Parking charge notice?

Soldato
Got a letter today from some parking company saying the car spent too long at kfc car park so parking fine of 100 quid or 60 quid if payment done in 14 days. Going by the date this was in august during eat out to help out so the driver would have got stuck in the queue and would have taken time. They said 90mins limit and the car was 22mins above the 90.

Its not a police or council letter so any advice on what i should do?

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
If it's private then take it up with the branch in question and see if they can get it cancelled. Alternatively: look and post on pepipoo

Man of Honour
I saw people queuing for hours outside burger places. I thought they must be nuts. It's cheap, crap food (but admittedly can sometimes taste nice due to the salt and sugar they add). There is no way I would queue more than a few minutes for something like that.

If it's private then take it up with the branch in question and see if they can get it cancelled. Alternatively: look and post on pepipoo
Also this.

Soldato
Isn’t there a time limit you’re supposed to receive notice?

I would appeal and ask them if the letter got stuck in a queue just like you did at KFC.:p

Speak to the branch, they should be able to cancel it for you.

Soldato
On Pepipoo the militant response to these was to ignore it. I did that with one, again a stupid charge, where I wasn't even in the wrong. Visited the shop in question, whilst there, the attendants, must have thought because it's a motorcycle he can't really be visiting a vacuum cleaner shop took a photo of the bike. A couple of weeks later a letter came through the post.

They sent about 7 of them before they gave up.

Of course going this route an exceeding small number of people have been taken to court, very rare though. The government should really clamp down on stuff like this. Set clear laws like they did with clamping. As it is this stuff is mostly based on contract, and case law.

Associate
Does the letter ask you to pay the fine or identify the person who was driving?

I was in a similar position a couple of years back with a company notorious for "fining" people in very dubious circumstances. I was warned not to ignore it - there is caselaw that can see you held liable if you don't provide them with a serviceable address for the person who was driving. I dutifully provided them with the address of my cousin who was visiting from Pakistan and was driving that day.

These companies are an absolute blight. They spring up, rob a local community blind before shutting down when the authorities get involved, only to emerge with a slightly different name.

Like I say - a serviceable address.

Soldato
OP
They just asked to pay the fine thats all. They sent the letter 2 months after the incidence happened. Others are saying they need to send the letter before 14 days otherwise they cant pass the fine onto the registered keeper.
Not sure in that though.

tnx

tnx

Associate
They'll just pass it it onto a debt collecting service. Then it will be a couple of hundred quid.

Pay the £60 then forget it happened.

Similar happened to me in an Aldi car park in town. Spent too long long. I never even saw the camera logging the number plates.
I just paid the fine. Never parked there again.

Soldato
Going through one at the moment, we've appealed once (to the parking company) and have ignored them ever since. Wife was on the last week of a 4 week course at a town hall type place. Latest letter was from their solicitors, saying they might take us to court. Every time went tried to get in touch we've not been able to. Loads of people there on the day got fined because their system ****** up. I hate to think how many just paid to be rid of it.

Soldato
You acknowledge that you wwere there and over the time limit - Pay the fine

I'm more surprised you actually queued for 2 hours for a KFC, you must have been desperate.

Err no.

That's not how it works.

Also they aren't allowed to dish out fines or penalties. That why they call it a 'charge'.

Soldato
OP
Err no.

That's not how it works.

Also they aren't allowed to dish out fines or penalties. That why they call it a 'charge'.

Ehh what do you mean by that? The company is called civil enforcement so sounds serious from the name.
If fine is not paid dont they add points to your licence etc?

Soldato
Just get KFC to cancel it as you were in a queue.

Or like above, provide them with driver details of someone in another country (real ones OFC ;) ). Once you as the keeper pass the buck on to the "driver" they aren't allowed to chase you anymore. They will get nowhere give up :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Ehh what do you mean by that? The company is called civil enforcement so sounds serious from the name.
If fine is not paid dont they add points to your licence etc?

This is a private company. They cannot fine you or give a penalty or do anything to your licence.

https://www.ce-service.co.uk/
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05645677

They can only sue you for breach of contract. That's what this charge is. They are claiming you agreed to a contract (T&Cs they sometimes call it) which said if you parked over 90 minutes then you will pay a charge of £100.

Go back to KFC and read the sign. It's funny how this company are saying you are breaching a contract you clearly aren't even aware of ;).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom