• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How will Nvidia react to the AMD 6000 series launch?

Associate
Well i don't regret getting a 3090 as i've had none stop fun with it since obtaining one. I do wish there was more performance in it though for the price you pay though i totally understand its not a gaming card and more of a workstation card.

You don't regret getting it, none stop fun

But then you do wish you you had more performance....

???????????????

Is your wallet getting a reality check over your brain?

Soldato
I'd wait for reviews/tests with Rage mode and SAM in effect it probably is fairly similar power/performance in actual use to Ampere.
Seems fair enough to me, its basically an overclock, something the Nvidia cards cant do. But you forget the huge price difference Rroff. Same/similar performance at £400 cheaper, actually doubtful how many actually got a 3090 for rrp. Nice to see Amd back with cards that are competitive which means we should benefit if and its a big if, there is no price gouging. If there is gouging I'm out and going for an Xbox Series X, if I can find one!

Caporegime
The issue is, can Nvidia do anything actually meaningful while stock is so thin, especially for 3080? There are still hundreds if not thousands of people around the UK, never mind worldwide waiting on 3080's. Even if they drop the price it doesn't matter if you can't buy them.

AMD have a real, honest to goodness open goal here. If they can get half a million cards worldwide, maybe close to a million 3080 orders will be cancelled in their hundreds and people will move to AMD. Only AMD can mess this up.

Man of Honour
Seems fair enough to me, its basically an overclock, something the Nvidia cards cant do. But you forget the huge price difference Rroff. Same/similar performance at £400 cheaper, actually doubtful how many actually got a 3090 for rrp. Nice to see Amd back with cards that are competitive which means we should benefit if and its a big if, there is no price gouging. If there is gouging I'm out and going for an Xbox Series X, if I can find one!

For people exclusively looking at gaming the price might be a factor but generally people spending that kind of money aren't going to be worrying over the price difference and/or buying the 3090 for the extra VRAM or other features so I don't see it as being as much of a factor as it would be at the 3070 and 3080 points if they had similar price difference.

Associate
I'd wait for reviews/tests with Rage mode and SAM in effect it probably is fairly similar power/performance in actual use to Ampere.

Mean always wait for reviews to see the actual numbers, but in fairness, if 'stock' 6900XT is 300 watts, and RAGE mode is turned on which is the OC mode, not SAM, would you say thats gonna pull nearly 100 watts extra? increased wattage comes from inefficiency but until we get a deep dive, it seems like AMD is doing what they should have done long ago and that is improving the pipeline for gaming.

Associate
Having the additional hardware utilisation for the IO with SAM is likely going to be increasing the power draw - though I'd wait for testing to be sure.

I'm not sure its additional as opposed to alternative path, interested in the deep dive of it though.

Associate
How do you think Nvidia will react to today's launch by AMD? It was an utter curb-stomp, wasn't it?

I'd be cautious using the term launch. I mean they're not available until 18th of Nov and 8th Dec and we don't know to what degree that will be a paper launch or what availability will be like at launch and going into the Xmas period.

It wasn't really a curb stomp, they provided competition at all levels which is great and a solid choice for gamers. The only thing that really got stomped was the 3090 and that was on price. But honestly reviewers had all made this clear that this is not a gaming card, it's for prosumer work. I expect the 6900XT will be countered with a 3080Ti at the same kind of price point, which will have a GPU closer to a 3090 but with say 12Gb of vRAM on it.

I think Nvidia will probably push for greater RTX implementation in headline titles like CyberPunk 2077 and push for DLSS implementation so people can get the one-two punch of RT effects with high resolution. I see worryingly little in the way of ray tracing benchmarks from AMD and no equivelent to DLSS and my suspicion is that when we come to see games like the hotly anticipated CyberPunk 2077 come out, if Nvidia card owners can play that in 4k DLSS with Ray Tracing all cranked up with a good frame rate that'll be a good experience for them. And The question becomes can AMD match that ray tracing performance to enable those effects, and can they match DLSS to provide the upsampling to make it enjoyable at 1440p or 4k? That's what I'm holding my breath for because I don't want to upgrade my GPU so I can go from 90fps in games to 150fps in games, I upgrade my GPU so games look prettier and my experience is better and more immersive. And RT is a key component of next gen gaming.

Associate
AMD had to use both Rage mode and SAM to match/beat the 3090 so I doubt nVidia will worry much there and the 3090 has more VRAM.

The 3080 with less VRAM and the 3070 which looks to get beat on both performance and VRAM and have no pricing advantage are going to be the tougher spots for nVidia.

Although I'm not sure about Infinity Cache depending on how much AMD is depending on it for performance as it is more a technology that belongs in console space and might not hold up in the longer term on desktop.

Which AMD claim to be 1~2% performance gain, from what GN said in his video.

Either way, it's great to see competition in the highend, which will hopefully drive prices down once demand is met.

Soldato
I think nvidia have preemptively reacted. There's no way they would have priced this generation of cards the way they have done out the goodness of their hearts, it was priced like it is because they knew AMD were a genuine threat this time around.

I'm really happy AMD have finally made a properly competitive range of GPUs, and giving nvidia something to think about. It's nothing but good news for us consumers whether you're a fan of either side. Competition is great.

Edit: ooft, 10k posts.

Soldato
Apparently rage mode = slight power limit increase, so the 1-2% makes sense. I think it's very clear these cards will have a LOT of OC headroom. The AIB showdown is going to be so much fun!

Associate
Apparently rage mode = slight power limit increase, so the 1-2% makes sense. I think it's very clear these cards will have a LOT of OC headroom. The AIB showdown is going to be so much fun!

Same but I'm only looking forwards to Sapphires implementation, the others have given AMD past cards the middle finger.

Soldato
At this point in time, Nvidia will do nothing until 2021 because demand still far exceeds supply, its that simple.

If demand drops off, they might either reduce price on the 3070/3080 or introduce Ti models.

For the RTX3090, again, they will not drop price until supply exceeds demand and when they happens, they also won't drop the price - they will release a new driver that gives the card all the Titan functions so the card has access to its full prosumer performance which the 6900XT or any RDNA 2 card will not come near.

Soldato
I'd be cautious using the term launch. I mean they're not available until 18th of Nov and 8th Dec and we don't know to what degree that will be a paper launch or what availability will be like at launch and going into the Xmas period.

It wasn't really a curb stomp, they provided competition at all levels which is great and a solid choice for gamers. The only thing that really got stomped was the 3090 and that was on price. But honestly reviewers had all made this clear that this is not a gaming card, it's for prosumer work. I expect the 6900XT will be countered with a 3080Ti at the same kind of price point, which will have a GPU closer to a 3090 but with say 12Gb of vRAM on it.

I think Nvidia will probably push for greater RTX implementation in headline titles like CyberPunk 2077 and push for DLSS implementation so people can get the one-two punch of RT effects with high resolution. I see worryingly little in the way of ray tracing benchmarks from AMD and no equivelent to DLSS and my suspicion is that when we come to see games like the hotly anticipated CyberPunk 2077 come out, if Nvidia card owners can play that in 4k DLSS with Ray Tracing all cranked up with a good frame rate that'll be a good experience for them. And The question becomes can AMD match that ray tracing performance to enable those effects, and can they match DLSS to provide the upsampling to make it enjoyable at 1440p or 4k? That's what I'm holding my breath for because I don't want to upgrade my GPU so I can go from 90fps in games to 150fps in games, I upgrade my GPU so games look prettier and my experience is better and more immersive. And RT is a key component of next gen gaming.

Exactly this.

It's good to see Nvidia have competition again but unless AMD can counter DLSS (something in the works is not enough) then any big title will perform better on the 3000 series because you can be sure Nvidia will pay the devs to support it. On top of this you have AMD's implementation of RT running just in the normal pipeline. We all know how that performs on a 1080ti and that's why Nvidia used tensor cores to offload the RT calculations on the 2000 and 3000 series.

All this is speculation though, time will tell when we see some real reviews with a wide range of benchmarks.
It's great AMD have bounced back though, competition will drive down the prices for all of us going forward so what ever happens it's win win :)

Soldato
I'll take 1440p RT over 4k non RT anyday.
Me on the other hand find it insane to still game at 1440p, a resolution that even console gamers are now shunning. My 8 year old nephew will be gaming at more than than twice the resolution compared to you in his little console :D

Plus ray tracing will work just fine on RDNA 2.

Soldato

If that's the best possible spin you can put on it then AMD have had a very good day indeed. I really wouldn't have gone with the "The 3090 isn't really a gaming card" routine though, it's used for gaming by gamers, it's a gaming and prosumer card. That reeked a bit of desperation. Also throwing shade at AMD's "launch" after NV's absolute cluster***k of a launch from Jensen's kitchen to the present day where people still haven't got cards they paid for on day 1 isn't a good look either. Obviously you did emphasise RT as that's clearly the fig leaf du jour.

5/10.

Associate
Me on the other hand find it insane to game at 1440p a resolution that even console gamers are now shunning. My 8 year old nephew will be gaming at more than than twice the resolution compared to you in his little console :D

Plus ray tracing will work just fine on RDNA 2.

It's not like TVs are much bigger and have different pixel densities compared to smaller monitors or anything.

Back
Top Bottom