Motivation

Man of Honour
I don't particularly mind insensitivity. I'm autistic as hell and somewhat prone to accidental bouts of it myself

It's just when I know people who have killed themselves, people who sleep rough, people disowned by their families for being gay, people addicted to smack and this that and the other it's kind of astounding to see someone whose metric for quality of life bottoms out at such a point
Why are you so keen to work with absolutes?

Your life sounds awful.

This does not mean the life of someone who is addicted to smack or is disowned for being gay is not also awful, or even more awful.

Soldato
Interesting the amount of people in this thread who say "But I dont know what to do" When they are sitting in front of an device with access to unlimited amounts of information more than ever in history!

Go and find out, don't expect it to simply drop on your lap.

I'm up at 5am before I start work to hit the gym. Keeping my body fit and healthy is what motivates me when I see people around me basically falling apart because they never looked after their health.

Too much food, drugs, alcohol and smoking. Not me!

Last edited:
Associate
Why are you so keen to work with absolutes?

Your life sounds awful.

This does not mean the life of someone who is addicted to smack or is disowned for being gay is not also awful, or even more awful.

Why are you so keen to tell someone else that their life sounds awful, if they're happy with it? Not a very nice thing to do, to put it lightly.

Caporegime
Why are you so keen to tell someone else that their life sounds awful, if they're happy with it? Not a very nice thing to do, to put it lightly.

This, particularly when the dude has made people aware that he’s “autistic as hell”. It’s easy to judge someone else’s life when you don’t have the constraints that disorder brings to relationships, personal or working.

Associate
This, particularly when the dude has made people aware that he’s “autistic as hell”. It’s easy to judge someone else’s life when you don’t have the constraints that disorder brings to relationships, personal or working.
Diagnosed with both Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD aged 7, so back in '99, and had semi regular visits to experts and suchlike right up until I would have been released into the care of adult mental health. Rejected that offer of continued "care" based on what I'd heard from others regarding how they handle people.
I was told in no uncertain terms that with the severity of my condition I would never be able to hold down a job of any kind, among other things.
I'm very lucky to have the parents that I do because they never gave up on me. My mother especially has fought tooth and nail to get the best for me even while struggling with her own condition (systemic lupus, a case so bad she's been featured in the Lancet on at least one occasion).
Relationships are hard. I don't really feel like a human being a lot of the time so relating to others can be difficult, and when I do my emotions are unbound so everything is a bit overwhelming. The person I present myself as to others is pretty much a mask I've fashioned and it is kind of exhausting maintaining it but it allows me some semblance of a normal life.

I dunno why I'm writing all this out

Soldato
No need to make someone feel worse by putting them and/or their life down. I could equally cast judgements on others from an imagined lofty position if I wished, by revelling in my superior existence.

As for motivation- you're here. 13.7 billion years had to pass for you to arrive at this moment and life. It's a very limited opportunity you have. You're in this for life, regardless, and so far, the probability of dying is 100%.

Therefore, why not go all in? Go all in on your talents and aspirations. You won't make it out at the end, but you'll have done what you could, when you could. I wish you and anyone else all the best.

Back
Top Bottom