• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I never implied that 8GB was "enough" and obviously RDNA2 having 16GB across the board is amazing. That doesn't however translate to consoles, its a 16GB shared system memory which has to take care of EVERYTHING including VRAM so your inane comments about consoles having more VRAM than the new RTX cards is just silly.

How much VRAM Can XSX devote to a game? I've read its around 10-13GB of VRAM. Thats bigger than 8GB.
Does all of our VRAM on our GPUs go to the video game or does the PC use any of it for something else?

8GB IMO is not enough and we'll see this console generation 6800+ owners keeping hold of their cards longer than 3070+ owners.

Soldato
Only a small percent of people seem to care about RT (Mostly the cult of Nvidia), and DLSS does have an answer from AMD, and tbh DLSS is pants on Nvidia atm too, I have had it for 2 years and used it urmmm NEVER!!

I own an RTX card and I can say I've used RT twice and sometimes I need to toggle on/off a couple of times to see the difference.
DLSS has helped me twice and there have been plenty of games (RDR2, HZD) where I could have done with DLSS, and its not there.

Associate
I see what you're getting at, but it's competiton that drives innovation, that's what has happened here, now Intel in particular have to answer. And so it goes on...

How is it any different to Nvidias blackbox gameworks? Or Intels code patching if it detects an AMD cpu etc? Lol.

Intel / Nvidia have been doing this stuff for years, the problem for them is they dont produce CPUs and GPUs, AMD have wised up and played them at their own game.

Also a lot of this tech is all based on DirectX12 Ultimate, so i dont think Intel and Nvidia will be totally locked out, Frank Azor even states in the video i posted above they worked with Microsoft on some of the features.

Man of Honour
@humbug are you gona give @Rroff a hard time for him getting it wrong about the performance charts from the last presentation being the top GPU? :p

While I did get that wrong - I got the specs of the card they were using correct and did allow there might be a faster GPU :p

Looks like AMD Smart Access was the additional IO capabilities I noticed.

Associate
I still don't get the point of DLSS. It's game specific and it's only of use if you don't have enough grunt for native resolution. I'd just use a lower res monitor as native, hence I use 1440p, but that's just me :)

Primarily to compliment ray tracing. To do any kind of ray tracing is real time is still way too expensive to do in resolutions above 720p last gen or 1080p this gen, so to play games in 1440p or 4k as gamers are coming to expect, you need some kind of smart upscaling. It's sort of suspicious this was missing from AMDs lineup today as were any kind of ray tracing benchmarks. Game specific implementation of DLSS is fine because it's mostly helpful as a sister technology to RTX, and if a studio does one with their game they'll naturally do both.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
While I did get that wrong - I got the specs of the card they were using correct and did allow there might be a faster GPU :p

Looks like AMD Smart Access was the additional IO capabilities I noticed.
You got it wrong mate ;)

Haha. Just kidding. Happens to us all, especially humbug, he gets it wrong quite often, happy he was right on this occasion though :D

Associate
How much VRAM Can XSX devote to a game? I've read its around 10-13GB of VRAM. Thats bigger than 8GB.
Does all of our VRAM on our GPUs go to the video game or does the PC use any of it for something else?

8GB IMO is not enough and we'll see this console generation 6800+ owners keeping hold of their cards longer than 3070+ owners.

Again with the stupid, the 3070 moves vRam differently with 6x memory and by the time you worry about the 3070 and these games that require more vRam than the 3070 can handle you will have turned your in game settings down anyway because the raterisation will run out WAY before the vRam. Honestly the amount of uninformed morons spouting the same rubbish about vRam amazes me, go do some Google before you speak factually.

Soldato
How is it any different to Nvidias blackbox gameworks? Or Intels code patching if it detects an AMD cpu etc? Lol.

Intel / Nvidia have been doing this stuff for years, the problem for them is they dont produce CPUs and GPUs, AMD have wised up and played them at their own game.

Also a lot of this tech is all based on DirectX12 Ultimate, so i dont think Intel and Nvidia will be totally locked out, Frank Azor even states in the video i posted above they worked with Microsoft on some of the features.

I never said they'd be locked out, I simply said AMD have an eco system of their own, and NV sell you a card. That's just the facts.

Soldato
The best part is that this isn't even max performance. While Ampere is maxed out straight from the factory we know these can do 2.4 Ghz & more depending on the cooling. In reality the AIB vs AIB fight will be a BLOODBATH in AMD's favor! :D

Might actually watercool for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom