Smartphones with excellent Audio

Man of Honour
I've put this here because it's the audio I'm after and we have more experts in here regarding sound.

I've done a Google search and come across a few options because it would mean I could get rid of my Cowon Plenue D.
I've seen one phone that looks interesting, the Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite but looking around at the Specs I still don't know if it has a dedicated DAC.
There are specs that say it has a 24-bit/192kHz audio which sounds like a DAC to me.

Any thoughts?

They all have a 'basic' DAC chip, you could grab a AudioQuest DragonFly or FiiO BTR5 if you wanted to improve the Audio through wired headphones (The BTR5 will make your wir4ed headphones wireless), or if you intend to use Bluetooth headphones then they will have a built-in DAC so the phone DAC won't matter to much.

I personally find the onboard DAC on most phones 'sufficient' with IEMS or I use BT headphones from B&W.

Soldato
I doubt any can be classed as being 'excellent', because it's a do-it-all device. The vast majority of people either don't know, or don't care, as long as it's good enough. I'd be surprised if any of the phone manufacturers make a phone with great sound for the few that do care.

I would guess it's less of a DAC issue, but more of a proper amplification one.

I don't want sufficient though, I'm used to listening through Fidue A83s from a Cowon Plenue D DAP.
I'm sure there are cheaper phones out there that can provide the same quality as the Cowon.

Depends what you consider 'cheap' (?) The only phone I know that has a better than average dac in is the LG thinQ G8 which has a Sabre Quad Dac. The first thing I would do is plug your Fidue A38s into a couple of phones and see how they compare to your Cowon, let your ears decide.

Also like I said, you can always upgrade the phone's audio quality with a DragonFly or something like the FiiO BTR5.

I would guess it's less of a DAC issue, but more of a proper amplification one.

This is true.

Last edited:
I already have a Fiio and a Creative, I want a one solution device so I don't have to drag a phone and a DAP around with me.

The LG is really the only choice then if your looking for a good DAC, have you tried your Fidue A38s with a 'regular' phone and tested it out? Your ears should be the judge, not the specs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom