How to stop YouTube from asking me to sign in

Soldato
I don't get the youtube download strategies benefit ?, versus tuning up youtube with ublockO - my chosen weapon.

'just one more thing'

if you don't login, or you download , I've/you've lost the comments which are usually useful for any instructional videos ... if someone says, this is bs, and gives a better solution ?

Soldato
It's not the viewing stats, it's all the cookies and tracking behind it. I don't see it as a "fight", just nonconformity for the purposes of data privacy risk/caution in Google's "convenience in exchange for your data" practice (in this example).

If you're an avid user of Youtube, then the convenience may outweigh the privacy risk, which is fair enough. But if you're like others, who rarely use the service, the balance may be the other way.

But yes, the "fight" is certainly within votes more than it is usage , but unlikely much will change there at all in the next 4-5 years. In the meantime, do what you can but arguably there's one in petitioning and educating on internet privacy too.

Barely use it but go to the effort of researching how to use the service without signing in? Sounds to me like they have enough of a desire to use it.

There's plenty of choices out there to limit tracking from content blockers, script disablers, local framework injection (e.g. Decentraleyes), encrypted DNS, VPNs - and all of these will still enable you to use YouTube without it tracking you across the web, and that's before you even get into the realms of burner accounts.

You could argue: why go to all that effort? Yet if someone is that concerned about their privacy this much then they'll be deploying multiple, if not all of the tools listed above and perhaps more (e.g. Pi-Hole) already. I mean, it's not only big bad Google tracking people across the web - retailers, other ad companies and social media platforms do it and you don't even have to use their services to be part of their tracking.

Clearly if none of those options are usable for the OP then his desire to not use YouTube isn't born out of privacy concerns but rather because of some anti-Google bias.

Anyway it's all a moot point because this is just another obsessive post by the OP. I often come across their posts in other forums and I'm bemused by some of their opinions. Including this gem - that's right, he's fighting for our freedoms

Soldato
Barely use it but go to the effort of researching how to use the service without signing in?
not obsessive - intellectual curiosity, if you are into IT, you learn something too, which you can apply elsewhere , lateral thinking etc.

Associate
I enjoyed reading this thread - almost as much as I enjoy not having to click "No" to YouTube asking me to sign in because I'm already signed in

Back
Top Bottom