• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Lol, absolutely nothing to do with the Big Navi announcement tomorrow. Nope. Not at all.

Yeah, super weird it changed basically 24h before the announcement. Imagine there isn't stock, or if there is, it isn't going to appear at 6/7pm when a certain competitor distributor is closed.

Caporegime
OP
We don't even have a release date yet for AMDs cards, they did say they'd be before the 10th November, but rumours now, they're delaying (could be to sometime in December), as they want to build up a good supply.

Man of Honour
Sasmung 8nm is 10nm with tweaks and DUV ; TSMC 7nm is EUV - the entire designs are not compatible at all.

First generation TSMC 7nm does not use EUV, the later revision does.

In terms of compatibility moving between nodes - nVidia's design/simulation labs and failure labs are way ahead of average for the industry and can turn around design aspects in days that can take a month or even months for other companies - still a very complex and time consuming process but these days not half as prohibitive for them as some make out.

Associate
The more i look at this new RTX generation the more i want to wait for next years Supers for a start there should not be the supply issues because most upgraders will be done removing demand which should create more stable pricing. Then we have the switch back to the old favourite TSMC and a better process and we get to see how AMD perform over the coming months.

Caporegime
First generation TSMC 7nm does not use EUV, the later revision does.

In terms of compatibility moving between nodes - nVidia's design/simulation labs and failure labs are way ahead of average for the industry and can turn around design aspects in days that can take a month or even months for other companies - still a very complex and time consuming process but these days not half as prohibitive for them as some make out.

And the TSMC 7nm with EUV is not compatible with the DUV version.

Associate
Navi was unveiled today. 3 SKUs
  • RX6800 $579: Much faster than RTX3070 in raster
  • RX6800 XT $649: Trades blows with RTX3080 at 4k and 1440p in raster
  • RX6900 XT $999: Close to RTX3090 in raster
Ray tracing performance, atleast RX6800 XT and higher suspected to be lower than nvidia equivalents.
No DLSS, but proprietary smart memory access tech on Zen3 platforms for 13% perf gain
All SKUs carry 16GB GDDR6 and 128MB infinity (L3) cache
Reviews awaited.

I believe theres not going to be long lines for RTX3070 and RTX3090 anymore.
RTX3080 still looks superior as a package for the price.
Check out AMD's YouTube channel for video presentation.

Soldato
I'll be very i retested in those reviews - may have to cancel the 3090 order as I expect many will
i would strongly think on that, if you are going to use rage mode & SAM or smart access memory, then it may be a good idea and faster, however if you are not reduce the current Graphs by 5-15% as SAm adds 5%-10% & rage adds 5-10% also

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i would strongly think on that, if you are going to use rage mode & SAM or smart access memory, then it may be a good idea and faster, however if you are not reduce the current Graphs by 5-15% as SAm adds 5%-10% & rage adds 5-10% also
5-10% is nothing when you consider the difference in price though no?

Plus look at his sig, he will have SAM and use Rage mode.

Soldato
5-10% is nothing when you consider the difference in price though no?

Plus look at his sig, he will have SAM and use Rage mode.
5-10% is not a lot I agree, but switching products without thought on such a large purchase is a bad move, always do your research & make an informed decision.
this is also a 3090 which is a cheap "Professional" workflow card right now (no qaudro/telsa) so its not just gaming to consider it could also be time/Money

i would be more worried about his corsair 750W going up in smoke :D

Associate
AMD coming out with Three new cards and they all have 16gb .Now we can see why Nvidia were putting out all the different storys about new cards and with 16gb . What i was saying about waiting it out was a good call.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
5-10% is not a lot I agree, but switching products without thought on such a large purchase is a bad move, always do your research & make an informed decision.
this is also a 3090 which is a cheap "Professional" workflow card right now (no qaudro/telsa) so its not just gaming to consider it could also be time/Money

i would be more worried about his corsair 750W going up in smoke :D
Did not know he did professional work, thought it was gaming only for him.

The 6900XT uses 50W less, so he is more safe going AMD with that PSU.

All that said who are we kidding, he has been marketing DLSS and RT so hard here the past year or two, he won't abandon that to go AMD after all that. No sir, he will close his eyes, unclench and let Jensen have his way. Lol. I have a 3080 on pre-order so I will use DLSS to watch it all happen in better than native quality :p:D

Man of Honour
The 6900XT uses 50W less, so he is more safe going AMD with that PSU.

Be interesting to see what the 6900XT uses in Rage mode + SAM though - I suspect it comes pretty similar to nVidia for power/performance.

AMD have been a bit nVidia like here pushing the cards as far as they can on power use while still below nVidia and then added Rage mode.

Soldato
Be interesting to see what the 6900XT uses in Rage mode + SAM though - I suspect it comes pretty similar to nVidia for power/performance.

AMD have been a bit nVidia like here pushing the cards as far as they can on power use while still below nVidia and then added Rage mode.

It's fantastic there's such close competition. I'm not in the market for either but it's good news for the industry.

Back
Top Bottom