What desktop speakers are you using?

Caporegime
some of these desks or at least one of them has enough dust to feed a family for a week and I thought my desk was unclean if I left it for a week

Caporegime
Nice speakers but I implore you to upgrade your amp, the 607 sensitivity is extremely low @ 84dB and they also dip down to 4ohms, I think even Tephnos would agree it is wholly insufficient.

Its tricky to find a solution that that does what this little amp does

Bluetooth in is important. I usually have my phone connected while at work for music
USB in is important. As its fed by a kvm switch

The speakers are lush. So can't imagine how much better they'd be with a better amp.

I've never really managed to test speakers. But I'm actually living these so much even with the garbage amp I'm wondering if the same line would be better as a home theatre?
Currently have the MA RX silver 5.1 set in the living room both a bk xxls . Again. Didn't really get to test

If anything The 607s are quite lively. I think a little fuller than my MA set. A bit more bass and a bit less analytical.

But. It's probably the room.
The MAs are in a 5mx3m approx room
The B&W are on my desk in a 2mx3.5m room

Last edited:
Its tricky to find a solution that that does what this little amp does

Bluetooth in is important. I usually have my phone connected while at work for music
USB in is important. As its fed by a kvm switch

The speakers are lush. So can't imagine how much better they'd be with a better amp.

I've never really managed to test speakers. But I'm actually living these so much even with the garbage amp I'm wondering if the same line would be better as a home theatre?
Currently have the MA RX silver 5.1 set in the living room both a bk xxls . Again. Didn't really get to test

If anything The 607s are quite lively. I think a little fuller than my MA set. A bit more bass and a bit less analytical.

But. It's probably the room.
The MAs are in a 5mx3m approx room
The B&W are on my desk in a 2mx3.5m room

I guess if you're happy and it works for you that's the main thing. The 607's tweeter is a little lively, good for surround sound set-up imo, a better amp will control the bass better and lesson congestion at higher volumes, depends how high you have the volume really.

Caporegime
I guess if you're happy and it works for you that's the main thing. The 607's tweeter is a little lively, good for surround sound set-up imo, a better amp will control the bass better and lesson congestion at higher volumes, depends how high you have the volume really.

I know it could be better. I hear the hiss for example. And the there is definitely distortion. But I'd have to spend hundreds more to get better.

There doesn't seem to be any other options than this. It's not like I can spend 200. It's more 300 - 400 for any improvement

Soldato
Yeah, I don't disagree. The NAD D3020v2 or D3045 like I've got would be a vast improvement over that without having to get a huge amp or whatever.

There's also a lot more you can do to improve the sound, like get those speakers up on stands so you don't have so much desk reflection going on around 160Hz either.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't disagree. The NAD D3020v2 or D3045 like I've got would be a vast improvement over that without having to get a huge amp or whatever.

There's also a lot more you can do to improve the sound, like get those speakers up on stands so you don't have so much desk reflection going on around 160Hz either.

I think ill be going down the NAD D3020v2 with Dali Spekor 2 speakers if my Dynaudio Xeo 2s dont come back from being fixed.

Caporegime

Yes. That's the plan.
I was trying to find desk clamps for them. But they don't seem to exist anymore.

The whole room isn't done yet. I still need to put some shelves up. The desk isn't even against the wall

I also can't move far. Due to short distance I am from speakers. Don't have to move far. I can feel for example the sound is too low. I can hear its coming from desk level

Man of Honour
No complaints here with the NAD D 3045. It's considerably better than my old NAD D 7050 at half the cost :cool:

I did actually buy that TEAC DAC?Amp but ended up returning it as the sound just wasn't anywhere close to the fidelity of the NADs and it had some other issues I wasn't a fan of really like volume stepping noise and stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. That's the plan.
I was trying to find desk clamps for them. But they don't seem to exist anymore.

The whole room isn't done yet. I still need to put some shelves up. The desk isn't even against the wall

I also can't move far. Due to short distance I am from speakers. Don't have to move far. I can feel for example the sound is too low. I can hear its coming from desk level

You could try the Kanto desktop stands. I have the larger versions for my speakers in the pictures I've posted, they're nice and solid and have cable management holes.

Soldato
What happened?

The Xeo 2s are wireless speakers. The slave speaker connects to the master wirelessly. It started to develop and intermitant issue where is kept losing connection with the master. Very annoying, would do it even when I moved the spakers next to other. Tried changing zones, factory reset, ugrading firmware.

Very frustrating given that the speakers were over a grand and are only 10 months old. Dynaudio support were uselss. Took weeks to respond, and when they did they just fobbed me off with a standard responce and told me to contact an authourised dealer. I bought them off Amazon, so took them to a hifi shop I have been using for 20+ years. Luckily they are a authourised Dynaudio dealer.

I was chatting with the repairs guy when I dropped them off, he said I may be waiting a while :(

Soldato
The Xeo 2s are wireless speakers. The slave speaker connects to the master wirelessly. It started to develop and intermitant issue where is kept losing connection with the master. Very annoying, would do it even when I moved the spakers next to other. Tried changing zones, factory reset, ugrading firmware.

Very frustrating given that the speakers were over a grand and are only 10 months old. Dynaudio support were uselss. Took weeks to respond, and when they did they just fobbed me off with a standard responce and told me to contact an authourised dealer. I bought them off Amazon, so took them to a hifi shop I have been using for 20+ years. Luckily they are a authourised Dynaudio dealer.

I was chatting with the repairs guy when I dropped them off, he said I may be waiting a while :(

Was never too interested in Dynaudio before as their characteristic signature wasn't my cup of tea (too warm), but this just puts me off more.

Soldato
Was never too interested in Dynaudio before as their characteristic signature wasn't my cup of tea (too warm), but this just puts me off more.

To be fair they sounded fantastic when they were working :p, not warm at all. really detailed and quick, but not harsh. Very capable little speakers. I tried lots as desktop speakers and they worked great in that setting.

One thing it has put me off is powered speakers, expecially ones that connect to each other wirelessly.

Soldato
To be fair they sounded fantastic when they were working :p, not warm at all. really detailed and quick, but not harsh. Very capable little speakers. I tried lots as desktop speakers and they worked great in that setting.

One thing it has put me off is powered speakers, expecially ones that connect to each other wirelessly.

Yeah, Genelec are the only brand that I can be convinced will work forever, as they make everything in-house and have done for a very long time.

Caporegime
No complaints here with the NAD D 3045. It's considerably better than my old NAD D 7050 at half the cost :cool:

I did actually buy that TEAC DAC?Amp but ended up returning it as the sound just wasn't anywhere close to the fidelity of the NADs and it had some other issues I wasn't a fan of really like volume stepping noise and stuff.

Nice NADs!

Yeah actually that's the first all in one I think I've seen.
Looks like exactly the sort of thing I'd upgrade to.

Just to check this is
Bluetooth in
Bluetooth out (this would be great as I don't have it at the moment)
USB in
Decent dac
Headphones output (3.5mm or 5.25mm)
Decent amp out

Man of Honour
Correct, bluetooth has 2 modes, transmit and receive.
USB in (that's how I connect)
DAC is excellent, no noise floor, totally silent with no hiss at any volume when nothing is playing
3.5mm headphone out, you can use an adapter if your cans have the larger connector though
Amp out is excellent, it's up to 200 watts per channel when needed via 4 and 8 ohms. Headphone amp is dedicated and will drive 600ohm headphones.

It's solid state of course, so just keep it on 24/7 for optimum performance unless you pre-empt usage and turn it on 30 minutes before you intend to use it so it's all warmed up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Correct, bluetooth has 2 modes, transmit and receive.
USB in (that's how I connect)
DAC is excellent, no noise floor, totally silent with no hiss at any volume when nothing is playing
3.5mm headphone out, you can use an adapter if your cans have the larger connector though
Amp out is excellent, it's up to 200 watts per channel when needed via 4 and 8 ohms. Headphone amp is dedicated and will drive 600ohm headphones.

This is impressive!
Yeah mine have the larger jack. Annoying as basically everywhere uses the 3.5!

I thin this will be my upgrade. Just shows how much more you have to spend to upgrade what I have now though!

Man of Honour
I think you'll be well pleased with it tbh, it's amazing that NAD priced the 3045 at this level as it's a lot f amp for the money considering the last gen flagship was £900 and this beats it lol.

Back
Top Bottom