• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How will Nvidia react to the AMD 6000 series launch?

Associate
These top cards are so limited in number that both Nvidia and AMD will sell all they make even at their respective price points.

I feel AMD withholding the 80 CU SKU is in poor taste.
After what i could gather from public sources, TSMC yields shouldnt have been so bad for AMD to market a limited edition card
I feel they are deliberately binning those 8 CUs.
Its like a AMD, Nvidia cartel going on there, rather than real competition

Permabanned
After what i could gather from public sources, TSMC yields shouldnt have been so bad for AMD to market a limited edition card
It feels like a AMD, Nvidia cartel going on there, rather than real competition
no just amd doing a nvidia .. using the best 5% of cards like a titan .. so they to can oc like mad .. as this is all we care about ..well those that make a noise ..

Man of Honour
Its like a AMD, Nvidia cartel going on there, rather than real competition

Yields in terms of defect free might not be bad but that doesn't cover ASIC quality - it is likely only a relatively small number of cores are capable of running fully unlocked at good frequency and within good voltage range.

Permabanned
Man of Honour
Soldato
Nvidia crushes AMD with 80% GPU market share ahead of Ampere launch

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/nvidia-crushes-amd-with-80-gpu-market-share-ahead-of-ampere-launch

Do Nvidia need to do anything? Gamers are followers. They buy Nvidia without even caring what the competition has to offer. Enthusiasts who watch benchmarks may choose AMD but that's a small percentage :mad:

How many bought the RX290X?

The Rx290X launch was filled with problems, black screens, high power use, high temps, bad memory and terrible reference coolers. The AIB cards solved most of these issues but were impossible to buy for months.

Hopefully the RDNA 2 cards will have none of these issues.

Associate
Judging by your post it sounds as if someone stomped on your head as well as the curb.
It's a very impressive architecture compared to their previous one but there are too many unknowns and caveats to call it fully and it's never going to be a Nvidia killer.
Sure the 3090 looks expensive but in practice that's more a card for people who need CUDA and the 24GB of RAM.
So for the very small minority that spend £1k+ for a gaming GPU AMD are better value. Halo stuff, about as meaningful as Threadripper for most people.
The 6800 seems pointless priced as it is which leaves the 6800XT.
At RRP there's little between that and the 3080 (< 10%) so it comes down to performance and features; RT, DLSS, VRAM size.
Mixed results there for sure.

To me the worry for NV is at the platform level.
AMD have synergy between CPUs and GPUs and RDNA is looking a solid architecture so the future for once in a while looks good for Radeon.
But this isn't even remotely a Zen 3 v Intel scenario where AMD are wearing jackboots.
The fact that they showed benchmarks using an over-clocking tool makes that very clear.
Solid release though.

The 6800XT vs 3080 benchmark was with rage and the shared CPU thing OFF. With it on the 6800XT stomps on the 3080. No OCing in the comparison here.

Associate
Nvidia crushes AMD with 80% GPU market share ahead of Ampere launch

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/nvidia-crushes-amd-with-80-gpu-market-share-ahead-of-ampere-launch

Do Nvidia need to do anything? Gamers are followers. They buy Nvidia without even caring what the competition has to offer. Enthusiasts who watch benchmarks may choose AMD but that's a small percentage :mad:

How many bought the RX290X?

No, they buy amd stuff now as amd simply offers a better option
that 80% will slowly drop away

Soldato
Was it? No doubt AMD's new cards look great on the Marketing slides but so did Nvidia's. Shouldn't we wait until there are reviews of these cards to see what the whole truth is first?

Apart from the 3090 and 6900XT, the other cards are basically a wash according to the slides. Same MSRP, roughly same performance and roughly same power consumption.

The price we actually pay will depend a lot on how much stock AMD have and how big the demand is.

Nvidia's real problem at the moment is getting stock onto the shelves.

I'm fully with you here. It's not a big delta on performance or price either way, but the last sentence nailed it: Nvidia have hyped up a lot of people into buying a gpu who are now floating around really itching for that card. If AMD have supply, they may well scoop up sales from frustrated upgraders who can't wait any longer. 1000th in the queue for an Asus TUF? How bout roughly the same performance for $50 less and you get it tomorrow? Honestly I think that'll sway people more than RT performance/DLSS/other nicknacks if Nvidia's stock is still really slow mid Nov. Literally the only reason I would even hesitate in that position is my gsync monitor.

Caporegime
The 6800XT vs 3080 benchmark was with rage and the shared CPU thing OFF. With it on the 6800XT stomps on the 3080. No OCing in the comparison here.

Yes, but if you havn't got a 5000 CPU, you're going to have buy a one, making the 6800XT, cost way more than the 3080, and if you're on Intel, you'll not only need the CPU, you'll need a mobo etc.... as well, making it even more expensive.

EDIT:

Just looked at the cheapest 5000 CPU on here, its £290, so assuming you're already on AMDs platform, so can just drop the CPU straight into your mobo, you're looking at nigh on £900 for the 6800XT.

Associate
I just said that they used over-clocking which they did. I didn't claim it was in all tests which clearly wasn't the case. Don't be so sensitive
At stock settings using AMD's choice of games it was a tie.
Using a cherry picked set of games with an over-clocked GPU and using features available in a very small number of systems AMD won.
I'm impressed by the new platform features that AMD offer but let's calm down a bit and see real world figures before using our hyperbole setting.
I'm just impressed that RDNA2 is a solid architecture. No need to hype it beyond what it is.

Soldato

In the putting it all together slide, the 6800XT had shared memory and Rage mode on and there was only single digit % difference between them.

Soldato
I just said that they used over-clocking which they did. I didn't claim it was in all tests which clearly wasn't the case. Don't be so sensitive
At stock settings using AMD's choice of games it was a tie.
Using a cherry picked set of games with an over-clocked GPU and using features available in a very small number of systems AMD won.
I'm impressed by the new platform features that AMD offer but let's calm down a bit and see real world figures before using our hyperbole setting.
I'm just impressed that RDNA2 is a solid architecture. No need to hype it beyond what it is.

This.

It's like people have learned nothing from the Nvidia launch. Marketing slides don't tell the whole story.

Permabanned
How do you think Nvidia will react to today's launch by AMD? It was an utter curb-stomp, wasn't it?

Off the top of my head:

Immediate price reductions - the 3090 will become $999
Ti / Super versions of GPUs with 16+ GB RAM for the same price and price reductions on existing low-VRAM cards.

Longer term:

Accelerate Hopper development, with a launch next year.

What I have always disliked about Nvidia is that it wants to catch monkeys by offering them bran.
10 GB of VRAM vs 16 GB of VRAM is no competition for me.

How come that Nvidia didn't come to the smart cache idea before?

I suspect it might try to do some type of GeForce Partner Program again - either paying/bribing Microsoft or some counter-agreement with Intel to accelerate Intel - Nvidia performance.

Man of Honour
How come that Nvidia didn't come to the smart cache idea before?

Probably because it is something that belongs more in console space than desktop - and potentially is relatively short lived in usefulness though that remains to be seen.

Soldato
Yes, but if you havn't got a 5000 CPU, you're going to have buy a one, making the 6800XT, cost way more than the 3080, and if you're on Intel, you'll not only need the CPU, you'll need a mobo etc.... as well, making it even more expensive.

EDIT:

Just looked at the cheapest 5000 CPU on here, its £290, so assuming you're already on AMDs platform, so can just drop the CPU straight into your mobo, you're looking at nigh on £900 for the 6800XT.

The shared mem thing and rage mode things only gave a few percent increases id not worry about needing a 5000 cpu, its just a tiny boost from the slides shown, so u lose a few fps. So there classed as nice to have but not vital things.

Back
Top Bottom