If we were told WW3 was about to start and we all had to man up?

Caporegime
Typical short-sighted older guy post. Younger people have a completely different set of challenges to what other generations faced created by - guess what - their elders.

Your lack of understanding of the challenges doesn’t diminish them.

And yes, we all want a comfortable life. Who doesn’t???

Rubbish.

During world war 2 it was about saving lives.

Young children were sent away by their parents to keep them safe.

We are in the middle of a pandemic. And uni students are rioting because they can't go to the pub, they would rather get drunk than stay home to save lives.

This generation should be ashamed of themselves they don't even know the definition of sacrifice.

Or are you going to say that being taken away from your parents for years at the age of 8 was no big deal?

Why these morons can't follow simple rules to save lives is beyond comprehension and just pure selfishness.

Soldato
absolute dribble

You forget that this generation is being led by an absolutely incompetent government. Nevermind the youth of today, I wouldn't trust our PM to navigate us through wartimes without sending the UK back to the dark ages.

Then you look at the fact that most people nowadays have been born in peace time, so have had no need to show the type of resilience our ancestors did. Mind you, our ancestors didn't have the struggles of student debt, stagnant wages, out of reach housing market, increasing cost of living.. need the list go on?

You can't compare generations to each other, entirely different set of environments.

Soldato
I'd probably sit back with a beer and watch the ocuk alpha's and keyboard 'ard knocks wade through Jonny foreigner like a hot knife through butter whist singing songs about the good times they had in WWII and the empire or something.

Im not sure there would be much to watch though beyond a load of Derrick's ******* their knickers.

That's cool man, you'll get to see what an occupying army does to women first hand while they're drinking your beer and the rest of us are dead

Caporegime
You forget that this generation is being led by an absolutely incompetent government. Nevermind the youth of today, I wouldn't trust our PM to navigate us through wartimes without sending the UK back to the dark ages.

Then you look at the fact that most people nowadays have been born in peace time, so have had no need to show the type of resilience our ancestors did. Mind you, our ancestors didn't have the struggles of student debt, stagnant wages, out of reach housing market, increasing cost of living.. need the list go on?

You can't compare generations to each other, entirely different set of environments.

Ok go cause more deaths because you have a student loan.

Sounds like great logic.

Soldato
I've only got one beer, how fast are they likely to occupy us?

My point basically is that people may wish to not fight and object to it, but if a foreign army wanted to invade and occupy Britain then ultimately you're fighting for the defence of your family, friends and fellow citizens. Look what happened when the Russians entered Berlin, or when the Germans occupied Eastern Europe; this is why you should defend your country if ever that did happen which I highly doubt since we're a nuclear power.

Soldato
Rubbish.

We are in the middle of a pandemic. And uni students are rioting because they can't go to the pub, they would rather get drunk than stay home to save lives.

This generation should be ashamed of themselves they don't even know the definition of sacrifice.

Or are you going to say that being taken away from your parents for years at the age of 8 was no big deal?

Why these morons can't follow simple rules to save lives is beyond comprehension and just pure selfishness.

We live in the world in which you've raised us. Not the other way around. If we are anything, it's because of the previous generation. So I don't understand why you think it's OK to continually denigrate young people and blame them for how they turned out.

Moreover, the UK government allowed people to go back to pubs. Most likely because Tim from Wetherspoons is a Conservative party donator. Then we have universities reopening, which wasn't decided by the students. Again, government. Who are not millennials or whatever younger generation you'd like to blame this time round. They go back to uni. Guess what - they move around and take corona with them because they've done what the government told them.

We are fortunate enough to live in a world where our grandparents gave their lives for us. I don't think they are going round complaining that we aren't all in the trenches. They gave us our freedom, and my guess is that they're delighted that their grandchildren haven't been sent to live in the countryside instead of dodging bombs.

If I had to defend my country from facists or defend millions of Jews from Nazis, I'd probably give it a go. I would most likely hate every second of it. You think the young men who fought in WW2 felt like they were off on a jolly? They came back heros, but the majority spent their years defending people ******** bricks, not knowing if they'd make it home.

Caporegime
We live in the world in which you've raised us. Not the other way around. If we are anything, it's because of the previous generation. So I don't understand why you think it's OK to continually denigrate young people and blame them for how they turned out.

Moreover, the UK government allowed people to go back to pubs. Most likely because Tim from Wetherspoons is a Conservative party donator. Then we have universities reopening, which wasn't decided by the students. Again, government. Who are not millennials or whatever younger generation you'd like to blame this time round. They go back to uni. Guess what - they move around and take corona with them because they've done what the government told them.

We are fortunate enough to live in a world where our grandparents gave their lives for us. I don't think they are going round complaining that we aren't all in the trenches. They gave us our freedom, and my guess is that they're delighted that their grandchildren haven't been sent to live in the countryside instead of dodging bombs.

If I had to defend my country from facists or defend millions of Jews from Nazis, I'd probably give it a go. I would most likely hate every second of it. You think the young men who fought in WW2 felt like they were off on a jolly? They came back heros, but the majority spent their years defending people ******** bricks, not knowing if they'd make it home.

Oh so you have to follow everything the government says?

I didn't eat out to help out, not even once. I used my brain and weighed up the pros and cons. Half price food with a side of Corona so I can possibly infect vulnerable people, no thanks.

You cannot just blame the government when you have access to all the information at your fingertips.

Oh but the government said it was okay. Well were the government right when they decided to call a EU referendum? Were the government right when they decided to let trump have over £100m worth of priceless land for £5m to build a golf course?

On your way sheep. Go follow everything the government tells you to do.

It's not that hard to understand. Only do what is essential until there is a vaccine. Sacrifice luxuries involving mingling with others for a year or so.

Or does the government need to tattoo this onto peoples foreheads before they understand?

Soldato
Oh so you have to follow everything the government says?

I didn't eat out to help out, not even once. I used my brain and weighed up the pros and cons. Half price food with a side of Corona so I can possibly infect vulnerable people, no thanks.

You cannot just blame the government when you have access to all the information at your fingertips.

Oh but the government said it was okay. Well were the government right when they decided to call a EU referendum? Were the government right when they decided to let trump have over £100m worth of priceless land for £5m to build a golf course?

On your way sheep. Go follow everything the government tells you to do.

It's not that hard to understand. Only do what is essential until there is a vaccine. Sacrifice luxuries involving mingling with others for a year or so.

Or does the government need to tattoo this onto peoples foreheads before they understand?

Certainly not, but it's very easy to shift the blame onto the younger population.

You've not come back to me on anything other than COVID. Not the subject at hand.

Man of Honour

I only found this out about my dad a few months before his death. He was staying with my brother in Kings Lynn due to his illness and he commented that he hadn't been there since he was a kid. When my brother asked more about it he said he had been evacuated from London to stay with a family there. It just hadn't occurred to us before that.

We live in the world in which you've raised us. Not the other way around. If we are anything, it's because of the previous generation.
I know that wasn't a reply to me. But I suspect I'm a similar age. You will also look back one day and realise that the younger generation will blame you too for everything they see as unfair to them. Everything you do right now will be used by someone to beat you with. It doesn't matter that decisions you take now are done with the best of intentions. They will still be used as the reason for someone else not achieving. Enjoy :)

Caporegime
I only found this out about my dad a few months before his death. He was staying with my brother in Kings Lynn due to his illness and he commented that he hadn't been there since he was a kid. When my brother asked more about it he said he had been evacuated from London to stay with a family there. It just hadn't occurred to us before that.

I know that wasn't a reply to me. But I suspect I'm a similar age. You will also look back one day and realise that the younger generation will blame you too for everything they see as unfair to them. Everything you do right now will be used by someone to beat you with. It doesn't matter that decisions you take now are done with the best of intentions. They will still be used as the reason for someone else not achieving. Enjoy :)

Your dad made a real sacrifice. He had to leave his family go live far away at a young age. I imagine it wasn't just a couple of months either.

Yet people today can't give up the pub for a while. It's disgusting how entitled they feel that their enjoyment is more important than saving lives.

Your grandparents too will have sacrificed also. I bet they would have done it again too if need be.

People are all about me, me, me these days. With no thought about the greater good.

Conspiracy nut jobs, anti maskers, seriously could you imagine if these folk were around during world war two saying nanny state don't send your kids to the countryside. They would have been jailed.

Man of Honour
Your grandparents too will have sacrificed also. I bet they would have done it again too if need be.

Yes they certainly did. They owned a series of pubs in East London. I can't recall which pub now, because they owned a few over the years and the top floor was hit by a bomb. I don't think it exploded but the top floor had to be removed. The pub isn't owned by our family anymore although even today the pub is missing that top floor.

One of my grandfathers didn't fight in WW2 but did in WW1. I remember when my brother and I stayed at their house during the school holidays in the 1970's that we found a German Luger and a soldiers knife in his wardrobe. Apparently he'd taken them off a soldier he had killed. Ironically he would have seen the Spanish Flu pandemic back then too.

Soldato
Your dad made a real sacrifice. He had to leave his family go live far away at a young age. I imagine it wasn't just a couple of months either.

Yet people today can't give up the pub for a while. It's disgusting how entitled they feel that their enjoyment is more important than saving lives.

People are all about me, me, me these days. With no thought about the greater good.

Conspiracy nut jobs, anti maskers, seriously could you imagine if these folk were around during world war two saying nanny state don't send your kids to the countryside. They would have been jailed.

I don't think that's the issue. You're talking about a child being forced away by bombs falling from the sky...

Young people aren't the anti-maskers.

Soldato
G. Michael Hopf said it best, "Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

We are currently moving into the weak men create hard times section of the cycle.

Caporegime
I don't think that's the issue. You're talking about a child being forced away by bombs falling from the sky...

Young people aren't the anti-maskers.

They are the ones going to pubs though aren't they?

They are also congregating in protests and mass parties.

It doesn't matter if it's a bomb or a virus the net result is the same people who get hit with either risk death or ill health, etc.

The point is that previous generations made huge sacrifices no questions asked.

Yet current generation can't stay away from the pub for a few months to help save lives.

It's a ridiculous state of affairs that because I'll be alright most likely I don't care about helping spread it.

What if the Nazis had created a similar virus? I have no doubt that the previous generation would have complied with common sense approach of minimising contact with others unless essential to do so.

However this generation can't. Some can but with all the fines being handed out and parties being broken up and mass parties in streets shows us this generation doesn't care about saving lives.

Soldato
They are the ones going to pubs though aren't they?

They are also congregating in protests and mass parties.

It doesn't matter if it's a bomb or a virus the net result is the same people who get hit with either risk death or ill health, etc.

The point is that previous generations made huge sacrifices no questions asked.

Yet current generation can't stay away from the pub for a few months to help save lives.

It's a ridiculous state of affairs that because I'll be alright most likely I don't care about helping spread it.

What if the Nazis had created a similar virus? I have no doubt that the previous generation would have complied with common sense approach of minimising contact with others unless essential to do so.

However this generation can't. Some can but with all the fines being handed out and parties being broken up and mass parties in streets shows us this generation doesn't care about saving lives.

Everyone's going to the pub! I've been about 4 times and I can tell you there was no specific age group.

I like how you're trying to deflect the blame. I remember at the beginning, just before we hit the first peak, most of the people in the shops who weren't wearing masks were middle aged. They also weren't respecting social distancing.

Soldato
Yep most non mask wearers seem to be the older generation, and those going to the pub.

Like young people can afford to go out drinking.. :rolleyes::D

Caporegime
Everyone's going to the pub! I've been about 4 times and I can tell you there was no specific age group.

I like how you're trying to deflect the blame. I remember at the beginning, just before we hit the first peak, most of the people in the shops who weren't wearing masks were middle aged. They also weren't respecting social distancing.

It was young folk who weren't wearing masks when I went to Asda and IKEA. Everyone else had one on but I'm in Scotland where rules about masks were brought in much earlier and we have taken a much better approach initially than England at the start. Not been keeping up recently.

Pubs again are all young folk here. Yeah you will have all ages in them but majority of older folk are staying away.

It's not all young folk but majority for sure. You will always have idiots at all ages breaking rules especially if neds are involved.

Like the two junkies coming right up to me begging for money when I've gotten out my car to drop cash off at the bank. Literally had to tell them to **** off and they shouldn't be approaching people.

I think it's safe to assume most folk over the age of 50 are actively avoiding pubs.

Back
Top Bottom