• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Folks what is "Rage Mode" and this "Smart Memory" thing they refer to in the benchies?
Am I reading it correct that basically 6800 is on par with the 3080 and same with 6900 vs 3090? (ish?)

RAGE MODE - kicks in when Nvidia owners see the results

Smart Memory - satisfied feeling of AMD owners.

:D joking of course:D

Associate
Wrong, it's not limited to 2015Mhz (charts provided in previous reply to you)

You are still wrong

:confused:
That's not what I communicated with you. That's an example of how you feel internally being projected in your reply to me.
I cannot help you with that.
:p
So what I'm understanding here is when the actual achievable stable clock could be anywhere between 2015 and 2250, we're just gonna assume it's 2250 forever and always?
Of course it's not limited. It's just not to be taken at face value as a metric

As for the latter part, that was directed more at the people replying to you. Trying to make this like some sort of petty console war tier bickering

Man of Honour
Folks what is "Rage Mode" and this "Smart Memory" thing they refer to in the benchies?
Am I reading it correct that basically 6800 is on par with the 3080 and same with 6900 vs 3090? (ish?)

Smart memory is AMD's technology where CPU/motherboard and GPU work together to give the GPU much faster access to memory, and Rage is an one click auto overclock feature.

Associate
If the 3rd party benchmarks come out and a RX 6800 XT and an RTX 3080 are basically the same, and around the same price with the whole brexit shenanigans ... then I guess it'll come down to do we need more than 10GB VRAM in the future, vs will DLSS 2.0 get widely adopted into games... I think I'd have to wait until lots of consumers had the AMD card and were loving it to pull the trigger on that lest the driver debacle be repeated.

(ideal situation I guess would be AMD bringing out a way to use the RT hardware on their new cards to do something DLSS like, and I don't think RIS has the same potential as that's just upscaling)

Soldato
Raster yes, RT no.

You can't guarantee that is the case as we have no ray tracing numbers on either AMD GPU yet, suffice to say if its being made in co-operation with Microsoft and the DX12U team, and it's also being utilised in next gen consoles, it should be on par if not better than nvidias offering. Afterall, all RT really is, is a fancy complex calculator.

Soldato
They never mentioned anything about HDMI 2.1 spec port ?

Architected for the Modern Gamer
Modern set-ups require modern solutions. By embracing industry standards like HDMI® 2.1 VRR, and USB C, AMD RDNA 2 enables seamless integration into your life and hardware setup.
Equipped with GDDR6 memory and featuring PCIe® 4.0 support, AMD RDNA 2 architecture is ready for the new generation of games.

Soldato
Nice showing from AMD it seems, caveats aside, it looks like they are back fighting it out at the top end.
I'm cautiously optimistic for the reviews now to see just where they stack.
Few thoughts...

Rage Mode -
horrible name, horrible feature imo.
It's - to me at least - something that should be part of the cards base spec.
What they've probably done is not add a mode that when 'enabled' gives more performance, but rather adjusted the typical values of the power limit slider and added a mode that when 'disabled' drops the power limit.
This way they can then say they beat nVidia on power when it is 'disabled' but then turn around and say they beat them on performance when 'enabled'.
It's not a perf boost mode - imo - more a power save mode.
So their 300W Vs 320W/350W is probably out the window when this is taken into effect.
Don't like it, not needed/shouldn't be a thing at all, most people will probably just leave it on.
Again, this is all pending proper reviews etc but it just seems to me like an engineers answer to being pushed to get extra bullet points listed to get one over on nVidia and then marketing and promotion getting involved.

Ray Tracing -
lots of unanswered questions over this one.
Hoping the fact that the new consoles are basically custom AMD PCs will help them out here and that the only reason they haven't mentioned it yet is because current RT titles are a Crysis 3(?) nVidia/Tessellation situation.
Not that exactly but a short hand for what I mean.

DLSS / Super Resolution -
Despite a lot of people seeming to miss this, judging by all the 'no answer to DLSS' comments it was mentioned in the presentation.
Thoughts on this are similar to the above RT thoughts.
Waiting for games to show it off, driver support etc.
Hope they can leverage cross development with the consoles.

Prices
Still too pricey for my liking but I guess that is where we are with tech at the moment.
Want to see what they offer in the sub £400/£500 range.
But if they hit the performance claims against the nVidia equivalents then prices look decent.

Smart Access Memory
Part of me doesn't like this, part of me is like finally! Good on them for leveraging and making the most of their Eco system.
If it's just used as a boost for those that have it then great, if it starts to look like that boost is being pushed at the expense of people running mixed h/w then not so much.
I'm also wondering how baked into the new Zen3 CPUs this is? Or once they have shifted a load of them will it magically appear in a f/w update for older CPUs?
Was a bit worrying that they kept saying things like 'latest 500 series motherboards'. Why not just say current 500 series boards?
Is it purely baked into the CPU, do current boards need a f/w update? Can it be rolled back down the stack a bit?

That probably all sounds more negative that it should but I am genuinely happy that they came out fighting and it looks like they have a great showing at the top end again.
Reviews can't come soon enough and I hope that - for those that can afford it - they don't screw up the launch too badly.
Also, if the Zen to Zen3 journey has shown us anything... bring on RDNA 3 :D :D

Yep this, I can see myself getting a 6900xt eps if we can get some RT support in Cyberpunk! would be my first AMD (primary) gpu since 5850 xfire!

Associate

I would say the 3080 is still a superior choice if you can score 1 at close to suggested prices (so the practical thing to do is wait till 6800XT is available to buy)
The smart memory thing increases the size of GPU memory accessible by CPU from 256 MB to the entire onboard capacity (16 GB in this case) and is exclusive to RX6000+Zen3+X5xx motherboard combo.. Herkelman was talking about gains in the 13% range while the other baldy was showing single digit improvements. The technology hasnt been yet adopted by developers so future gains may be higher

Associate

Rage mode = overclocking the card.
Smart memory= you need 5series am4 board and 5 series zen 3 CPU. Whole ecosystem.

6800 faster than 3070 without RT
6800xt on par with 3080 without RT
6900xt slower that 3090 without RT

Permabanned
So what I'm understanding here is when the actual achievable stable clock could be anywhere between 2015 and 2250, we're just gonna assume it's 2250 forever and always?
Of course it's not limited. It's just not to be taken at face value as a metric

As for the latter part, that was directed more at the people replying to you. Trying to make this like some sort of petty console war tier bickering
i'm thinking ...could be wrong as an increase in power you could hit 2500 ..amd are playing the low wattage game .. we oc don't .. so lets see were this go's

Soldato
Smart memory is AMD's technology where CPU/motherboard and GPU work together to give the GPU much faster access to memory, and Rage is an one click auto overclock feature.

If RAGE is enabled on the 6900xt, is it still a 300w TDP or did AMD today show us an overclocked 6900xt but only show the stock power draw? lol

AMD's presentation was confusing, need more answers - why is the reviews so far away dammit

Associate
I would say the 3080 is still a superior choice if you can score 1 at close to suggested prices (so the practical thing to do is wait till 6800XT is available to buy)
The smart memory thing increases the size of GPU memory accessible by CPU from 256 MB to the entire onboard capacity (16 GB in this case) and is exclusive to RX6000+Zen3+X5xx motherboard combo.. Herkelman was talking about gains in the 13% range while the other baldy was showing single digit improvements. The technology hasnt been yet adopted by developers so future gains may be higher
Is it just x570 or is b550 working with SAM also?

Soldato
PMSL, you are trolling plain and simple. And, your backpedaling reply is proof of it. :D

Having had a 5700XT reference since launch, I have never seen my card drop below "boost clock" its always running at or around that speed, even under intense game loads.
He has absolutely no experience with a 5700 series card. And as exampled above he knows the card can boost higher. He's simply trolling.
:D

xrs

xrs

Associate
Looking at a 5900x and a 6800xt upgrade. Forgive me if this has already been addressed!
But what is the best way to justify these expenses to the other half? I don't know the best way to approach the subject. She often physically assaults me and I can't remember the safety word. I am a loud screamer - I don't know if this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom