Motorola G9 Plus

Associate
Anyone got one got one of these out there in the wild yet?

I'm on giff gaff so I guess it'll be a while before they'll be offering them on their store.

Thanks!

Man of Honour
I have the G8 Plus which is excellent and I've been thinking about the G9 Plus but I've now been put off by phones that seem to be offering a bit more for the money like the Xiaomi M10 Lite 5G.
This last week my main browsing is all to do with phones and comparing them.

Associate
OP
I have a love of viewing the night sky, and my favorite app for doing so needs a phone with a internal compass and accelerometer/ gyroscope
I forgot to check the last time, and my Moto g6 play never had one. Otherwise It's ticked all other boxes, cheap as chips, mini-sd slot, and huge battery.
Simply looking at The moto G9 as I'm too lazy/dumb to transition to a different manufacturers eco-sphere :)

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Friend had one and sent it back - they skipped few items compared to G8 Plus but it has two new idiotic things
- no stereo speakers, no Dolby, no FM, no compass
- fingerprint scanner is on the side instead of at the back, it's part of the power button now. I'm omnidexterous (converted leftie), I write with my right hand but use phone with my left hand, couldn't use that scanner for 'spreadsheets nor giggles', none of the finger gestures worked for me reliably, or maybe the old slide down for top menu just isn't there anymore. I suppose it could work for someone right handed, unlocking with a thumb, but for me, trying to wiggle it with my left middle finger, while supporting it at the back with index finger and holding it with the rest was proper vulcan greeting gymnastics - has to be one of the most terrible designs ever.
- there is a new side button for Google Assistant. Can't be re-assigned to anything else. As you can guess the darn thing gets pressed all the time when in pouch or pocket.

Man of Honour
Glad you mentioned those thing v0n because it was still a contender.
For me the no Dolby would be massive because that really improves the sound.
I'm now contemplating spending more money around the £500 mark to get the phone I want for the next 5 years - Poco F2 Pro is winning at the moment.

Associate
Glad you mentioned those thing v0n because it was still a contender.
For me the no Dolby would be massive because that really improves the sound.
I'm now contemplating spending more money around the £500 mark to get the phone I want for the next 5 years - Poco F2 Pro is winning at the moment.

How much is the g8 plus worth second hand / trade?

You can get the oneplus 8t for £550, or samsung s20fe from bluelight staff discount for £595. So selling the g8 may offset the cost to close to your max 500 budget?

Lower spec and better price what about oneplus nord?

I have heard good things about poco f2 though, so already have a good contender.

I think i would base my final choice on support and software updates. Samsung have promised 3 major os updates, so that takes you to android 13 at least, and could affect your 5 year plan?

Man of Honour
I have spent a week looking at every major phone and making a list of what is important.
There was something about the Nord that made me untick it.
We are keeping the G9 Plus has a spare phone just in case.

Back
Top Bottom