• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How will Nvidia react to the AMD 6000 series launch?

Soldato
Exactly, the GPUs are still pretty poor value compared to what the consoles can do. Disappointing, really.

This. And all these top end launches won't rock the boat in the mid range by the looks of it. The rumour mill canon 6700/XT looks like it's basically going to be an OC'd 5700 XT and probably even at a similar price point.

Man of Honour
That 6900XT price seems fairly disruptive. They've basically said for the best gaming experience, we feel it should be 999.

NVIDIA then looks away with their 1500 price tag. Normalised at the top end.

Somewhat but it is going to be the 3070/3080 points where it really counts - a lot less people buying at the $1K plus mark and the 3090 does have some features still going for it - some (albeit a fairly niche amount) people will need more than 16GB VRAM.

Soldato
Somewhat but it is going to be the 3070/3080 points where it really counts - a lot less people buying at the $1K plus mark and the 3090 does have some features still going for it - some (albeit a fairly niche amount) people will need more than 16GB VRAM.

Somewhat? 33% price reduction at the top end is gigantic.

I agree. It would have been nice to see the 6800XT and 6800 shaved off 100.

However I do get that
a) AMD need to make money
b) these aren't cheap to make
c) they've had to make major investment to catch up to NVIDIA
d) they use a more expensive node than NVIDIA

If anyone can afford to cut prices and profit, its probably NVIDIA. But no, lets all put the pressure on AMD to disrupt pricing. :D

Associate
Yeah it's hard to know exactly how this will pan out but what I do know is i've got a top end 3080 on pre-order and in queue for a possible shipment next week.
Yet within a £130 variance of that of 6900XT.

Given this and i'm still rocking a 1080ti it may be worth a cancellation and a transition to the dark side....

3090 sales are going to die,
3080 is ok but there'll be a lower upper price

Soldato
That 6900XT price seems fairly disruptive. They've basically said for the best gaming experience, we feel it should be 999.

People don't care about money and savings at that end of the market though else they would buy the 3080 or 6800XT in the first instance.

Man of Honour
Somewhat? 33% price reduction at the top end is gigantic.

I agree. It would have been nice to see the 6800XT and 6800 shaved off 100.

However I do get that
a) AMD need to make money
b) these aren't cheap to make
c) they've had to make major investment to catch up to NVIDIA
d) they use a more expensive node than NVIDIA

If anyone can afford to cut prices and profit, its probably NVIDIA. But no, lets all put the pressure on AMD to disrupt pricing. :D

As above people who are spending that kind of money often don't really care so much about that kind of difference and there are still enough differences it isn't a straight up shoot between the GPUs over the whole market range though those purely gaming might be looking hard at the 6900.

It is the 3080 and especially 3070 AMD would have to bring the price disruption for it to really count.

Soldato
Besides maybe dropping the 3090 price, they don't have to do a thing.
That depends on availability and profit margin, if amd are in control of margins and nvidia can't make the 3080, if you don't have stock to sell you don't make money.

It looks to me like nvidia have got the worst of both worlds. Amd may have the best.

I would call performance a draw

Man of Honour
How will Nvidia react to the AMD 6000 series launch?

TSMC 7nm incoming for gaming cards.

Ampere Titan on 7nm very soon to keep performance crown.

Does anyone know if Samsung are even still producing 8nm Ampere, could this explain the shortage of cards.

Man of Honour
TSMC 7nm incoming for gaming cards.

Ampere Titan on 7nm very soon to keep performance crown.

Does anyone know if Samsung are even still producing 8nm Ampere, could this explain the shortage of cards.

Generally there is a bit of a time lag anyhow between risk and/or early production and then the next batch in high volume and nVidia often bring the cards to retail while still early in production. Samsung also don't have the output scale of TSMC.

Associate
How do you think Nvidia will react to today's launch by AMD? It was an utter curb-stomp, wasn't it?
Judging by your post it sounds as if someone stomped on your head as well as the curb.
It's a very impressive architecture compared to their previous one but there are too many unknowns and caveats to call it fully and it's never going to be a Nvidia killer.
Sure the 3090 looks expensive but in practice that's more a card for people who need CUDA and the 24GB of RAM.
So for the very small minority that spend £1k+ for a gaming GPU AMD are better value. Halo stuff, about as meaningful as Threadripper for most people.
The 6800 seems pointless priced as it is which leaves the 6800XT.
At RRP there's little between that and the 3080 (< 10%) so it comes down to performance and features; RT, DLSS, VRAM size.
Mixed results there for sure.

To me the worry for NV is at the platform level.
AMD have synergy between CPUs and GPUs and RDNA is looking a solid architecture so the future for once in a while looks good for Radeon.
But this isn't even remotely a Zen 3 v Intel scenario where AMD are wearing jackboots.
The fact that they showed benchmarks using an over-clocking tool makes that very clear.
Solid release though.

Associate
At the moment AMD hasn't swayed me to cancel my 3080 preorder, I want to see raytracing performance comparisons first as I highly suspect they won't be as good.

Soldato

Not really, Nvidia has shown in the past that they have no problem in pricing their top consumer card well above the price of any other card on the market, even when there is a negligible performance difference.

These top cards are so limited in number that both Nvidia and AMD will sell all they make even at their respective price points.

The 3090 was silly money for the average gamer long before the 6900XT was announced.

Back
Top Bottom