• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Good thing that 3000 cards was a paper launch, makes this waiting game much easier.

With amd's 6000 series launch it looks like 6800xt and 3080 are about similar in performance and as such the price is essentially the same.

It is very suspicious that they did not show raytracing performance, which leads me to believe that it's awful, which would make it a pointless feature if the performance hit lowers fps below desirable levels.

Which leaves the question, which card is better value for money, 6800xt or 3080?

I have a 1440p ultrawide monitor and I kinda looked forward to playing some games with raytracing and dlss. So I suppose it comes down to nvidia DLSS + RT (as in playable fps RT) vs 6gb extra VRAM on amd card? What do you guys thinkg. What bout GDDR6X vs GDDR6, will this be a significant advantage or not down the road?

Permabanned
Elbzk6qWkAM_9M9
Nice

Soldato
XSX, PS5 pack 16Gb but that's not dedicated vRAM, it's shared across the entire system for the OS + game memory + video memory. At most 10Gb of that can be used for vRAM

16Gb of vRAM is useless, the overwhelming majority of games at 4k ultra today use about 6Gb of vRAM :D

Yes, today because we've been going off the baseline set by consoles. Gaming is revolved around PS4/XBOX at present.

Now we're making the move to PS5, you will see, just like every single console generation, a generational leap in game complexity and demand on GPU and VRAM.

"The XSX has 13.5GB of VRAM to allocate to games, and must share this amount with the CPU. Also only 10GB of the XSX's VRAM has the faster bandwidth of 560GB/s, the other 3.5 GB runs at 336 GB/s. Developers will not likely be allocating more than 10GB to the GPU, otherwise they run into a bandwidth penalty." ... so still more than 8GB. Lets also not ignore the optimisations and streamlined approach of consoles nor the fact that our windows PC also uses some of the GPU.

Caporegime
AMD thinks their prices are reasonable cause the RTX 3090 is priced at £1400, that's the sad thing :rolleyes:

Then we have the new consoles which only cost between £250-£500... Maybe its just s lot cheaper to produce the console SOCs, vs Ryzen and RDNA 2 desktop CPUs and GPUs.
It's a waste of time mate.

Most people here are happy to spend £500+ on a mid-range GPU (ie the 3070 or the 6700XT). It's just the way things have gone.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done, people are buying £500 mid-range GPUs in the millions. These will doubtless sell out within hours.

And then when you add mining to the mix....

Some of us do remember when top-end GPUs were £250. Or not so long ago, when mid-range GPUs were £200-£250.

Not these days :p Not any more.

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my system for the Reverb G2 I have on pre order. I see no mention of VR peformance on these AMD cards. I'm think of getting a RX 6800 XT. Has anyone seen any mention of VR or know what AMD have been like historically regarding VR ?

Soldato
14 currently and 25 games that have been confirmed including Cyberpunk 2077, Watchdog Legion and Vampire Masquerade.

Exactly. Thats pretty pathetic IMO.
From those 14 games released, I personally only really fancied playing Metro Exodus and SOTRR and they destroyed my FPS.

People keep talking about DLSS and RTX as if its in every single game when its far from the truth. There is a strong likelyhood that dependant on gaming habits and preferences, maybe 5% of your gameplay time will benefit from RTX/DLSS.

Soldato
Again with the stupid, the 3070 moves vRam differently with 6x memory and by the time you worry about the 3070 and these games that require more vRam than the 3070 can handle you will have turned your in game settings down anyway because the raterisation will run out WAY before the vRam. Honestly the amount of uninformed morons spouting the same rubbish about vRam amazes me, go do some Google before you speak factually.

So why did the 2080ti have so much VRAM as its around the same as 3070 re: rasterisation? Just for fun?
Did no 2080ti owners ever use all of their VRAM up?

Being a 2080 owner, I have been bottlenecked by my VRAM in 1 or 2 games before (these are games based on the PS4 generation of games).

Tiny_D what do you do as a job?

Permabanned
It's a waste of time mate.

Most people here are happy to spend £500+ on a mid-range GPU (ie the 3070 or the 6700XT). It's just the way things have gone.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done, people are buying £500 mid-range GPUs in the millions. These will doubtless sell out within hours.

And then when you add mining to the mix....

Some of us do remember when top-end GPUs were £250. Or not so long ago, when mid-range GPUs were £200-£250.

Not these days :p Not any more.
Those days are long gone.

People have been brainwashed with the arrival of the 2080ti. Now everything is measured in relation to that.
What these new GPU’s are only £650... That the bargain of the century. 30% more performance for half the price.

Thus Nvidia have cleverly raised the minimum entry price of a mid range gpu.

Associate
Exactly. Thats pretty pathetic IMO.
From those 14 games released, I personally only really fancied playing Metro Exodus and SOTRR and they destroyed my FPS.

People keep talking about DLSS and RTX as if its in every single game when its far from the truth. There is a strong likelyhood that dependant on gaming habits and preferences, maybe 5% of your gameplay time will benefit from RTX/DLSS.
I'll take the proven RT perf and DLSS over the gamble that more than 10GB VRAM is going to be beneficial.

Soldato
Good for AMD, but will still be sticking with my 3090 pre-order for a few reasons

• I do actually need the VRAM for my workflow.
  • 6900XT does win in their graphs, but footnote shows RAGE MODE, & smart access memory was needed, so need to remove 5-15% off the scores from if you don't use those or can't.
  • its AMD doing the benchmarks.
  • not sure about RT support
  • will look forward to the GN benchmarks specially on AIB's

However good luck to AMD really do hope they can compete & beat NVIDIA for the masses., just think from those graphs rage mode & smart access is required to beat the 3090.

hope you all get cards before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom