SkodaMart’s ‘green air’ solution.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Initially I was on about freight being moved to rail but I concur with your points absolutely, yes, mine is 450 BHP and even at full weight (44t Gross) it isn’t underpowered imo at all, I’ve driven a few 620 - 730 BHP trucks and frankly they are way more than any haulier other than those pulling extremely abnormal loads would require - but great to have the power on demand, much as I’m sure you find with your car.

Where do I sign for a 6700 BHP truck? :cool: :D

6700hp is what it would require to be as brisk as a reasonable passenger car!

Not sure i agree with most trucks seeming underpowered, I clearly have never been near the cab of one (I am sure i would find it fun!), but they seem pretty damn slow to me when i am trying to make my way up and down the hills of the 2 lane A34 between Oxford and the M4 on a daily basis! The HGVs passing one another at 30-40mph as they struggle up the hills and then freewheel down the other side is something which is quite annoying as a car driver wanting to make progress :p

Soldato
You stated you can’t a greener van ; with the metric used being fuel economy. EU6 would be significantly lower emissions and hence a lot cleaner and greener.

How on Earth could that be considered trolling?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just dont think you have thought it through. You mention 10mpg over 50mpg as if its insignificant, thats 20% more MPG. Thats massive in the grand scheme of things, if we could all simply reduce our consumption by 20%, well its not technically, lets say get 20% more done for the same amount of input energy thats a massive step.

Check out real MPG website.
The 67mpg berlingo actually only returns 52mpg in the real world.
I think I lost 8mpg from mine when I went from Michelin energy savers to all season tyres. (Obviously I didn’t realise that would be a consequence).
I can also get higher MPG if I reduce my speed, but trust me driving to Scotland at 70mph takes long enough as it is.
50+mpg real world at 70 is as good as I can realistically expect.
You do realise that wind resistance increases exponentially with speed?
One of the biggest impacts we could make would be to limit top speed.
Trucks copped for 56mph, I’m
Pretty sure my Honda and Citroen would be close to 60mpg at that speed.

Soldato
OP
You stated you can’t a greener van m; with the metric used being fuel economy. EU6 would be significantly lower emissions and hence a lot cleaner and greener.

How on Earth could that be considered trolling?

You are using me as an example to prove my own theories.
They are exactly that, theories.
Sound ones too.
I have chosen very sensible vehicles but I am currently not driving the most economical, green vehicles possible no.

Man of Honour
Changing a vehicle mid-life at an individual level doesn't necessarily accomplish anything or even realistic - scrapping a perfectly good van is probably more damaging to the environment than continuing to use a slightly less fuel/emission efficient vehicle.

Soldato
OP
Mad what happens when people start looking into stuff properly isn’t it.

Oh don’t you worry I’ve done plenty of thinking about it.
There is absolutely no down sides other than people having to give up there large performance status symbol cars.
And there lies the main sticking point...

The man makes the car, the car doesn’t make the man.

Soldato
Oh don’t you worry I’ve done plenty of thinking about it.
There is absolutely no down sides other than people having to give up there large performance status symbol cars.
And there lies the main sticking point...

Tesla seem to manage ok on the large performance / status symbol front.

In fact, I'd argue that electric / hybrid is much more desirable than an ICE - both in status and performance. Certainly when it comes to new cars.

Caporegime
CO2 won’t have caused lung issues. It will be riding a bike next to roads 20-30 years ago, Going in pubs with smoking and many other factors unrelated to cars.

Vehicle emissions are relatively low now compared to what they were thanks to emission standards, this is unrelated to fuel consumption and hence CO2 emissions.

this crusade of yours seems rather odd. Both as a concept and your target audience ?

Soldato

Phrases like this always makes me think it only comes from people who cant afford what they would like and want to stick it to the people that can. Believe it or not some people couldnt give a monkeys what other people though of their car purchases and they arent always status symbols but some people have the money to afford such things and want to live their best life as you only get one go at it.

I agree with what you are saying in principal but you are saying it to people on a car enthusiast forum which I think is what Simon is eluding to, hence its not exactly going down too well.

Soldato
I am an electrician and trained charge point installer.
(Rolec and Pod Point).
I am also a vehicle enthusiast and general petrol head, I have owned 39 vehicles in my lifetime and I’m not 50 yet!
I do my own repairs and servicing wherever I can.
I am also an ex cyclist (change of jobs and ill health forced me to stop).
I am a non smoker, I have never smoked and despite this I have been diagnosed with emphysema.
I can only attribute this to years of cycling in heavy rush hour traffic.
I’m still reasonably fit however with a good lung capacity from cycling so it doesn’t really affect me (not looking for sympathy here.)

I really do think that air pollution has gone too far mainly because too many people are driving too many miles.
We are being told that the answer to this is electric vehicles, with which I massively disagree.
It’s as big a lie as the diesel scam / scandal was.
I often thought to myself if VW where cheating who else was too? It turned out Mercedes was, but I’m pretty sure all Diesel engines from that time of similar power and capacity produce similar pollutants.
So the answer is electric? Well no I don’t think it is at all.
All electric vehicles do is move the pollution elsewhere, what’s the point of having ‘green’ city centres when the Scottish coast has been turned to power stations (only and small percentage of U.K. electricity is from genuinely renewable sources, but even then what are the environmental costs of making and installing wind farms?)

So let’s improve things now, with the technology we already have.
Not 2030 or 2050 or whatever date some politician chooses at random.

Assuming you mean well, and you’re not trolling, you really haven’t done your research.

1. on any given day, depending on the load in the system, the UK can be running on well over 50% renewables and if the wind stops completely the hydro still keeps the renewables in the mid-20’s.

2. Electric cars reduce exhaust pollution at the point of use to absolutely zero. Yes, they move that pollution elsewhere and that’s the point. The people who are getting sick don’t live next to a power station, they live next to a road. EV’s take away the issues with pollution in the cities where the people live. Even allowing for the fact that the electricity still has to be made from fossil fuel at least some of the time, it’s much easier to control the emissions from one coal, wood or gas burning power station that from several million ICE vehicles.

3. I’m not going to call you a hypocrite because hopefully you do mean well, and you simply don’t do yourself what you’re asking others to do. Your EU5 van is literally killing people. EU6 vehicles actually don’t pollute that much and it’s EU5 that are being banned from cities because they’re literally poisonous. And if you really cared, you’d ditch your fleet of polluters and get one/two clean vehicles that do(es) the same job. Yes, that means spending money, and ultimately that’s what this is about. It’s going to cost quite big money to ditch the polluters. From your post you want others to do it, but you don’t want to do it yourself. This, and the fact that don’t actually appear to know what you’re talking about, massively reduces your credibility in this area.

Last edited:
Caporegime
With the emissions if the USA/China/Etc whatever we do here in the uk is completely negligible.

Of coursethe diesel deals start didnt help anyone but car manufacturers but regardless, until there is wholesale worldwide reductions in things like methane, marine emissions, Chinese heavy industry then tbh we are just taking our own people and industry for nowt.

Soldato
With the emissions if the USA/China/Etc whatever we do here in the uk is completely negligible.

Of coursethe diesel deals start didnt help anyone but car manufacturers but regardless, until there is wholesale worldwide reductions in things like methane, marine emissions, Chinese heavy industry then tbh we are just taking our own people and industry for nowt.

On one hand, I completely agree, global CO2 emissions mean what happens in the UK is much less significant. That's climate change. On the other hand, the particulate emissions have a local effect on local people and the sooner they're eliminated the better. So the move the modern (EU6 or EU7 ICE or electric vehicles) is vital for the health of people who live near major roads and in cities. This is why we have speed limits on some sections of motorways and it's the real reason that diesel isn't seen as an option anymore.

Soldato

There's nothing wrong with leading by example. Whilst efforts may be a drop in the ocean, we can't think like that or nothing will ever change. Do what is right because it's right.

Back
Top Bottom