Quit smoking. Vape good or bad.

Man of Honour
I know this is a old thread now but my wife wanted to give up smoking a few years ago and after reading through the original vaping thread on here persuaded her to try vaping. She tried it liked and gave up smoking straight away. The bad news is that four or more years later she is still vaping and it's constantly. Whenever she is home the damn thing is in her hand. I actually timed her and she takes a couple of drags every 20 seconds starting from the minute she goes on here pc until she gets off it. She vapes everywhere in the house now unlike before when it was just the living room. I put my foot down and banned her from using it in the bedroom at night though. We have had several arguements about her abusing it and all she throws in my face is "who cares" to which I always reply "I do". I make her juice and have got her down to 3% now but would rather she gave the damn thing up. Yes, it's better than smoking but now she has a problem with vaping.

Soldato
Thankfully when I quit we were in a pre-vape world and I used patches. Vaping doesn't break the ritual of giving your hands something to do, which in my experience was a massive part of my addiction to cigarettes. When I first quit I was literally sitting on my hands!

Breaking the ritual of smoking and detoxing from nicotine addiction are key, amd Vaping, although a safer alternative to smoking, doesn't do that. It's a substitute addiction.

Associate
Thankfully when I quit we were in a pre-vape world and I used patches. Vaping doesn't break the ritual of giving your hands something to do, which in my experience was a massive part of my addiction to cigarettes. When I first quit I was literally sitting on my hands!

Breaking the ritual of smoking and detoxing from nicotine addiction are key, amd Vaping, although a safer alternative to smoking, doesn't do that. It's a substitute addiction.

A valid point, but nicotine really isn't responsible for any significant harms. Smoke is what kills people, not nicotine. Getting away from burning tobacco is the whole point.
Everyone is obsessed with nicotine all the time- yet those people usually also consume caffeine, alcohol etc.

Nicotine is NOT the be-all and end-all when it comes to smoking, far from it. Yet the whole world goes crazy at the very mention of nicotine. Nicotine alone is far less 'addictive' than the cocktail of compounds in cigarette smoke- nornicotine, myosmine, anatabine, anabasine, pyrazines, ammonia, acetaldehyde, formaldehyde... all known to play a role in the brutal addictive power of tobacco smoke. Blaming nicotine alone is a true global fallacy, one that the powers-that-be are quite happy to continue pushing.
The whole point of vaping is harm reduction. And it achieves that.

Soldato
I vaped for years and maybe it's my age (37) but my lungs don't like it anymore and I switched to gum 4 months ago, I was getting regular acute pain with various juices and with covid I thought it best to let my lungs repair. Gum lacks the kick... but it does the job and I've gotten used to it now.

Soldato

When I gave up years ago now my wife bought me a diablo because I had mentioned to her that I used to have one when I was a kid... so I would get it out and try and learn some tricks when I was feeling a bit too tempted. Learnt a lot of good ones during that time!

Man of Honour
Would've thought you'd be a bit more open minded than most with a username like that.

My username doesn't mean what you take it to mean. I am a Cornishman, I like Cornish Pasties hence the username pastymuncher.

Why should I be more open minded? It's nice to have a room that doesn't stink of vape juice and isn't filled with clouds of smoke. She is abusing it, pure and simple. I use a small led torch to let the cats out during the night so that I don't have to put the main light on and wake the wife. The beam from the torch shows smoke in the air still at 3 in the morning.

Soldato
I vaped for years and maybe it's my age (37) but my lungs don't like it anymore and I switched to gum 4 months ago, I was getting regular acute pain with various juices and with covid I thought it best to let my lungs repair. Gum lacks the kick... but it does the job and I've gotten used to it now.
I had the same thing after 5 years of vaping. Quit 10 months ago and my lungs have pretty much recovered. Guess it effects people differently but vaping definitely was not a good long term solution personally!

Soldato
I know this is a old thread now but my wife wanted to give up smoking a few years ago and after reading through the original vaping thread on here persuaded her to try vaping. She tried it liked and gave up smoking straight away. The bad news is that four or more years later she is still vaping and it's constantly. Whenever she is home the damn thing is in her hand. I actually timed her and she takes a couple of drags every 20 seconds starting from the minute she goes on here pc until she gets off it. She vapes everywhere in the house now unlike before when it was just the living room. I put my foot down and banned her from using it in the bedroom at night though. We have had several arguements about her abusing it and all she throws in my face is "who cares" to which I always reply "I do". I make her juice and have got her down to 3% now but would rather she gave the damn thing up. Yes, it's better than smoking but now she has a problem with vaping.

That's me, smoked, turned to vaping and now it's harder to quit vaping as it tastes so nice. Grim :( Almost worth going back on the smokes to give up vaping)

Soldato

Do you get your gum on perscription or pay for it? What sort do you get and where is best to get it from? I've tried it before and it works, no "hit" from an inhale, but no desire to smoke either which was great. Finding it hard to give up vaping now :/

Soldato
I’ve never had as big a ‘hit’ from smoking anything than I did from trying a mates vape device that he’d turned the settings up on...felt **** for the rest of the day

Soldato
I gave up smoking then started vaping a few years after. Now vaped for around 4 years. I've set tomorrow as my first day to stop and I'm going to try really hard this time. I've stopped for 3-4 days at a time before but not going to lie its really difficult. I want to do it on willpower alone but when I smoked I tried patches a few times.

Associate
Apologies I've read the first post only. The vapers to me appear kind of a result of fashion in that its something similar to smoking where blowing a cloud out is kind of cool. A room mate let me try his once and it was pretty strong and did taste good. However do these appear healthy at the same time?
I need to reverse and read more but the healthy, in other words, part where vaping appears not bad for your health still is not clear to me as I don't think long term studies have been made from it which is why I am steering clear on buying one for now.

Also the E-cigs seem like something that is needing ongoing maintainance e.g. batteries, top up liquids, or cleaning of the parts. It seems like it would be a handful imo. Like a girl with super long hair would want to keep it in good standing.

On occasion I enjoy some Marlborough cigs after work and have bought two packets of 20 in the last year. Unfortunately they don't come in smaller amounts when I ask so many of the cigarettes don't taste great when I get round to smoking them and i lose a lot to the bin as i don't care for mal cigs.

Last edited:
Associate

I found this to be a problem when I tried vaping - if I was watching TV for a couple of hours I'd be puffing on it the whole time. I did find that vaping made my lungs feel worse than smoking as well, although that seems to go against what most people experience. Also seemed to make my gums feel weird as well.
I've now started smoking two or three cigars a week and don't smoke anything else or vape, which I'm enjoying and would say is a good solution to the problem for me if cigars weren't so expensive :(

Soldato
I found this to be a problem when I tried vaping - if I was watching TV for a couple of hours I'd be puffing on it the whole time. I did find that vaping made my lungs feel worse than smoking as well, although that seems to go against what most people experience. Also seemed to make my gums feel weird as well.
I've now started smoking two or three cigars a week and don't smoke anything else or vape, which I'm enjoying and would say is a good solution to the problem for me if cigars weren't so expensive :(

I know someone around 60 years old that went to the Doctors and they were asked "Do you smoke?", and he said "Only Cigars", and the Doctors said back "Good, keep smoking Cigars, Cigerettes will kill ya" :p

I switched to Vaping about 3 or 4 months ago, and I'm loving it. I have completely lost my smokers cough, don't stink of cigarettes anymore, and I'm loving trying all the different flavours. Also, the cost savings have been eye opening :eek:

Permabanned
if your going to give up vaping theres 2 things you need to know .. a) while vaping a lower nic juice but at high watts is no difference to vaping a higher nic at low watts .
so drop your wattage and nic .. i vape 10mg at 20w ok maybe 24w when i'm ****** ... anyone vaping 3-6mg at 40-60w+ is the same as me
b)your still addicted to nic .. just like someone that drinks 10-15 coffees a day is addicted to caffeine.. cut down first ...
myself has no intention of giving up my nic why should i ?

Soldato
I started vaping over 10 years ago now, and yeah I still vape. The point for me is that I had tried everything else: Alan Carr's book, patches, gum, cold turkey etc. I had really crippling panic attacks and quitting smoking just really put me out of business any time I tried. Vaping, on the other hand, has saved me 10 years of smoking. I still vape, and yes the fog machines we now have do take the mick a bit, and like @pastymuncher my other half gives me a bit of grief on occasion and I totally get it. My general rule of thumb is "don't vape where you wouldn't fart" and that's generally stood me in good stead. My wife doesn't like me farting in the bedroom much either as it goes.

I think that there may well be some long term effects we just don't know about yet, but frankly I'm willing to take a risk there against the absolute certain detriment to my health posed by smoking. That and the cost saving has been incredible. Even smoking 15 rollies a day, the cost was absurd compared to the £60 every few months I spend on supplies for vaping.

I'm a proponent of vaping, and I recommend it to anyone who is really stuck and wants to quit, but has failed with other methods. Obviously clean air is the only thing you're supposed to breathe. If the alternative is smoking though, vaping is clearly the better option.

Soldato
5 years here. I don't think I'd go back to smoking ever. I use the Vype ePen (no smoke machines here!) - and get through - 2-3 cartridges a week, much less if not working.

I do try to limit how much I use it, and only do it outside (or in the shed if bad weather) - nicotine is too good for stress for me to quit I think.

I did have a few rollups with a lorry driver after he nearly squished me with his wagon a few months ago though. Nothing like a proper smoke to take the edge off a near death experience.

@Devrij I agree that there's probably going to be some unforseen consequences to vaping - but its got to be lower risk than smoking... (I bloody hope!)

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I'm not sure if this is made up information but it appears legislation for taxing 'vaping' products is in the works. Surely not. It's jumping on the bandwagon surely if this holds true. Wouldn't put it past the UK government.

It's not surprising, I neither smoke or vape so anything I say is either opinion or just a pure guess. I've noticed vaping shops pop up everywhere, not just shops but also fuel stations, demand is meeting supply so people are quitting smoking to vape. The taxman is gonna tax and always needs more cash.

Back
Top Bottom