• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
AMD have stuffed the NVIDIA cards.

NVIDIA high end GPUs like the 3080 will have worst textures than the digital PS5 which is like half its price in 2 years time lol.

Most people who jump on the pre-order bandwagon will have upgraded again within 2 years so that point it moot.

AMD need to create an answer to DLSS because currently any game that supports it will be approx 25% faster on Nvidia's 3000 series compared to their big Navi cards. AMD have done brilliantly here though and I look forward to seeing reviews with actual apples to apples comparisons :)

Associate
I think people are also getting a bit ahead if themselves. These cards (6800/6800XT) are very competitive, but not guaranteed to be better than 3080 over a wide range of games on a non-Zen3 system.

On the flip side people are going out of their way to say the 6800XT is only competitive with the 3080 when smart access memory is enabled, which isn't what the slides showed at all.

FrFM62O.png

TrPtkTA.png

Associate
Big Navi, in combination with Zen3, is one of the most exciting launches I can remember. I can't wait. :)

That combo was a nice surprise.
I am buying the zen3 first a 5600x then most likely await big navi 6700xt early next year.
way good for my 1440p resolution.
or I SNAG A 6800 IF I CANT WAIT....

Soldato
I wonder if there is any chance that the UK price of the RX 6800 will match the dollar price, equivalent to £445.9? If its priced at £500 that would be ok IMO.

Permabanned
You don't have to turn it on. Not really a big hit.

I think people are also getting a bit ahead if themselves. These cards (6800/6800XT) are very competitive, but not guaranteed to be better than 3080 over a wide range of games on a non-Zen3 system.
5%
New-Way2.jpg

Soldato
What I didn't expect was that the 6900XT would turn into a genuine 3090 competitor... I simply didn't think they could do it. However, to then do it with the same size card as a 6800XT is just staggeringly awesome and makes the 3090 look like the ridiculous hulking monstrosity that it is. Even though I didn't think they had one in the bag, I figured if they released a 3090 competitor they would likely undercut it in price... but again... by over 50% at $1000? Holy **** AMD... you knocked it out of the park! :eek:

I alwasy did think this was a possibility - the 3090 does not have that much of an advantage over the 3080. If they could do enough to match the 3080 they always had a chance of matching the 3090.

Those who have managed to grab one spending £1700-1900 on a 3090 must really be regretting it. I must admit I was tempted at times when I saw them come up.

Soldato
Most people who jump on the pre-order bandwagon will have upgraded again within 2 years so that point it moot.

AMD need to create an answer to DLSS because currently any game that supports it will be approx 25% faster on Nvidia's 3000 series compared to their big Navi cards. AMD have done brilliantly here though and I look forward to seeing reviews with actual apples to apples comparisons :)

Yeah but how many games are going to support DLSS? I own a 2080 and I've used DLSS twice so far in two years.

DLSS being based on developer adoption, a big pile of money from NVIDIA and NVIDIA helping the developer with the super computers just isn't a model I see viable for longevity.

Soldato
I saw somewhere that the 16GB VRAM is GDDR6 rather than GDDR6X but not sure what the relevance of that is.

GDDR6X is faster per pin, it can be higher bandwidth but it costs more because it uses a signalling system which is more prone to noise issues (PAM4). AMD's raw bandwidth numbers are lower as a result of that and just narrower memory buses, but it's supposed to be compensating with its infinity cache tech (basically 128MB of on-die L3).

Soldato
I'm not surprised at all by these prices. Since Lisa Su has taken over AMD has headed towards a 'premium' product price that Intel & Nvidia charges. AMD has previousily offered good products at lower prices than Nvidia (the 480 & 580 for example) yet still gets absolutley shredded in terms of adoption numbers. Theres no point lowering pricing when people wont buy them anyway so might as well max out the money they can make on those that will consider the product.

You would be pretty hardcore Nvidia fan to ignore them when the 6800XT is cheaper and essentially the same speed but has 16GB Vram. With AMD 'finewine' drivers will also improve after launch. The answer to DLSS is coming soon too. Herkelman mentions it at 22:06 in this video.

Associate
Very interesting... so basically since the first rumors came out the reality is that the 6800XT has taken the place of the 6900XT and what I thought was the 6900XT in the AMD Zen3 presentation was in fact the 6800XT. Same tier as I thought, different name. For $649 that is VERY impressive and that is likely what I am going to get my hands on. :D

What I didn't expect was that the 6900XT would turn into a genuine 3090 competitor... I simply didn't think they could do it. However, to then do it with the same size card as a 6800XT is just staggeringly awesome and makes the 3090 look like the ridiculous hulking monstrosity that it is. Even though I didn't think they had one in the bag, I figured if they released a 3090 competitor they would likely undercut it in price... but again... by over 50% at $1000? Holy **** AMD... you knocked it out of the park! :eek:

In combination with a 5900x, a 6800XT is going to be a killer card and it will be interesting to see if the prices stay at MSRP level at the launch. I will be doing everything I can to grab one.

I feel sorry for anyone who bought a 10GB 3080 for gouging prices, because AMD now have a card that equals it with 60% more VRAM. Or I especially pity anyone who bought a 3080 Mug Edition, also known as the 3090. To be equalled by a card that costs 60%+ less in a much smaller size with less power draw just confirms that the 3090 was an absolute just a joke of a card. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and all of these cards that equal or exceed performance use good old GDDR6... meaning that AMD have really shown their engineering skills and that Nvidia really made a mistake using GDDR6x which drove their costs up while delivering no real benefit over GDDR6.

Big Navi, in combination with Zen3, is one of the most exciting launches I can remember. I can't wait. :)

Jensen said back at launch the 3090 wasn't a gaming card and I think (and have been saying for weeks now) Nvidia knew exactly what was coming from AMD and why they did the stupid things they did.

But the one thing Jensen didn't do was tout the 3090 as the top gaming card and I think this is why, the incoming RDNA2 because had anyone bought a 3090 thinking it's the top gaming card they would be royally ****** right now and rightly so.

Again been saying it for a while, Nvidia lost this round and havent been fighting it for weeks, they are aiming for a Ti/Super launch asap in 2021, the 3070 is a stop gap face saver.

Anyone looking at 3090 money should be looking for the 5900cpu and 6900 gpu the combined uplift in IPC on the cpu + The GPU and the way the two now interact should give the best performance for the price. And RT?? Really dont give a rats about RT the Ampere cards still dont push FPS high enough with it on.

Soldato
Problem now is that Intel and Nvidia might see the need for their own proprietary advantages.

Will AMD allow Intel to have Direct Memory Access?

If it forces Intel to innovate for once I don't see how that's a bad thing for the consumer. At the end of the day AMD is now ultra competitive in the GPU arena and dominates the CPU market, this is great for the gamer. The NV/Intel duopoly is in pieces!

Associate
Good launch, excited to see AMD punching back. Looks like the products trade blows with Nvidias lineup right across the board which is great news for gamers as we now have some genuine competition.

My main concerns are that while they're competitive at rasterization, where are the ray tracing benchmarks and where is a DLSS equivalent? Ray tracing effects are only really going to be possible at low resolutions so the up scaling is important. A big question on many peoples minds is going to be something like, we're about to see ray tracing in Cyber Punk 2077, lots of people upgrading specifically for this game and will want to try out RT effects. What will the AMD experience be like.

Normally AMD are good in the lower end segments but the RX 6800 coming in at an RSRP of $580 is a bit odd. It's hard to imagine people not spending the extra $70 on the 6800 XT

Soldato
To be honest here the AMD ecosystem and how they work together will be very hard to ignore in the coming years. Very interesting times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom