• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Something else doesnt make sense to me

You guys were promising that RDNA2 would scale like a beast and 80CU would beat the 3090 - you guys never knew about RAGE or SAM. So why is it that without RAGE and SAM it doesn't beat the 3090, even though it has a really high clock speed, more IPC than RDNA 1 and double the CU of RDNA1. Something is off, why are the RDNA2 cards scaling so poorly?

300W?? that was obvious wasnt it?

Soldato
Looking at a 5900x and a 6800xt upgrade. Forgive me if this has already been addressed!
But what is the best way to justify these expenses to the other half? I don't know the best way to approach the subject. She often physically assaults me and I can't remember the safety word. I am a loud screamer - I don't know if this helps.

"the next generation of kit will need new everything. This ones a big "last upgrade for a while" to make the most of what's good now" is basically my line :D

Soldato

You guys were promising that RDNA2 would scale like a beast and 80CU would beat the 3090 - you guys never knew about RAGE or SAM. So why is it that without RAGE and SAM it doesn't beat the 3090, even though it has a really high clock speed, more IPC than RDNA 1 and double the CU of RDNA1. Something is off, why are the RDNA2 cards scaling so poorly?

You should probably quote the guy you're talking about.

And even then... this is a forum of random people making guesses. Why are you valuing that kind of unprofessional guesswork as a worthy figure to argue on.

Associate
All my "trolling" aside, assuming the pricing on these maintains I'll feel a LOT more inclined to go ahead with a second computer in a smaller form factor for 4K60 gaming in the living room so I don't have to lug my main down two flights of stairs every time I want to play with my family

Caporegime
iu

;):p
You must not be married. :D

Soldato
Sadly yet another overpriced series of cards. Performance looks great and about time they fought back. The 6800 was looking good but is even more stupidly priced than the already overpriced 3070. At this rate I will be looking to buy someones used 3070/6800 from the MM in a year or so time.

Trading blows with the opposition and priced lower how is it stupidly priced ? $500 off against the 3090

You want the others around £100-£150 lower you think that's viable ?

Associate

AIB cards will OC and beat the 3090, anything else?

Soldato
I'm probably 5900X and the 6800xt tbh. New top end of both without going ultra silly. The SAM bit is the cherry.

We'll see what availability is like. Assuming the usual mindshare stuff, there will be oodles of (less well informed ;) :p ) folks sat waiting on nvidia stuff (especially with the "but what about RT?!" arguments). TSMC might well have been able to get AMD well stocked, we'll see.

I'm just after something that can get close to my 4k's 120hz upper range in raster and I'm happy.

Permabanned

RAGE is a new name for the Uber mode here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-r9-290x/27.html
and Turbo mode there: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64/31.html

It's only an option for you if you are inclined to seek quietness rather than super performance.

SAM is a very smart feature inviting you to go all-AMD configuration.
Very smart by AMD - this is probably the best graphics cards launch it has had in the recent decade. :eek:

Nvidia has no competition for the RX 6800, it needs something between RTX 3070 and RTX 3080.

Soldato
5900x would have been 5800x if it wasn't so closely priced to go with 6800xt for next build to go with 1440p 240hz screen , don't care much for ray tracing think that's probably for next gen

Let's see how much more boost will be with partner cards

Soldato
You should probably quote the guy you're talking about.

And even then... this is a forum of random people making guesses. Why are you valuing that kind of unprofessional guesswork as a worthy figure to argue on.

Its been tons of people in the main RDNA 2 thread

Soldato
I have a Gsync monitor. Has any one successfully paired an AMD card with their Gsync monitor?

Lose Gysnc... Big issue?

What we wont know for a while is are there going to be any games that will utilise the 16GB vram on the AMD cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom