• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Nice to see AMD not skimping on the VRAM like Nvidia, but the price rises from both companies are not good to see.

AMD obviously seeing what exorbitant prices people are paying for Nvidia GPUs and wanting in on the action.

Except the skimped on the VRAM type, not quantity. They used a small 256bit bus with half speed GDDR6 modules

Gotta say, dont like how all the benchmarks included the Smart Access tech, its falsely represented the situation a bit in my view. You might still be better off getting a RTX 3080 for example, or 3070, if the performance is the same or better to a similarly priced RDNA 2 GPU without upgrading your CPU.

AMD is doing well though ofc, so not meant as a criticism really.

Fully agree, reviews will show this. If these cards lose significant performance when you don't have a 5900x to pair it with, reviewers will shred AMD for claiming its faster but only for some people

Associate
looking good. Might go for the 6800 plain as opposed to the 3070. More VRAM and slightly more performance, for a bit more money.

Associate
AMD cards are better for mining.

Previously yes, i have a sneaky suspicion these wont be all that, mining is heavily slanted towards memory, these are running gddr6 as opposed to gddr6x in Ampere.

Ontop of that i dont think the cache will have any impact on mining, so RDNA2 cards may well be inferior to Ampere, and then add in power consumption and these could well be not very efficient.

Radeon VII still the king of mining and i dont think that is likely to change

Soldato
Previously yes, i have a sneaky suspicion these wont be all that, mining is heavily slanted towards memory, these are running gddr6 as opposed to gddr6x in Ampere.

Ontop of that i dont think the cache will have any impact on mining, so RDNA2 cards may well be inferior to Ampere, and then add in power consumption and these could well be not very efficient.

Radeon VII still the king of mining and i dont think that is likely to change

RDNA is already better than Ampere for mining on a hashrate/watt basis. 2 x 5700 XT is better than a 3080 (where both the 3080 and 5700XT are power optimised).

Soldato
6800 seems sweet spot for 1440p 144hz and looks to be faster than 3070 for same £££ (unless you can get a founders but good luck with that) and x2 the VRAM!

You would be naive to think OCUK wont also raise the prices on navi cards.

For reference this is what the RTX 3070 pricing started out like so be fully prepared to see similar mark ups on RDNA2.

Inno3D GeForce RTX 3070 Twin X2 OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £469.00 inc VAT

Boost Clock: TBCMHz, Memory 8GB TBCMHz GDDR6, Cuda Cores: 5888, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, NVIDIA Ampere, 8nm Process, Real-Time Ray Tracing, 3 Years Warranty.

Only £469.00 inc VAT.

VIEW NOW

Inno3D GeForce RTX 3070 iChill X3 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £479.99 inc VAT

Boost Clock: TBCMHz, Memory 8GB TBCMHz GDDR6, Cuda Cores: 5888, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, NVIDIA Ampere, 8nm Process, Real-Time Ray Tracing, 3 Years Warranty.

Only £479.99 inc VAT.

VIEW NOW

Inno3D GeForce RTX 3070 iChill X4 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £499.99 inc VAT

Only £499.99 inc VAT.

VIEW NOW

Zotac GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £469.00 inc VAT

ZT-A30700E-10P, Boost Clock: 1725MHz, Memory 8GB 14000MHz GDDR6, Cuda Cores: 5888, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, NVIDIA Ampere, 8nm Process, Real-Time Ray Tracing, 5 Years Warranty.

Only £469.00 inc VAT.

VIEW NOW

Palit GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Pro 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £449.00 inc VAT

Boost Clock: TBCMHz, Memory 8GB TBCMHz GDDR6, Cuda Cores: 5888, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, NVIDIA Ampere, 8nm Process, Real-Time Ray Tracing, 2 Years Warranty.

Only £449.00 inc VAT.

VIEW NOW

Palit GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming Pro OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £469.00 inc VAT

Boost Clock: TBCMHz, Memory 8GB TBCMHz GDDR6, Cuda Cores: 5888, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, NVIDIA Ampere, 8nm Process, Real-Time Ray Tracing, 2 Years Warranty.

Only £469.00 inc VAT.

VIEW NOW

KFA2 GeForce RTX 3070 SG 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £649.00 inc VAT

RTX 3070 SG 8GB, Boost Clock: TBCMHz, Memory 8GB TBCMHz GDDR6, Cuda Cores: 5888, VR Ready, PhysX/CUDA Enabled, NVIDIA Ampere, 8nm Process, Real-Time Ray Tracing, 2 Years Warranty.

Only £469.00 inc VAT

Associate
RDNA is already better than Ampere for mining on a hashrate/watt basis. 2 x 5700 XT is better than a 3080 (where both the 3080 and 5700XT are power optimised).

Yes because of Amperes power draw, and take it from me, i know how good RDNA1 is, i have 6 x 5600XT Sapphire pulse bios modded setup hitting 43mhs each :)

Soldato
Ye well, it will be a question of stock.

OCUK sticks it up because there is obvious demand and obviously not enough stock.

If there's enough stock then you can't charge an extra 100 because other retailers are shifting stock at the normal price.

Associate
If i have an X570 tomahawk and am getting a 5900x, am I ideally looking to get a 6800xt instead of the 3080 i have on pre order? As i'd be able to benefit from the extra access memory and rage mode, no? Obviously hard without much info, but it's looking good, no?

Soldato
@Hotwired I think it's guaranteed that there will be shortages at launch... the question to me is how quickly it normalises. Hopefully AMD can pump these things out quickly enough that demand is met within a reasonable time window.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You forget how much the "insane" 20w difference means to some people :D

We all know about it. Had years of it being a major thing from nvidia users in one of their defensive mechanisms.. boring isnt it?

I'm seeing a lot about gaming performance. But what about the rest? How is RDNA2 at rendering, encoding, machine learning etc? Where is AMD on PyTorch, MXNet, TensorFlow? Does Nvidia have advantages beyond gaming?

This is what AMD owners would look at when it came to losing out on just the gaming front. I recall most people would chortle and be like *its only gaming that matters guffaw* now all of a sudden, other things mean something.. funny that

Exactly my intention!

I would have been mad to stick with the 3090 after that announcement :D

AMD is now the gaming solution for gamers.. <big sinister roar>

Soldato
Any way you look at it, AMD deserve some recognition of achieving roughly 20% IPC increase on the CPU side and a 50%+ performance per watt increase on the GPU side in a generation.

Soldato
The £450-460 price on the 3070, which is where it should be after launch madness dies downs is great value. It's the best performance per watt and cost per frame card.

Associate
Ye well, it will be a question of stock.

OCUK sticks it up because there is obvious demand and obviously not enough stock.

If there's enough stock then you can't charge an extra 100 because other retailers are shifting stock at the normal price.
Doesn't make it right I don't remember the supermarket increasing the price of toilet paper when it was so popular not that long ago.

Soldato
The RX 6900 XT isnt looking that good from a value perspective, just 8 CUs more than the RX 6800 XT and the same clock speed. Maybe the 6900 XT will have other advantages, like more ROPs or cache? Same 300w tdp though, so not too bad.

Maybe a GPU released purely to **** on NVs cornflakes by stealing the RTX 3090's thunder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom