• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
They should have been a lot clearer about the Magsafe charger needing the 20w charger to work at full speed though. I think that's ridiculous.

This^
If you work out the additional cost, making a new charger and all the associated bits, does that mean more or less for the planet though, that's the question..

Commissario
They should have been a lot clearer about the Magsafe charger needing the 20w charger to work at full speed though. I think that's ridiculous.
Sitting on the fence (because it won't affect me in the slightest, I have no intention of buying any new chargers/cables), is it a new PD profile or just an unusual one that's not been implemented by many other suppliers yet? I've seen a couple of things that suggest it's the latter and that third party companies such as Anker will be adding it to future products.

Soldato
Well duh... :rolleyes:
No charger, no headphones, smaller box, all of which allow Apple to claim they are trying to save the planet, yet weirdly reduce costs and increase profit, yet you need to buy more stuff to make it work with advertised features, out of said box...

You said it wasn't about the phone but what is or isn't in the box. The phone is in the box!

Stop moaning about the removal of the headphones and charger whilst conveniently ignoring the improved phone.

If they offered a different SKU for the 12 Pro with the charger and phones still in there but the reduced storage capacity of the 11 Pro and at the same price, no one would buy it!

Soldato
Sitting on the fence (because it won't affect me in the slightest, I have no intention of buying any new chargers/cables), is it a new PD profile or just an unusual one that's not been implemented by many other suppliers yet? I've seen a couple of things that suggest it's the latter and that third party companies such as Anker will be adding it to future products.

From reading the article I posted a few posts up it certainly reads more like a new PD profile, but I won't pretend to know too much about it.

Soldato
You said it wasn't about the phone but what is or isn't in the box. The phone is in the box!

Stop moaning about the removal of the headphones and charger whilst conveniently ignoring the improved phone.

If they offered a different SKU for the 12 Pro with the charger and phones still in there but the reduced storage capacity of the 11 Pro and at the same price, no one would buy it!

Obviously, the phones improved, the same as it has year on year, previously there has been more stuff in the box, this year there isn't, THATS the point..

Soldato
Obviously, the phones improved, the same as it has year on year, previously there has been more stuff in the box, this year there isn't, THATS the point..

You won't get much sympathy here - too many people believe that Apple knows best and what Apple does is automatically altruistic and perfect. If that costs the customer an extra few bucks to let Apple continue saving humanity, then it's a price worth paying and how DARE you complain about it.

Soldato
You won't get much sympathy here - too many people believe that Apple knows best and what Apple does is automatically altruistic and perfect. If that costs the customer an extra few bucks to let Apple continue saving humanity, then it's a price worth paying and how DARE you complain about it.

Haha tell me about it, they aren't perfect, I don't care, I've got a watch, phone, iPad and will continue to buy them until there is a decent (for my usage) alternative, but I am under no illusions that they are a business, a business that is here to make money, if they were really all about the environment then they would bang out a phone that was the best in every area that they could make it and then not make another one until it was needed, but no, let's have new devices on a yearly to 18-month rotation, but then drop a few things from the box and pay lip service to being green, I mean, some people really are blind to it..

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Anyone else find the pro getting very hot when charging on a wireless charger? using the same one i used on my xs which didnt get hot at all.
It’ll get hotter if the coils aren’t lined up properly. Maybe the 12 Pro coils are in a completely different place?

Soldato
I was looking to buy one of their cases but not sure if they are compatible with the whole MagSafe stuff.

yeah I'm not sure, I've gone for the case and card combo deal which apparently uses magnets. Personally not planning to use any magsafe features as already have another QI charger.
will report when it arrives :)

Soldato
Has anyone tested how quick your phone will charge at 15W compared to 10-13W?

I charge at night while I’m sleeping so don’t see the benefit of going for a MagSafe charger.

Commissario
I'd like to expand on my previous comment about not replacing any chargers or cables.

Fast charging generates more heat than slow charging. Excess heat will shorten the lifespan of a battery.

I can understand why there are all the comments about the charger and the PD profiles etc but just remember - The faster you charge, the more heat you'll generate (and this will be even worse with wireless due to the inefficiency) and the greater strain it'll put on the battery.

Slow charge for the win :)

Soldato
I'd like to expand on my previous comment about not replacing any chargers or cables.

Fast charging generates more heat than slow charging. Excess heat will shorten the lifespan of a battery.

I can understand why there are all the comments about the charger and the PD profiles etc but just remember - The faster you charge, the more heat you'll generate (and this will be even worse with wireless due to the inefficiency) and the greater strain it'll put on the battery.

90% of the time I charge my phone overnight and don’t need to top up until the time I go to bed. So for me any faster charging is only a nice to have for the odd exception I need to top up during the day. So a non issue for me, but I guess not everyone will have the same usage pattern.

Soldato

I'm not bothered about the wireless charging personally, but as you say, the faster the charge the more heat is generated, then it hits a thermal limit and slows down anyway..

What I am interested in when it comes to MagSafe..
Are people having issues picking up metal things with the back of the phone?
I changed my magnetic Milanese loop form my watch because it was a bit when I was working, if my phones going to start picking stuff up that'll be rather annoying..

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Has anyone tested how quick your phone will charge at 15W compared to 10-13W?

I charge at night while I’m sleeping so don’t see the benefit of going for a MagSafe charger.
5W is more than enough to charge overnight. Slow and steady is the best for battery longevity.

Soldato

Absolutely. This is exactly why I only have a crappy standard 5w Apple charger next to my bed and also why I don't use wireless charging. I don't care how long it takes if it's charging while I'm asleep. If I need a quick bit of charge during the day then I'll just plug it into my MacBook Pro charger.

Back
Top Bottom