• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haAPtu06eYI

I cannot stand GN generally, but from 14mins on he talks more about AMDs Raytracing.

Basically. We dunno. Gotta wait and see. But AMD did confirm to him that there will be titles at GPU launch which support RT with them. He also noted that its probably a case going forward that it won't be "if" it supports ray tracing but "which" ray tracing.

They also speak about super resolution a little bit. its a response to DLSS, but thats all we know, and its not ready yet.

Soldato
Seems to get the best out of these you need Smart Access turned on so you also need a Ryzen 5000 series and supporting board as well.

No RT on vs off numbers at all, no confirmation of any DLSS equivalent features at launch... The 6800XT performance numbers seem compelling but as someone on r/pcgaming pointed out:

My money is on a 3070 still as a decent upgrade over a 2070S OC. It doesn't have 16GB VRAM, but I don't need it at 3440x1440, it's still 30+ fps faster than my current card and it has RT+DLSS which is supported by the games I will be playing in the next 12 months at least so for me that makes sense.

The most annoying thing about the AMD announcement is they completely neglected to show or tell anything about RT performance which leads me to believe that they are not confident enough in the RT optimisation and as such it won't be stellar or nVidia beating in any way at launch. Whilst the prices vs power and performance are good, turn RT on and pretty soon the visual fidelity gains on RTX 30 cards will be what people talk about the most.

I will buy a 6800XT over a 3070/3080 if the RT performance numbers match up to RTX cards, but I cannot see that happening given AMD were totally silent on these, and of course the mish mash of slide consistency as someone mentioned earlier above.

The DF video indicates the RT performance isnt great (1/4 resolution), but I dont care that much for RT, it will still be much better than software RT.

Soldato
I've had my 3080 since launch, enabled RT once, exclaimed "meh" and have never enabled it since.

It's a total gimmick.

Ray tracing is the future. It's not a gimmick at all. Give it a few years and comments like yours (of which the web is full of), will be funny little reminders of a time gone by, when some people had the blinkers on and really didn't know any better, unable to see beyond their own limited experience with the technology, failing to see its true potential. And it's certainly not the first time this has happened with an emergent technology.

Soldato
So going from preliminary slides and info, Would it be best to keep an eye on the 6800XT for 1440P 144Hz?

Edit: Just had an email from Nvidia reminding me about the 3070 going on sale tomorrow.

Soldato
For me it is true. I could care less. Nor have I ever found anything visual about it that would make me want to buy a game just for it.

:D

Then the correct phrase is "I don't care about ray tracing"... not "no one", because that's just absurd. It's one thing to feel YOU don't need it in your gaming experience, it's quite another to say no one else is bothered about it either, and imply it's not a significant leap forward in technology that can have a huge impact. Because it will. As already mentioned, the fact consoles are no moving in this direction surely tells you something.

Soldato
Ray tracing is the future. It's not a gimmick at all. Give it a few years and comments like yours (of which the web is full of), will be funny little reminders of a time gone by, when some people had the blinkers on and really didn't know any better, unable to see beyond their own limited experience with the technology, failing to see its true potential. And it's certainly not the first time this has happened with an emergent technology.

It's like eating in a restaurant where the other diners tell you if your meal tastes nice. :rolleyes:

Soldato

Ray tracing may be "the future", but that doesn't make today's cards any stronger at it.

Associate
For me real time ray tracing is interesting, but to what extent most games will make use of it is yet unknown.

It could be like tessellation all over again where some games make heavy use of the technology with very few visual gains but a heavy load on some hardware (in this case AMD).

But seeing as the console market have RT technology the same as in the RX6000 cards I'm betting on a "less is more" approach at least until next generation cards are out for the majority of cross platform games (PC only / Nvidia optimized will probably be outliers)

Soldato
Ray tracing may be "the future", but that doesn't make today's cards any stronger at it.
Exactly my feelings, the future is RT it isn't now and I for one, if RT didn't exist at all on the 6000 series, I couldn't care. I won't be using it because I want the pure fastest card... and at 4k right now, the 6000 and 3000 series now allow us fast 100fps 4k game playing... I'd be going backwards with RT other than for graphical effects... series 4000 from nVidia will be the one where RT becomes a true reality... and possibly AMD may catch up for 7000 series. Right now, today, RT at anything other than lower res for me, is just not a feature I want or need.

Soldato
Then the correct phrase is "I don't care about ray tracing"... not "no one", because that's just absurd. It's one thing to feel YOU don't need it in your gaming experience, it's quite another to say no one else is bothered about it either, and imply it's not a significant leap forward in technology that can have a huge impact. Because it will. As already mentioned, the fact consoles are no moving in this direction surely tells you something.
I disagree. AMD launched their GPUs without 1 single blip about RT and it was received very well. So for him to make the assumption that 'nobody cares' can be based on the positive reaction of RDNA 2 without showing anything regarding ray tracing.

For that, I would agree with him on that assumption based on the observations of today's launch. Which would make for a very strong case why 'no one cares'. Even though it's obvious that it's his opinion as the notion of it is implied.

Soldato

It's just another graphics setting right there with AA and shadows. Or it might be if tech develops enough for it to happen in real time without enormous penalties.

So when we get to the future where it's not a gimmick it can stop being called a gimmick.

Associate
funny that people would rather have pre baked lighting or limited point light sources rather than simulated light bouncing off surfaces.

Ray Tracing is what all the other little effects they throw on lights in games are trying to emulate. Add proper ray tracing and all your AO, sky-lighting, global illumination etc etc is no longer needed.

Soldato

tesselation is also a "gimmick" and now every game has it

Associate
Don't ppl think a full console amd stack and a full amd stack is going to bring the best performance benifits for amd because it should hopefully left shift more easy then proprietary that Nvidia brings. Yes g sync is better but is it better per price of monitors. Hairworks yip I love wavey hair but does it add to the game being better on either card? We all care about raw FPS numbers. I've never owned amd card but as a I.T worker I get lumbered with building pc's for little Timmy he always gets a amd card as the parents don't understand price of performance now we have a equal raw performance card for FPS yes no dlss, yes no RT but when was that the end factor I don't understand half the post on here anymore.

Associate
So this translates to in OCUK pricing

6800 : £600-650
6800XT : £650-750
6900XT : £980-1100

At first I was thinking of cancelling my 3080 order and going with a 6800XT but then that came to mind, after UK e-tailers gouging it up I'd be lucky to save anything at all... and I'd also have to wait a few more months in another queue...how very British....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom