Do your oldest memories have other people in them?

Caporegime
Completely random thread.

I was thinking other day about life long memories. And I kind of realised that most of my strongest ones (good and bad) have very very few other people in.

A few of the bad ones. But almost none of the good ones.

Most of the strong good ones are experiences (sky dive) or nature based (seeing a rare butterfly when I was a kid)
Or pet based (playing hide and seek with my Jackdaw).

I don't know if this is extremely weird. It feels like some of them at least should include loved ones?

Let loose gd!

Soldato
I am the same age as yourself 413x. My memories are already becoming a bit of a blur. Maybe because I am constantly making new ones?

I remember my dog on my 7th birthday (I didn't get the dog for my birthday) and again when she passed when I was 19. I was with my mum but I only really remember being in the vet's with the dog. Sad times.

Man of Honour
My oldest memories involve people, some of the ones in between people are only there generally and I remember the place or event more than the people.

My earliest memory weirdly in my mind is like 4bit inverted colour and is an actual memory (many years later found a photo that confirmed it being an actual memory) of my parents from when I was <2 no idea why I specifically have that memory - the next one was about a year later when my dad got a caravan stuck between 2 trees (which is probably why I remember that one).

A lot of older memories as above are a bit of a blur these days though if something jogs my memory they usually come back in detail.

Caporegime
OP
I am the same age as yourself 413x. My memories are already becoming a bit of a blur. Maybe because I am constantly making new ones?

I remember my dog on my 7th birthday (I didn't get the dog for my birthday) and again when she passed when I was 19. I was with my mum but I only really remember being in the vet's with the dog. Sad times.

Its weird. I can remember seeing my first emperor moth. I must have been so young. It was my parents first house. Things like that are clear as day. But they are almost always on my own.

I remember lifting the piece of wood and there it was.

Soldato
Maybe that moment sticks in your mind because it was important to you, but it's been cut short, so you literally only recall the memory about the moth and how it made you feel. If your parents were there too, perhaps they are not in the memory because that was a re occurring theme in your growing up? Meh prob just talking rubbish now but that's how I kinda feel about my memories.

Soldato
I remember a fair bit from when I was around 18 months...

Electrocuting myself and being thrown against the wall behind, looking down and seeing my fingers all blackened.
Stealing a milk float and looking out the window as the milkman and my mother ran down the street after me.
Moving the baby pen and wedging it into the doorway, trapping my mother in the kitchen (even back then I knew how to keep a woman in her place!).
Drinking from an interesting bottle, that turned out to be one of my Grandmother's hair products - I also remember the teddy they left with me during the subsequent hospital visit and being given vomit-inducing medication mixed with orange squash.
Stabbing my sister in the arm with a dinner fork!
Climbing over the stairgate and falling down the stairs.

A lot of my early memories seem to involve danger, actually. Given how unsafe life was decades ago, it's a wonder I'm still alive.

Man of Honour
Electrocuting myself and being thrown against the wall behind, looking down and seeing my fingers all blackened.

Ooof - I decided to try and DIY repair a lamp at a pretty young age - probably around 7 - I was smart enough to think to turn it off (or so I thought) at the plug and I'd heard somewhere about holding one arm behind your back when working with electronics (which possibly saved me) but didn't think to actually unplug it from the mains! and had actually turned it on not off so - wasn't so dramatic as that though - I leapt as much as was thrown back a couple of feet, blacked out for a moment and was left with a strange taste in my mouth.

My brother once decided to cut through the cord of a hairdrier with a pair of scissors for some random reason - fortunately the handles were insulated so he wasn't shocked but the top half of the scissors was obliterated! quit scary how much damage it did to the scissors.

Soldato
My earliest memory I think was when I was very young in hospital, at night in what I think was a childs hospital bed. I just remember the foot board being made of wood and everything being dark. I had a lot of operations when I was a kid. It must have been between 0 and 3, as I have another memories at the nursery school.

In infant school I realised I was colour blind when the teacher said the class had to colour a picture in and said the name of the colour. The crayons didnt have the colour name on them so I just acted like I was freestyling. I got away without attracting the teachers attention. But it was unsettling.

Commissario
I don't have any memories from younger than about four or five although I have had some events described to me in detail from when I was younger and I'm pretty sure that the only reason I know about them is because I've been told. I think that's common for 'memories' people say they've got from younger than a couple of years old.

Soldato
Thats a good ppint actually, i could never remember peoples faces. My earliest memory was some time between the age of 18 months and 2 years old. I don't recall what my mum looked like as she was carrying me into my grandads sweet shop, I remember sneaking into the front of the store when no one was looking, grabbing a stool to climb up and had my hand half way in the jar of liquorice all sorts when I heard my sister say "what you doing?" Her face in the memory is hazy though.

I also remember being in the back room and my mum telling me not to try and pick up the cat (it wasn't ours but a local cat that used to visit) of course I did and it scratched my hand. I remember being lifted onto the counter and someone was seeing to my hand and they had a vibrant, Hawaiian style shirt on but I could never recall their face.

Apparently the reason memories fade is because you're remembering the last time you recalled it, not the original memory. Or something to that effect :o

I have a photographic memory but as I get older I feel like the film is starting to wear a bit thin lol

Soldato
My earliest memory is false. I remember my buggy, with the rain cover, on a really rainy day. But the memory isn't from within the buggy (it's possible that I was out, since we'd just got home). However I know it's false since it's the wrong set of steps, the steps I picture were from an extension done years later.

The memory likely has a grain of truth at it's centre, but it's not real. I suspect that's how most memories go to be honest.

Soldato
My earliest that I can remember is pretending to be asleep and my mum carrying me up the stairs to take me to bed, I also remember randomly crying because I was thinking what it might be like being dead, not moving, being stuck under ground that kinda thing, no idea what age I was for both memories tho.

Caporegime
OP
I hate that sometimes I don't know if a memory is actually a picture of the event I've seen. Or even a fabrication from a story etc.

There are lots definitely aren't.
It's kind of sad we often remember so little of lif .

Associate
I have a couple of fairly strong memories from around 30 + years ago...

One being of my Hanging off a climbing frame by my legs, slipping and cracking the top of my head open.

Another from around the same time is of some kid from down the road playing with the drain cover outside our house, It fell and cut the ends of his fingers off, strong memories of blood everywhere and a lot of screaming.

Soldato
My earliest memory was of riding a red pedal tractor in my family home. The wooden shed had been painted with creosote and we had leylandia giving off a smell. Also the smell of fresh washing. There were sounds of kids playing coming from the comp school down the road and my mother is standing there on the patio watching with a smile. I must have been 2 or 3.

I would give anything to go back and relive that day and tell my parents that I love them :(

Caporegime
I don't think I remember anything before like 5+ but with my parents photo album I would probably remember earlier.

I had an older brother and sister so was probably never alone to have early memories without someone in them

Back
Top Bottom