How long does a pc last? ( life span ) lol

Associate
I got a fun question lol cause im always curious what the life span of a pc is..
anyway lets say some one build's a pc with good brand parts with a good power supply and everything
how long will that pc life for?
ofcourse he will keep it clean and dust free but no upgrades how long will the pc work untill it decide to die and not work anymore whats the average life?
i heard stories that a pc can life up to 10 years even if you take care of it this true?
thats a long time :O
ofcourse itll be severely outdated by then but thats not the point of the question haha

Soldato
I've got an old packard bell corner pc I bought brand new in 1995 still going strong, and some old 286sx25 in the attic.
Also a zx spectrum I got for my birthday 1985ish.
There are many factors that could affect it as you say, plus the odd manufacturing hiccup may arise you cannot be sure.

A lot of folks still use old cpus like the 2500k as a primary gaming chip, thats 9 years old now so 10 is easy.

Associate
I bought my current CPU from OCUK on 30 October 2011. Still going strong.

In that time the only major upgrade has been a GPU, and that was 2nd hand from the MM.

So my next upgrade, hopefully Zen3 and whatever is better of the new AMD/Nvidia GPUs is going to be like going from VHS to 4K blu-ray!

Man of Honour
I've had the same PC 18 years and it still plays the latest games at 1440p.

I've replaced the case, motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, power supply and storage, but it's still going strong :cool:

Man of Honour
The only pieces of hardware I’ve had to change other than for an upgrade have been a motherboard that I accidentally short circuited with a screw driver and a 12 year old psu. Had nothing but problems with a gaming laptop I owned many years ago though - used to overheat cooking the gpu (replaced several times and eventually the cpu).

Soldato
I built an Athlon XP machine in either very late 2001 or early 2002, which I only stopped using entirely around xmas 2013. I did play around with upgrading the CPU and GPU in the last 18 months of its life, but it was otherwise pretty much original, including it's el-cheapo PSU.

Since xmas 2013, I've been running the same PC I replaced the AthlonXP one with, though I swapped out the CPU during its run.

Associate
I have a laptop, since 2013 and it's going strong.

As general guide u can plan your pc for around 7 - 10 years.
U will upgrade few parts over the life time but it should carry on alright.
Mors* law is slowing down, thus extending life time of current towers.

Associate
Well ive been using my current cpu,mobo, and ram for 6 years and the gpu for 3. with Zen 3 and the new rdna2 being as good as we all had hoped i might finally upgrade the whole system this time getting an NVME ssd

i got dual 32" 1440p lg screens crying out to be pushed to thier limits :D

Associate
Bought my current motherboard in 2009 ex58 ud3r in a 2006/7 antec 900 all of the components apart from motherboard and case have been upgraded, its rather neglected bottom is full of dust, had a psu and and a few hdd fail in that time but the motherboard still work fine as well as all the case fans.

Soldato
My 486 DX2 66Mhz 32mb ram and Wndows 98SE machine still boots and works fine, hdd was originally 200mb or so gone maybe 20yrs ago but worked still, has a 2.1gb wd i think. Was my first pc and probably well dated when it got to my hands in 96 or so when i was 14 as the Pentium was out a few years by then. Had 3.1 and DOS, quickly went for 95 then 98se. Quickly piqued my interest in computers and promptly started getting a myriad of k6-2 cpus and by 2000 got an Athlon 950 then a slew of Thunderbirds, XPs and X2s until core 2 lol.

Last edited:
Associate
if you take care for the components and you have a decent hardware it will last a long time
my mate is still using i5 750 that I sold him years ago (2009 was when i bought it) .. he just added an SSD for more snappiness :) he doesn't game but he is using it for "media consumption" every day.

Associate
Agree a pc can last a very long time but the effective use for an enthusiast I believe would be in the 5-7 year range for a moderately powerful pc built at a point in time, but the same machine could probably go on for 10 years plus for less severe uses.

My I5 6600k and 1070 built in 2016 is still more than usable for games, and I'm pretty sure it would easily do me another two or three years with slowly decreasing graphical fidelity, but I'm at the point of building a totally new machine once the AMD Nvidia stock situation and scalping subsides.

Back
Top Bottom