Virtual Desktop for Oculus noob help

Soldato
OP
Thank, And what latency are you getting in desktop and in game?
What's the nature of it? Or what is a value shown somewhere?

The former is slight judders and lags. Small but noticeable compared to Link.

If it's the latter, where should I get/see those values?

Soldato
What's the nature of it? Or what is a value shown somewhere?

The former is slight judders and lags. Small but noticeable compared to Link.

If it's the latter, where should I get/see those values?

The latency is shown on the Virtual Steamer window. Before you start a game it will be showing the desktop Latency.

When you start a game and play, it will show the latency in that game. You have to take off your headset to see the latency.

Soldato
OP
The latency is shown on the Virtual Steamer window. Before you start a game it will be showing the desktop Latency.

When you start a game and play, it will show the latency in that game. You have to take off your headset to see the latency.
OK, managed to lower latency down, by reducing VR Bit Rate to minimum, and seemingly by enabling only Sliced Encoding.

In a game I was then hovering around, all over the place, between 29-44ms (approx).

In desktop view, a bit less, hovering all over say 26-38ms (approx).

Note: When VD is not enabled on the Oculus, I get 29ms reported rock solid? But I suspect that's just the last value reported?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How congested is the 5Ghz band on your router?
Goodness knows... All the main equipment around the house is hard wired. So it's just phones and other devices like printers and Alexas. But many of those no doubt use 2.4 instead?

There's a Sky Booster box elsewhere in the house... But the Oculus is being tested 1m from the main router.

Caporegime
Well, just as a heads up, all my Alexas connect on my 5Ghz, as well as the 3 mobile phones and 2 laptops.

I can see which devices are connected to each band by connecting to my BT Smart Hub 2 through its IP address, I'm assuming you can do similar on your router.

Soldato
OP
Well, just as a heads up, all my Alexas connect on my 5Ghz, as well as the 3 mobile phones and 2 laptops.

I can see which devices are connected to each band by connecting to my BT Smart Hub 2 through its IP address, I'm assuming you can do similar on your router.
The Sky hub just shows all devices connected, hardwired, 2.4 or 5ghz...

Caporegime
Looks like you can desync the bands in the Sky Hub, and give them separate SSIDs and then you essentially have 2 wifi connections and you can force devices to connect to 2.4Ghz, but whether it is worth the effort... I dunno.

Soldato
OP
Looks like you can desync the bands in the Sky Hub, and give them separate SSIDs and then you essentially have 2 wifi connections and you can force devices to connect to 2.4Ghz, but whether it is worth the effort... I dunno.
Don't think I'd want to do that. ie: Compromise the access of devices around the house etc...

ps: And this is Sky's newest router (and newest booster).

Soldato
What are other folks getting latency wise then out of interest? And how much does it fluctuate in use?

If you first go into Virtual desktop on your headset and check the streamer before you even start a game, what Latency does it say?

Also at the top of the menu window in Virtual desktop it shows the connection speed in Mbs, what is yours connected it?

EDIT: My Latency in most games now is around 22ms. The highest game is Asgard's Wrath and that's jumps between 30 and 40ms.

Soldato
OP
I was just thinking, if you do use the Quest in a space a fair distance away from your PC/router (eg: 8+ meters), if there's hardware to allow you do do the following. Pug a long USB 3 lead into your PC with some sort of 5Ghz hotspot device in the end of it, so then your Quest can connect straight to that hotspot near to it, which in turn is connected directly to your PC?

Permabanned
I was just thinking, if you do use the Quest in a space a fair distance away from your PC/router (eg: 8+ meters), if there's hardware to allow you do do the following. Pug a long USB 3 lead into your PC with some sort of 5Ghz hotspot device in the end of it, so then your Quest can connect straight to that hotspot near to it, which in turn is connected directly to your PC?

Yes a router. :)

Soldato
OP
Permabanned
And you run this as its own wireless network, or ontop of your existing router's network?

ps: Saw this comment by someone about it, "T&Cs tells you it sends data about your devices and network to Huawei which is totally unforgivable for a router imho."

Lots do, though you can generally turn it off. Dont think you can on this one. Either way its just diagnostic stuff.

Associate
I've been reading a fair bit on this as I'm new to it also.

The main consensus is... make sure you have a decent router for best results. Especially one with 80mhz range. I've just bought the AS58u so i'm hoping it bring a better performance than my Superhub from Virgin.

Back
Top Bottom