• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I just wonder if it's power will be difficult to draw out due to a number of limitations like the memory bandwidth, overall memory etc - if that were to be the case how much effort will developers put in just for the Series S - especially on back compatible games ?

Vs Series X and PS5 which will just brute force their way through

Time will tell - I'm intrigued. Just read DMC5 Twitter post stating no RT on Series S version ?
I think in case of DMC it's lazy work on the Series S as it can support ray tracing they have just chosen not to

Soldato
Do you think so ? If it was so easy wouldn't they have just offered a 1080p 30 with RT on for Series S ?

Interesting to see what Watchdog Legions does for RT on Series S - I think on X it's 4k/30 ?

Soldato
Do you think so ? If it was so easy wouldn't they have just offered a 1080p 30 with RT on for Series S ?

Interesting to see what Watchdog Legions does for RT on Series S - I think on X it's 4k/30 ?
I think they could have done RT and lowered another setting myself. Not saying it's easy but I think it's do-able

I loved DMC5 when it first game out, I'd rather they did a DMC6 tbh but it is usual for DMC to get what is essentially an extras addition

It's like PUBG isn't supporting all of S features, now considering there imo lazy and just like bugs (every time I see PUBG in action it's a buggy pos) I'm not surprised there skipping out on S features

Caporegime
OP
There is something fishy going on with Series S as it is missing things from Gears 5 as well. I thought it was supposed to be identical apart from resolution...

• PC Ultra visual feature set (this is more true on Series X)
  • 60 FPS (Series X only) cinematics allowing more seamless blending between gameplay and cinematics

Soldato
There is something fishy going on with Series S as it is missing things from Gears 5 as well. I thought it was supposed to be identical apart from resolution...

• 60 FPS (Series X only) cinematics allowing more seamless blending between gameplay and cinematics
I read other day Gears 5 was 120fps on both? Maybe it was multi player.

Soldato
It has about a third of the processing power, resolution will be a big part of the limitations but we know certain effects, shadow quality etc. can make a significant impact on performance for sometimes quite little return at the very top end.

It makes sense that each developer will have to adjust their game to make the best use of the power available. I'm sure some lazy sods will just chuck out a bad version but it will depend on the install base size, if the S is popular then I don't doubt it'll get the attention it deserves, you're basically looking at medium to high PC settings I would guess.

Soldato
There will obviously be trade-off's to performance and it's so early right now that it's difficult to say what will change for all games. The S is still an impressive piece of kit for the price, and any enhancements to older games and the ability to play next gen at a lower resolution will be good for many people.

I was originally going to go for the X, but I ended up with an S on pre-order initially. I was annoyed with myself because I literally had an X in my basket at Amazon and talked myself out of it for reasons I don't even remember. I then placed the S order and instantly regretted it, but had lost out on the X stock at Amazon. I eventually managed to get one from Currys but I do feel that the delivery on Prime would have been better than what I'll be getting free with Currys. We'll have to wait and see! Not long now though and despite what many are saying (not here, on the Internet in general), I'm really excited to revisit games on Game Pass with a far better experience. I can't wait!

Soldato
I am waiting for some DF impressions on the S before I decide whether I will go for it to have as a GP box or not. PS5 will be my main purchase and for the time I have I don't need 3 consoles but if the S is good enough, and at that price, it might sway me into getting one.

Associate
Arctis 7x seems to be topping the recommended lists. Got one arriving on Thurs.
I'm in the market for a decent headset for the series X but don't know where to start, I've seen these mentioned a few times so I take it they are decent? in the description it mentions DTS:X but nothing on Dolby, probably a stupid question but they should work with Dolby Audio formats? I take i after downloading the Dolby Atmos app I will be able to get Atmos?

Edit: what's the big difference between the 7 and 9x? is the 9 worth the extra?

Associate
How does the XsX sound processing compare to the PS5? I'm sure I heard Microsoft say they had a 3D sound processing chipset (even before Sony mentioned anything), but haven't seen anything since. Is it because the XsX chipset isn't as good? Is there something especially good about the PS5 sound? Seems odd that Sony is shouting from the rafters and Microsoft is silent on this? I assume you'd need to be using headphones to hear the 3D effect as well?

Soldato
I'm in the market for a decent headset for the series X but don't know where to start, I've seen these mentioned a few times so I take it they are decent? in the description it mentions DTS:X but nothing on Dolby, probably a stupid question but they should work with Dolby Audio formats? I take i after downloading the Dolby Atmos app I will be able to get Atmos?

Edit: what's the big difference between the 7 and 9x? is the 9 worth the extra?
The 7 is an earlier model than the 7x. The 9x is more expensive and doesn't use a dongle but rather uses a direct connection to the xbox. Looking around I've seen a few connection issues, dropping out etc. that put me off the 9x.

Dolby atmos etc. can be heard by any headset. It's the system producing it that needs to support it not the headset. That's my understanding at least.

Associate
Game are getting their units in starting tomorrow and Friday.

You may get lucky if you know anyone in store well enough / they don't give a damn
I wonder if they are able to tell if you are on an XsX when you log in online.......and then differentiate between pre-release and retail?

I know I'd be very nervous about going online with it.

Soldato
I wonder if they are able to tell if you are on an XsX when you log in online.......and then differentiate between pre-release and retail?

I know I'd be very nervous about going online with it.
Why? They wouldn't ban you for being online if it's retail kit, I mean they stop you streaming games I'd imagine if they know your doing it on new consols prior to release.

They may also question how you got it but banning would be harsh unless you obtained it illegally

Soldato
Just to confirm guys, if I play and save some games just now..will it be ok for saves to transfer to new console (series X)?

All saves are cloud-based so they'll be there when you get the new console. Everything is cloud-based so it'll all be there when you log into the new console, you'll just have to download the games again.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
There is a feature I'm looking forward to with game pass, although no mention of a release date yet, and that is the game streaming coming to PC/Console, so you can demo a game via streaming first, before deciding if you want to download it.

It would have been useful when I wasted time downloading 44Gb of gears 1 ultimate only to find out all the screen and camera shake/movement made me feel sick and dizzy lol :p

Back
Top Bottom