HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Associate
Yeah, you need to upgrade the GPU if you want to get a decent experience with the Reverb G2. Sure you can run it, but, it would be like buying a top of the range 4K tv then watching nothing only SD material on it.

Easier said than done, with current availability :(

Got money waiting that I'd love to spend if someone would just produce enough of a decent card so I can buy one! Looks like the G2 will be here before I can upgrade my 5700XT, should be a nice upgrade from the quest with link for a few games still.

Soldato
Easier said than done, with current availability :(

Got money waiting that I'd love to spend if someone would just produce enough of a decent card so I can buy one! Looks like the G2 will be here before I can upgrade my 5700XT, should be a nice upgrade from the quest with link for a few games still.

yeah it sucks. I think it will after Christmas before there is any meaningful supply from either company.

I hope I am wrong.

Associate
Well @John Harris has been emailing them everyday!! I bet they get his one out quick :p And hopefully, by extension, the rest of the OCUK Reverb gang get theirs early :)
Twice a day, to multiple recipients. :D
Hell, if that means I get my card on time - I'll take it. But to be fair, they have been eager to discuss the situation - and have been very helpful, so I make no apologies.

Associate
Twice a day, to multiple recipients. :D
Hell, if that means I get my card on time - I'll take it. But to be fair, they have been eager to discuss the situation - and have been very helpful, so I make no apologies.

If you paid for the product, you should be able to bug them about it if you want. I was tempted to do so myself, but was waiting until around now if no good news. However, now i`ll hold back...

Associate
If you paid for the product, you should be able to bug them about it if you want. I was tempted to do so myself, but was waiting until around now if no good news. However, now i`ll hold back...
I agree 100%. It's their job to clarify any details or address concerns - and they seem happy to get into a conversation about it. They have been really very human and (I believe honest) about things - a stark contrast to the RTX situation. And I do exaggerate (sort of), I talk to them once or twice a week when they are either emailing me an update, or I'm clarifying a HP statement. Nothing too Extra.

Just to add - the sort of level of Customer Service I get from SystemActive would make me want to use them again if the opportunity arose.

Associate
I agree 100%. It's their job to clarify any details or address concerns - and they seem happy to get into a conversation about it. They have been really very human and (I believe honest) about things - a stark contrast to the RTX situation. And I do exaggerate (sort of), I talk to them once or twice a week when they are either emailing me an update, or I'm clarifying a HP statement. Nothing too Extra.

Just to add - the sort of level of Customer Service I get from SystemActive would make me want to use them again if the opportunity arose.

I was pleased that they at least gave us an update almost every week, even if they didn`t have much to say. Smart of them since it showed they appreciated the money we`d given them and hadn`t run away!

In my previous work i always made sure I updated the patient, even if I didn`t have much to update on. It saves on a lot of angst even if things go wrong.

Soldato
I'm about 95% certain I'll be getting the 6800XT rather than the 3080... which feels odd to say because it'll be my first AMD GPU in around 17 years I believe!

Will be a great VR card in my opinion... You can point to a few things Nvidia may have for VR such as DLSS 2.1 (no VR games currently using it) SPS (a small handful of games using it) etc, but I'm not a believer in proprietary tech because it almost never sees widespread adoption. DX12U/Vulcan bring a lot of the performance optimising stuff anyway which is fully supported by both AMD and Nvidia. Sampler feedback for example does what SPS does and more, while DirectML super resolution is coming and will (try to!) compete with DLSS but as a more open standard and also on the XBOX series X/S, thus likely to see significantly wider adoption. We have to wait and see if it will work in VR though as DLSS 1.0-2.0 didn't. Raytracing isn't going to be fast enough on either card for VR framerates so doesn't feature in, even though we don't actually know how they stack up yet (though I suspect AMD to be weaker otherwise they would have shouted about it).

For now I think raw horsepower is still king over optimisations with spotty few and far between implementations, as raw power works to give you a better experience in all games rather than a select few. While we need to wait for reviews I suspect a 6800XT paired with a 5000 series CPU to enable smart access memory and overclocked is going to run rings around the 3080 which appears to have very little headroom left. Looking at AIB models they are rumoured to be hitting 10% higher clocks than reference and if you believe AMD's slides they were already neck and neck with the 3080 stock with no SAM, no rage mode and no overclock. The 16gb of ram is also a factor in my decision given the more-than 4k resolution of the G2, I think 10GB may just start to cut things a little fine in some situations.

Time will tell though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom