles at most. How did Homelander's son fry Stormfront when she was able to take it from homelander in an early episode? How did Queen Maeve know where to go? How did she get there? We know she can't fly. It makes sense that she would intervene but it is once again poorly laid out.
Your points are all pretty nitpicky, tbh.

I can think of reasonable background plot that covers these minor complaints, and I could do without the exposition of having all of that explained onscreen.

Caporegime
Also, the Almond Joy thing was not only telegraphed with the earlier convo between Hughie and Starlight (so it isn't ridiculous to think there would be some at the tower), we also had the analyst Anika directly offer Black Noir an Almond Joy when he scares her to speed up the search for Butcher.

Man of Honour
Dear. Mother. Of. God.

The direction is world class, the acting is world class and the writing is world class. It has some of the most hilarious set pieces and scenes I have ever seen. The show pulls absolutely no punches, it can be brutal and unforgiving and treats all of its viewers like an adult. It has you cracking up one minute and then staring at the screen in stunned disbelief the next. A couple of times I swear I felt as close to awe as I can ever remember feeling. It also has some genuinely touching moments and a cast of characters I genuinely felt an emotional investment in, whether positive or negative. It is ni many respects the most realistic depiction of what superheroes would be like in the modern world that I could imagine it actually happening. It's an insight into super strength and the innate human weaknesses that even superheroes can't escape from.

It also ends in such a satisfying way where if they by some chance **** season 3 up then I will be happy watching those first 2 seasons again and again without feeling too hard done by and just imagining how the story would continue. Having said that, I am so looking forward to Season 3 and I hope they can somehow manage to keep making it better.

Absolutely amazing. :)
Hold on... I know this post is old, and I did also really enjoy series 1 + 2, but I really don’t know how you can say “the writing” is excellent and then trash over the end of Game if Thrones. I’m pretty sure it was you who thought the end of Game of Thrones was objectively rubbish, to the point where you inferred that anyone that thought otherwise was an idiot :o

There are so many moments of plot armour in this show where Homelander or whoever could just nuke everyone into oblivion and end it all right there and then, but he doesn’t. Just... because.

I’m completely fine with that. It’s just a show and I’m choosing to overlook aspects and just enjoy it, in part.

I just find it interesting that you haven’t made any distinction between series 1 and 2 in your post, when most people are of the view when series two is comparably inferior, when you had such strong criticism for the end couple of seasons of Game of Thrones.... seemingly for reasons that could easily be applied to this series 2 of this show.

I anticipate you were taken in by the show and let it win you over, at which point all flaws become irrelevant. Such is love! Or you held GOT to an aggressively high standard.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway! You’re free to like one and not the other.

Caporegime
Hold on... I know this post is old, and I did also really enjoy series 1 + 2, but I really don’t know how you can say “the writing” is excellent and then trash over the end of Game if Thrones. I’m pretty sure it was you who thought the end of Game of Thrones was objectively rubbish, to the point where you inferred that anyone that thought otherwise was an idiot :o

There are so many moments of plot armour in this show where Homelander or whoever could just nuke everyone into oblivion and end it all right there and then, but he doesn’t. Just... because.

I’m completely fine with that. It’s just a show and I’m choosing to overlook aspects and just enjoy it, in part.

I just find it interesting that you haven’t made any distinction between series 1 and 2 in your post, when most people are of the view when series two is comparably inferior, when you had such strong criticism for the end couple of seasons of Game of Thrones.... seemingly for reasons that could easily be applied to this series 2 of this show.

I anticipate you were taken in by the show and let it win you over, at which point all flaws become irrelevant. Such is love! Or you held GOT to an aggressively high standard.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway! You’re free to like one and not the other.
Heh, well nitefly, lets agree to (strongly) disagree on this particular topic. To adequately respond to what you wrote with my own valid counter-arguments about why I believe that GOT and The Boys are nothing alike would literally take me hundreds of words, and in the end I just don't care enough to put that level of effort into it. :)

Man of Honour
Heh, well nitefly, lets agree to (strongly) disagree on this particular topic. To adequately respond to what you wrote with my own valid counter-arguments about why I believe that GOT and The Boys are nothing alike would literally take me hundreds of words, and in the end I just don't care enough to put that level of effort into it. :)
Fair enough - yeah, they are very different shows!

Permabanned
Maybe I need to go back and finish the series. Believe I made it to ep.5 before packing it in. Honestly one of the most shamelessly underwritten shows I've seen in a long time. Went past boring at points.

Back
Top Bottom