• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I actually like the design, at least it's a bit interesting. Reminds me of the PS3 Fat, something a bit special about it. I'm confident it will be pretty amazing the first time you get it out the box, and ultimately you never look at it once it's plugged in anyway.

Caporegime
I actually like the design, at least it's a bit interesting. Reminds me of the PS3 Fat, something a bit special about it. I'm confident it will be pretty amazing the first time you get it out the box, and ultimately you never look at it once it's plugged in anyway.

Me too.

The design is ultimately driven by thermals which they needed the heatsink which dictated the size then they would have to figure a way out for it to look.

MS decides to just throw in a square box, it's simple form followed function, heat rises so vents top and bottom.
Sony obviously spent more time contour it all, actually thought about it, designed clips for the stand which can be hidden. There is far more thought process going into it. Whilst one might not like it, it doesn't feel lazy.

Caporegime
I doubt you'll have much luck securing one this side of Xmas I'm afraid.

We could do with another poll, have you managed to bag a preorder?

Also: https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-pre-order-figures-jim-ryan

As many US pre orders in the first 12 hours as PS4 did in the first 12 weeks...

I know people say that but I remember the Wii came out and it was sold out for ages.

I walked into town one morning and bought one without pre-order from HMV. I also got the Switch at launch day without pre-order walking in.

Stores get certain number of units to sell, so you just have to chance it.

I might just pop into a store one day to test out my theory, I have never ever pre-ordered a console and have never ever failed to get it when i wanted to.

Soldato
Me too.

The design is ultimately driven by thermals which they needed the heatsink which dictated the size then they would have to figure a way out for it to look.

MS decides to just throw in a square box, it's simple form followed function, heat rises so vents top and bottom.
Sony obviously spent more time contour it all, actually thought about it, designed clips for the stand which can be hidden. There is far more thought process going into it. Whilst one might not like it, it doesn't feel lazy.
They've gone 2 very different ways of designing the consoles, essentially the SX has all the design on the inside, with the split motherboard, massive metal connector, vapour chamber etc and very clever packaging to fit it all in - which means a smaller overall size.

PS5 has gone for the simple approach of lots of space between components, and loads of air over a massive cooler, which means a bigger overall size.

One thing though, could you imagine the flack Sony would be getting if the PS5 was the same size but had the same external design as the SX? Some would like it I'm sure, but try and fit a full tower pc in your living room and it's not easy, you end up with a monolithic block sat there for all to see.

At least with the PS5 if you have to have it on show it's a point of interest, a talking point :D

Associate
I know people say that but I remember the Wii came out and it was sold out for ages.

I walked into town one morning and bought one without pre-order from HMV. I also got the Switch at launch day without pre-order walking in.

Stores get certain number of units to sell, so you just have to chance it.

I might just pop into a store one day to test out my theory, I have never ever pre-ordered a console and have never ever failed to get it when i wanted to.

Some GAME Stores only had a handful of devices allocated others had like 20 or 30 units and the queues for people were some 60/70 deep therefore only the people near the front got their order in.

The only places you are likely to get one without a pre-order are places that won't take pre-orders like Tesco etc but again, I think you will be battling others queuing outside at silly'o'clock in the morning due to them not having 24hrs opening under COVID.

Associate
Me too.

I'm sorry, but the XsX design is far from lazy! In reality, it is a far cleverer design, and you only need to see the teardown to see how much thought has gone into it and how it is put together, and particularly around noise minimisation.
I don't agree that Sony have taken the simple approach either - a big HSF and loads of space suggests brute force cooling (and that brings it's own issues). I would suggest that the PS5 design is less clever and more overengineered with too many parts and design features (if anything) - most designers and manufacturers will tell you simple is simply better.........which is why every subsequent iteration of the PS5 will be a simplification. Having said that, I find their choice of a centrifugal fan to be a refreshing change from the normal axial design choice, and I'm curious to see how it performs over the longer term.

Caporegime
I'm sorry, but the XsX design is far from lazy! In reality, it is a far cleverer design, and you only need to see the teardown to see how much thought has gone into it and how it is put together, and particularly around noise minimisation.
I don't agree that Sony have taken the simple approach either - a big HSF and loads of space suggests brute force cooling (and that brings it's own issues). I would suggest that the PS5 design is less clever and more overengineered with too many parts and design features (if anything) - most designers and manufacturers will tell you simple is simply better.........which is why every subsequent iteration of the PS5 will be a simplification. Having said that, I find their choice of a centrifugal fan to be a refreshing change from the normal axial design choice, and I'm curious to see how it performs over the longer term.

The straight edge exterior, square box, the shape, the unremovable bottom plate when it’s sideways.

Vs

texturised surface, the shape, the way you can strip it.

MS has put thought into how it’s put together (clearly), but it’s still a square box and the bottom unremovable plate is an afterthought.

Caporegime
Some GAME Stores only had a handful of devices allocated others had like 20 or 30 units and the queues for people were some 60/70 deep therefore only the people near the front got their order in.

The only places you are likely to get one without a pre-order are places that won't take pre-orders like Tesco etc but again, I think you will be battling others queuing outside at silly'o'clock in the morning due to them not having 24hrs opening under COVID.

They might be queuing in launch day but not every day up until Christmas. I was referring to someone said no chance getting it this side of Christmas.

There will be plenty of deliveries (weekly) until Christmas, there is real possibility to get one by walking in getting those new stock from places like Tesco or Asda etc.

Soldato
They might be queuing in launch day but not every day up until Christmas. I was referring to someone said no chance getting it this side of Christmas.

There will be plenty of deliveries (weekly) until Christmas, there is real possibility to get one by walking in getting those new stock from places like Tesco or Asda etc.

John Lewis might be a good option for a walk in. Places like GAME less so, because of midnight launches etc.

Back
Top Bottom