Which Android phone for around £300?

Associate
Hi all,

Currently looking for a new phone for my wife, she currently has a Samsung Galaxy S7 which is in need of replacement.

A Samsung would be preferable as that's what she's used to but would be open to other options. Main requirements are a good camera, good battery life and decent amount of storage (external is fine).

What options does she have currently? The Samsung A range look promising but not sure whether they would be a good replacement for the S7.

The Samsung A71 and Google Pixel 4a are the current ones that are standing out to me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
The A71 and Pixel 4a are totally different sized phones, one being 6.7 and the other 5.8. The Pixel 4a is a good phone and was critically well-received.

Associate
OP
The A71 and Pixel 4a are totally different sized phones, one being 6.7 and the other 5.8. The Pixel 4a is a good phone and was critically well-received.

That's why i'm asking for advice, i'm not to clued up on recent phones.

So i'm looking at around 6" for the screen size. A bit bigger than the S7 but not too big.

Soldato
I was weighing up getting a Samsung A71 but ended up getting a Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite on offer for £240 and it's honestly been the best phone I've ever had.

With the cost of phone technology now, I don't think there's any point in spending more than £299-£399 on a phone for the majority of people.

Soldato
@eggyoke
Can you confirm if the phone has a proper audio DAC in it please?
The Xiaomi site is useless and you would think it would be a selling point if it has.
GSMarena says it has 24-bit/192kHz audio which sounds like a DAC.
How can I check? I'm not too good with stuff like this tbh :o

I can confidently say that the headphone quality is fantastic though, I sat listening to play playlist because it sounds much better than my onboard PC audio.

Man of Honour
How can I check? I'm not too good with stuff like this tbh :o

I can confidently say that the headphone quality is fantastic though, I sat listening to play playlist because it sounds much better than my onboard PC audio.

It may say in Settings :Audio.
Having a DAC in a phone is a big deal so I'm surprised they're not shouting about it.

Soldato
It may say in Settings :Audio.
Having a DAC in a phone is a big deal so I'm surprised they're not shouting about it.
Hmm, nothing is standing out to me. Under "Audio Settings" there's a Volume Adjustment (for auditory perception), an Equalizer, Mi Sound Enhancer (when using speakers) and a headphone type selection, but there's no mention of DAC that I can see.

Soldato
The OP said "So i'm looking at around 6" for the screen size. A bit bigger than the S7 but not too big", yet people are suggesting 6.8" behemoths.

I know there's a dearth of decent, smaller Androids, but come on.

Back
Top Bottom