• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'll take the proven RT perf and DLSS over the gamble that more than 10GB VRAM is going to be beneficial.

Really? In a handful of games?

Thats insane. Have you used RT?

I have and I'm honestly not at all that impressed given my FPS plummets to sub 60 at times. And even if it doesn't, I'd in most circumstances prefer 80-120fps over hovering around 60.

PC Gamers are so funny. We all want high FPS high resolution gaming until NVIDIA tells us no we want raytraced shadows now :D

Caporegime
Inflation, cost for 7nm wafers, nvidia raising prices.
yea now we have this situation.
6700xt should be amazing for 1440p players
If you want 100+ FPS at 1440p you'll need a 6800XT/3800. Just look at the charts AMD showed. Some games already well below the 120-144Hz mark on a 6800XT :p

I really don't like the talk that 3080 etc is "a 4k card". Sure it's the best card for 4K, but it's not exactly overkill for high refresh at lower resolutions. In fact it's pretty necessary if you want 100+ FPS in all your games.

Don
Good for AMD, but will still be sticking with my 3090 pre-order for a few reasons

• I do actually need the VRAM for my workflow.
  • 6900XT does win in their graphs, but footnote shows RAGE MODE, & smart access memory was needed, so need to remove 5-15% off the scores from if you don't use those or can't.
  • its AMD doing the benchmarks.
  • not sure about RT support
  • will look forward to the GN benchmarks specially on AIB's

However good luck to AMD really do hope they can compete & beat NVIDIA for the masses., just think from those graphs rage mode & smart access is required to beat the 3090.

hope you all get cards before Christmas

Sort of sums it up for me, very nice cards and very happy AMD are back in the top tier. Looking forward to seeing reviews and real world benches.

Soldato
AMD fanboys on the other thread would say that even if AMD released a better card, NVIDA fanboys would still buy NVIDIA and latch onto any reason to stay team green despite superior product.
I thought those AMD guys were wrong and underestimating NVIDIA owners. Man I was wrong.

Associate
AMD have such an advantage going second and cherrypicking those games.

Yeah, I'm just watching Steves video on gamer nexus and he did point out that benchmarks comparisons had these features on an account for some % of the difference, and that game benefits are per game, noting that 13% improvement was itself an outlier. Problem is with such a small sample of games we don't know if they were either themselves outliers, or to what degree infinity cache needs to be optimised per game. This is why (just like with Nvidia) we need to take benchmarks from these launch events with a grain of salt, we all saw how Nvidias benchmark claims were similarly cherry picked and gamed especially with RT usage.

Yep

2 entire threads of hundreds of pages of discussion about vRAM usage including new ways of measuring real vRAM, currently most tools measure memory allocated which is a gross over estimation of what is actually used. Bottom line is most games at 4k Ultra are about 6Gb, almost none go above 8Gb, to my knowledge only 2 so far break 8Gb which is Avegners and FS2020 both of which are unplayable frame rates maxed out even on a 3090. >=8Gb of these cards will be sat empty doing nothing.

Associate
It's a waste of time mate.

Most people here are happy to spend £500+ on a mid-range GPU (ie the 3070 or the 6700XT). It's just the way things have gone.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done, people are buying £500 mid-range GPUs in the millions. These will doubtless sell out within hours.

And then when you add mining to the mix....

Some of us do remember when top-end GPUs were £250. Or not so long ago, when mid-range GPUs were £200-£250.

Not these days :p Not any more.

I mean how far are you going back here?

The GTX 980 launched at $549 which is $603 in today's money.
The Radeon HD 7970 launched at $549 which is $622 in today's money.

I guess if you go back to 2003, but even then.

ATI 9800 Pro launched at $600 which is $565 in today's money.

Soldato
6900xt with rage mode and infinity cashe , crap comparison might as well clock 3090 then compare. Prices to high not very impressed .

Yeah. If 3090 is 1500, and the 6900XT is same or similar performance within 5% margin, the card should be 200 pounds max.
AMD so evil overpricing their cards by only reducing the price compared to competitor card by 33%.

It could definitely not be that NVIDIA have overpriced their cards right?

Permabanned
Inflation, cost for 7nm wafers, nvidia raising prices.
yea now we have this situation.
6700xt should be amazing for 1440p players
Nvidia are on a cheaper Samsung 8nm node. But yeah performance is great but pricing is a bit spicy.
6800xt should be £500 tops.
6700xt should be £350-400 tops.
A whole PS5 costs £450 with a 4K blu-ray player.

Soldato
Good for AMD, but will still be sticking with my 3090 pre-order for a few reasons

• I do actually need the VRAM for my workflow.
  • 6900XT does win in their graphs, but footnote shows RAGE MODE, & smart access memory was needed, so need to remove 5-15% off the scores from if you don't use those or can't.
  • its AMD doing the benchmarks.
  • not sure about RT support
  • will look forward to the GN benchmarks specially on AIB's

However good luck to AMD really do hope they can compete & beat NVIDIA for the masses., just think from those graphs rage mode & smart access is required to beat the 3090.

hope you all get cards before Christmas

Great and considered post, enjoy your 3090.

You're keeping it classy in an AMD thread and I appreciate that.

Soldato
I'm looking to upgrade my system for the Reverb G2 I have on pre order. I see no mention of VR peformance on these AMD cards. I'm think of getting a RX 6800 XT. Has anyone seen any mention of VR or know what AMD have been like historically regarding VR ?

Good point. And NVIDIA have VRSS for the 1 game (that I think people would play) that supports it lol.

Soldato
Nvidia are on a cheaper Samsung 8nm node. But yeah performance is great but pricing is a bit spicy.
6800xt should be £500 tops.
6700xt should be £350-400 tops.
A whole PS5 costs £450 with a 4K blu-ray player.

So, the AMD pricing is 'spicy' but NVIDIA's pricing is not 'spicy'?

If you are adjusting AMD's prices, can you also post price adjustments for NVIDIAs? Taking into account as you stated, NVIDIA use a cheaper node.

Associate
Might go for an AMD graphics card for the first time since...ever!

6800XT because of the video ram, and more software I use is enabling AMD cards and offering CUDA free pathway.

I just can't see how I can do with 10GB of RAM in a 3080, even if I could get one.

Caporegime
I mean how far are you going back here?

The GTX 980 launched at $549 which is $603 in today's money.
The Radeon HD 7970 launched at $549 which is $622 in today's money.

I guess if you go back to 2003, but even then.

ATI 9800 Pro launched at $600 which is $565 in today's money.
Was talking about the mid-range mate :p

460 was £150-£180 ish.
970 was £250 ish.
1070 was £400 ish iirc.
2070 was £450 ish.
5700XT is about £400 ish but was more expensive at launch.
3070 is going to be about £500 when you can find one in stock :p
6700XT will be close to £500 I'd wager.

Associate
Maybe I'm looking at it with green tinted glasses as someone in the 3080 queue but I wasn't blown away. I do think they look good - albeit the more impressive numbers come with the SAM compatibility and Rage Mode, and I think a ray tracing deep dive was conspicuous by its absence - but my main hope is that this serious competition lights a fire under Nvidia as far as production goes. How many will cancel their 3080s to pick up a 68/900XT I wonder? Good to have some proper competition in the GPU space all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom