• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Jensen right about now is really regretting not going with TSMC 7nm for its 40% higher transistor density, even if it cost them a bit more - at least they would have been able to be the clear fastest at each segment.

Soldato
my red devil is

1905MHz (Game) /up to 1770MHz (Base) / up to 2010MHz (Boost)

frequency bounced between 1924 & 1965 at stock power level (210W max)
frequency bounced between 2005 & 2010 at 50% power level (246W max)

So your actual gaming clocks are a bit above the advertised boost clock at stock. Hopefully we can see 2250-2300Mhz on the 6800XT and 6900XT then.

Soldato
AMD Raytracing info..

I said previously if they could beat Turing at their first attempt it would be an incredible achievement

Well if this has any truth it looks like AMD could be onto a winner

Random, so they are now using fixed function hardware acceleration, contrary to what they said they were doing just 10 months ago? Ok then Lisa Su

Soldato
ye but not worked on nv YET and was used by AMD
@Troezar thats why NAVI looks even worse for Me on x470

I can see that if you're on X470. One of the reasons I didn't go X470 was I had the feeling there must be a reason AMD went for PCIE 4 when it didn't appear to be needed yet. The gamble seems to have paid off, I'm not usually that lucky!

Associate
The rumour mill had the 6900xt as amd exclusive? Nothing was mentioned about exclusivity in the reveal today was there? Which opens the door for higher clocked aib cards.. (might be wrong as I was watching la vuelta at the same time:p)

Associate
One
Funny how things turn around, literally a few months ago all you read on here from the "Green faithful" was "AMD are 2 generations behind they will be lucky equalling 2080ti, and if they do 3080 will crush them".

Yeah, that worked out well. AMD have now done on the gpu side what they did on the cpu side, Nvidia and Intel made the same mistake by underestimating them. AMD are now as fast as Nvidia offerings at lower wattage, not much more to be said on that front really. :D

From a high end gaming pov, once zen 3 releases I will agree that AMD are easily the best and no brainer. I will be moving over to the new cpu. I am a gamer and I think AMD will finally bring me over for the first time since I had an Athlon.
I can't agree that the 6800 or 6900 are doing the same in the gpu space.
They are great cards, I would say AMD are competive now. The edge in some respects, catching up in others. It will be interesting to see results of an AMD RT + DLSS combo. I suspect noticeably worse RT performance, masked by a higher performing but worse pq dlss technique.
I know that this may be for a small amount of games, but I look forward with a new card for the future games with the best gfx. I am big into gfx, and I am excited by RT even if it is a low percent of my gaming. The raster is so close at already high frames, that I will appreciate the extra RT performance in those demanding games.
So, as tempting as the amd card is, I don't think it is as clear cut as the cpu space.

Soldato
Where's it going to sit though? AMD have put the 6900XT right on its price band but at the same performance as the 3090, NV can't therefore charge more than £1k for the TI but they can't price it too close to the none TI varient either.

It's a pretty difficult position they've put NV in tbh as they are either going to ruin the 3080 or pitch it against the 6900XT which it surely can't compete with without also destroying their own 3090.

A 3080Ti would sit at £1k MSRP to compete with the 6900XT and would be pretty much a 12GB 3090.

The 3090 would be reserved for those who need the additional VRAM for professional applications, much like the Titans always have been.

The last time NVidia were pressured in this way, we got the 1080Ti (ok the pressure was from Vega64 rumoured performance which didn't materialise but hey) which was basically the same performance as the Titan.

Soldato
Technically yes but the games could have code to disable features on non RTX cards etc. AMD wouldn't have risked leaks by reaching out for a version to test. It looks like they are going to focus on future ray tracing implementation in conjunction with consoles on games like far cry 6 and the ones they showed today etc.
COD and BF are DX12 DXR titles, they will work on any DX12 Ultimate compliant cards.

Whether the titles will need optimised/patched for performance remains to be seen, or if the devs even would but because Nv marketed them as RTX titles, doesnt mean they wont work on non Nv hardware.

AMD I imagine has a few copies of those titles since at least launch, so don't know what the risk is meant to be?

Soldato
Well of course it does, why would Intel have support for this feature?

I'm sure this will be spun as a proprietary lockout, whereas it's just utilising a fundamental property of the architecture, infinity fabric. There is so much joined up thinking in all of this, I'm very impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom