• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Seems to get the best out of these you need Smart Access turned on so you also need a Ryzen 5000 series and supporting board as well.

No RT on vs off numbers at all, no confirmation of any DLSS equivalent features at launch... The 6800XT performance numbers seem compelling but as someone on r/pcgaming pointed out:

If the leaked 3DMark results are true, the 6800 XT is slightly faster in Port Royal than 2080 Ti, 3080 is significantly stronger in RT. I'm guessing those benchmarks are pretty close considering AMD didn't touch on RT very much at all in the reveal.

My money is on a 3070 still as a decent upgrade over a 2070S OC. It doesn't have 16GB VRAM, but I don't need it at 3440x1440, it's still 30+ fps faster than my current card and it has RT+DLSS which is supported by the games I will be playing in the next 12 months at least so for me that makes sense.

The most annoying thing about the AMD announcement is they completely neglected to show or tell anything about RT performance which leads me to believe that they are not confident enough in the RT optimisation and as such it won't be stellar or nVidia beating in any way at launch. Whilst the prices vs power and performance are good, turn RT on and pretty soon the visual fidelity gains on RTX 30 cards will be what people talk about the most.

I will buy a 6800XT over a 3070/3080 if the RT performance numbers match up to RTX cards, but I cannot see that happening given AMD were totally silent on these, and of course the mish mash of slide consistency as someone mentioned earlier above.

Soldato
Found the scaling issue high level source, the performance just doesn't scale 1:1 with streaming processors.

Forza Horizon 4 with RAGE and SAM OFF
6900xt @ 2250mhz: 150fps (80CU)
6800xt @ 2250mhz: 138fps (72CU)

The 6900xt has an 11% increase in CU but only 8% increase in game performance.
Still better than Ampere where the 3090 has a 20% increase in SM but just 11% increase in game performance.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
My money is on a 3070 still as a decent upgrade over a 2070S OC. It doesn't have 16GB VRAM, but I don't need it at 3440x1440, it's still 30+ fps faster than my current card and it has RT+DLSS which is supported by the games I will be playing in the next 12 months at least so for me that makes sense.

The most annoying thing about the AMD announcement is they completely neglected to show or tell anything about RT performance which leads me to believe that they are not confident enough in the RT optimisation and as such it won't be stellar or nVidia beating in any way at launch. Whilst the prices vs power and performance are good, turn RT on and pretty soon the visual fidelity gains on RTX 30 cards will be what people talk about the most.

Thing is, I know some of us upgrade every two years or quite frequently and I dunno about you but if I am shelling out over £500 on a GPU its got to last me a while..

This is why although people dig at the 'fine wine' phenomenon, for me it has always worked well as I can get the best out of a GPU for longer. nvidia are renown for ditching gens or deliberately gimping drivers. So for me I can see ray tracing getting better on AMD, it may be not as good as the 3080, but then again I dont magnet to these RTX titles. The consoles will help out and if you must have ray tracing, at least it will be available in some form - not a deal breaker for me.

Soldato
Seems to get the best out of these you need Smart Access turned on so you also need a Ryzen 5000 series and supporting board as well.

No RT on vs off numbers at all, no confirmation of any DLSS equivalent features at launch... The 6800XT performance numbers seem compelling but as someone on r/pcgaming pointed out:

I will buy a 6800XT over a 3070/3080 if the RT performance numbers match up to RTX cards, but I cannot see that happening given AMD were totally silent on these, and of course the mish mash of slide consistency as someone mentioned earlier above.
If the RT was good then it would have been showcased and with more games likely to support RT with it being on consoles then nvidia cards are still more futureproof.

AMD is loving these post Pascal prices.

Had AMD went 499 / 599 / 699 then it would have made it more uncomfortable for Nvidia.

Man of Honour
If the RT was good then it would have been showcased and with more games likely to support RT with it being on consoles then nvidia cards are still more futureproof.

Had AMD went 499 / 599 / 699 then it would have made it more uncomfortable for Nvidia.

Those consoles you speak of, they all run rdna2 so I wouldn't necessarily use that as an argument for how future proof an nvidia card is.

Soldato

In this regard they are. And we just don't know yet how useful the 16GB of VRAM will be on the AMD cards. Only a crystal ball at this point will tell us how it pans out.

I personally have no idea what to do now. I have a Gsync monitor. I cannot feasible go AMD. I have a 3080 on order but at position 1194 it's gonna be a long wait.

My hope is Nvidia counter with a 3080 with more vram.

In the mean time I keep my queue position and see what happens.

I still think that overall as a package Nvidia have the upper hand. That's from drivers to features to performance to gsync to game support to RT performance etc... as a total package Nvidia have it.

Soldato
Found the scaling issue high level source, the performance just doesn't scale 1:1 with streaming processors.

Forza Horizon 4 with RAGE and SAM OFF
6900xt @ 2250mhz: 150fps (80CU)
6800xt @ 2250mhz: 138fps (72CU)

The 6900xt has an 11% increase in CU but only 8% increase in game performance.
Still better than Ampere where the 3090 has a 20% increase in SM but just 11% increase in game performance.

Where did you get the non smart/rage 6900XT figure from?

Both 6800XT and 6900XT have 128mb infinity cache and 256 bit bus - perhaps we could be seeing a bit of bottlenecking of the extra CU's?

Soldato
In this regard they are. And we just don't know yet how useful the 16GB of VRAM will be on the AMD cards. Only a crystal ball at this point will tell us how it pans out.

I personally have no idea what to do now. I have a Gsync monitor. I cannot feasible go AMD. I have a 3080 on order but at position 1194 it's gonna be a long wait.

My hope is Nvidia counter with a 3080 with more vram.

In the mean time I keep my queue position and see what happens.

I still think that overall as a package Nvidia have the upper hand. That's from drivers to features to performance to gsync to game support to RT performance etc... as a total package Nvidia have it.
Major case of PJS here.

Associate
If it ever comes out, delayed again to december wasn't it?
December 10th
Given the first of the new AMD GPUs was meant to come out one day before the old release date, this has almost certainly hurt Nvidia. Now people who bought because they absolutely HAD to have a 3000 series in time for Cyberpunk aren't going to be so numerous

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thing is, I know some of us upgrade every two years or quite frequently and I dunno about you but if I am shelling out over £500 on a GPU its got to last me a while..

This is why although people dig at the 'fine wine' phenomenon, for me it has always worked well as I can get the best out of a GPU for longer. nvidia are renown for ditching gens or deliberately gimping drivers. So for me I can see ray tracing getting better on AMD, it may be not as good as the 3080, but then again I dont magnet to these RTX titles. The consoles will help out and if you must have ray tracing, at least it will be available in some form - not a deal breaker for me.

I try keeping my GFX cards for as long as possible. I had a GTX 980 vanilla since launch before the 2070S OC and I only got the 2070S several months ago! Maybe I should just wait until say Cyberpunk is out and I actually play at max settings to determine performance. I already know I'll be gaining frames with DLSS enabled at 1440p so if that yields 60fps+ with the high graphical settings then far as I'm concerned, new GFX card upgrade thoughts can get in the sea for me as this is all I ever want from a recently purchased GFX card, to max my games out and enjoy 60fps+.

If I cannot maintain 60fps even with DLSS on with the 2070S then I will of course upgrade but I won't do it too excitedly considering the 2070S cost £470 and I'm upgrading not even a year into ownership unlike the 980 which lasted me what 4 years?

I also have no intention of upgrading mainboard and CPU anytime soon either so any performance metrics shown have to include an RDNA2 card on a system that has an Intel CPU.

Ultimately this is what it comes down to and nVidia has long established RT since 20x series.

Soldato
December 10th
Given the first of the new AMD GPUs was meant to come out one day before the old release date, this has almost certainly hurt Nvidia. Now people who bought because they absolutely HAD to have a 3000 series in time for Cyberpunk aren't going to be so numerous

How has it hurt nvidia though? They are still completely sold out either way.

Soldato

No one cares about Ray tracing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom