• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Haven't had an and card since my x1800xt, if the reviews are good then I may seriously go with them.

As for raytracing, anything that improves technology and moves thing forward then I can't complain. Haven't played control but I heard it's great with showing off raytracing

Associate
I love the hype, but everyone should wait for reviews to land, and i refuse to be ripped off with price inflated launch day prices from any site, in the new year stock will be plenty and then you might even see toxic versions of the AMD cards. I also need a water block so will wait until i can buy both together.

Soldato
I'm waiting to see if the overclocking potential rumours of the 6000 have any truth in them. The third party reviews are going to be very interesting. The best bit is I don't see the place of progress slowing down anytime in the next 5 years.

Associate
It was a very exciting show last night and I will wait now as with my position in the Strix 3090 OC queue, it seems I will have no choice.

I think we are looking it at it in a very narrow way though. In the cold light of this morning's cup of coffee there are still reasons I may get the 3090. I use NVENC New exclusively now as I just prefer it. Also I will want to play Cyberpunk with raytracing irrespective of the general malaise around it. As someone who hasn't owned an AMD GPU for a while it can also be easier to think, better the devil you know, with regards to compatibility. I can't remember the last time I had a GPU issue with a game.

If the 6900XT gets close in raytracing and also taking into account Rage is not an overclock and the 6*** may have more in them, will make it interesting. The issue will be how much retailers inflate.

Associate
If buying a 3090 that cost 150% more than a 3080 for only 15% extra performance was not already bad enough... AMD releasing a card that costs 50% less than a 3090 and yet more or less equals it in performance is a disaster. :eek:

Quite. I know value means little at this end of the market but surely that's enough to make one take pause (unless you have a specific use case scenario that requires more VRAM or CUDA, in which case fair enough).

Soldato
did AMD say there are AIB 6900XT coming, I thought the rumour was for no AIB cards

And you're saying the 6900xt will beat the 3090 with RAGE and SAM turned off as long as you OC it?
no one mentioned AIB's, SO maybe maybe not.
IF 6900XT with RAGE+SAM oinly just beats a 3090 AIB will need to do RAGE+ for stock which may or maynot happen

Soldato
Have you guys read the presentation foot notes?

* AMD's product warranty does not cover any damage from using RAGE

Apparently not the case

From their email, "We would like to make it clear: that warning does not apply to the Performance Tuning Presets like Rage and Quiet modes. These operating modes are fully supported by AMD and will not invalidate the product warranty. In fact, we will be updating the EULA in Radeon Software to clarify."

https://twitter.com/CDemerjian/status/1321594128581468160?s=20

Ian Cutress reports the same too https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1321490624793710593?s=20

Last edited:
Soldato
Well for the minor uplift to a 6900 XT I don't consider it worth any more than £700. Just because NV has conditioned the market with high prices over several years it doesn't fill me with joy to now have a duopoly. Realistically I think the 6800 XT should be around £500 tops since there are still short comings with AMD offering so it's some brass neck to peg prices to NV.

Soldato
It was a very exciting show last night and I will wait now as with my position in the Strix 3090 OC queue, it seems I will have no choice.

I think we are looking it at it in a very narrow way though. In the cold light of this morning's cup of coffee there are still reasons I may get the 3090. I use NVENC New exclusively now as I just prefer it. Also I will want to play Cyberpunk with raytracing irrespective of the general malaise around it. As someone who hasn't owned an AMD GPU for a while it can also be easier to think, better the devil you know, with regards to compatibility. I can't remember the last time I had a GPU issue with a game.

If the 6900XT gets close in raytracing and also taking into account Rage is not an overclock and the 6*** may have more in them, will make it interesting. The issue will be how much retailers inflate.
Very true

Like i said previously

If you need the 3090 for:
  • NVENC
  • VRAM
  • Shadowplay (Questionable)
  • CUDA

Then the 3090 is the right card for you, This could be the 7970/7990 all over again which is epic! where it pretty much dominated the competition.
    However, i had 2 7970s & 2 7990 which also all died (Thanks to OCUK for big RMA Support). (failure should be behind them)
    I really do hope they do really well, I just think right now from what we seen RAGE+SAM is required to actually Beat the 3090
    We also need to remember that this is Reference VS Reference, AIBS VS AIB's could be a different story. EG will AMD let ASUS for example go to 400/450W like the Strix 3090?

• I also anticipated the following happening:
  • 3090 big Driver optimisations (to edge out over the 6900xt)
  • Game offers/Free stuff
  • possibly a price drop.
  • could we see a 3090TI? with boosted clocks

Associate
Well for the minor uplift to a 6900 XT I don't consider it worth any more than £700. Just because NV has conditioned the market with high prices over several years it doesn't fill me with joy to now have a duopoly. Realistically I think the 6800 XT should be around £500 tops since there are still short comings with AMD offering so it's some brass neck to peg prices to NV.

I agree, I'll probably get a 6800xt anyway, but not on launch as I'll be waiting for waterblocks to come out. However it is very telling that we didn't get any information on the RT performance, which if it's a lot worse than the 3080, would make the 6800/6800xt seem pretty poor value for money.

I'm just hoping AMD has seen the clusterfudge that has been the 3000 launch and actually has enough stock.

Associate
Very true

Like i said previously

If you need the 3090 for:
  • NVENC
  • VRAM
  • Shadowplay (Questionable)
  • CUDA

Then the 3090 is the right card for you, This could be the 7970/7990 all over again which is epic! where it pretty much dominated the competition.
    However, i had 2 7970s & 2 7990 which also all died (Thanks to OCUK for big RMA Support). (failure should be behind them)
    I really do hope they do really well, I just think right now from what we seen RAGE+SAM is required to actually Beat the 3090
    We also need to remember that this is Reference VS Reference, AIBS VS AIB's could be a different story. EG will AMD let ASUS for example go to 400/450W like the Strix 3090?

• I also anticipated the following happening:
  • 3090 big Driver optimisations (to edge out over the 6900xt)
  • Game offers/Free stuff
  • possibly a price drop.
  • could we see a 3090TI? with boosted clocks

I think overclocking could be interesting. Gamers Nexus said Rage was just a power increase so there may be some headroom there. As an AMD CPU owner SAM seems more interesting and I wonder if there is more to come from that and if the architecture on the new consoles may play a part.

Also I think stock may > all. If there are enough available and Nvidia still haven't got it together could be key.

Associate
If more frames is the goal, then set settings to "low" and go above 100fps even with relatively weak hardware. :) But not many want that, do they? They still want higher image quality.

Mentioning just "lightning" is very broad and inaccurate. Shortly, here's from AMD own presentation the difference that it makes when it comes to shadows alone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHpgu-cTjyM&feature=youtu.be&t=1099 .

There a lot of lights that don't cast shadows in current games, reflections are also quite bad since they're done in screen space and whenever you're having a dynamic time of day (so you can't bake in the lighting in the scene), there are plenty of situations when stuff is just... off.

Majority of the people haven't really played with RT yet in games such as Metro or Control to see for themselves the difference and it seems like they're just accepting opinions/facts that are only enforcing their view and nothing much beyond that. :)

PS: Ray Tracing or Path Tracing should also lower the time it takes to build a game - or at least it should, when that's the only way you're doing it.

What a surprise that your post has gone ignored :D

They know it, we know it, they know that we know they know it but you know...

‘Lalalala doesnt exist lalala’

Soldato
I agree, I'll probably get a 6800xt anyway, but not on launch as I'll be waiting for waterblocks to come out. However it is very telling that we didn't get any information on the RT performance, which if it's a lot worse than the 3080, would make the 6800/6800xt seem pretty poor value for money.

I'm just hoping AMD has seen the clusterfudge that has been the 3000 launch and actually has enough stock.

Yeah I will wait and see if AMD sweaten the price with a decent game bundle otherwise wait for future deals.

Associate

If the new AMD cards had the ability to match the RTX cards with RT on.... Then they would have shouted it from the roof tops, the new AMD cards are pure raw power... No finesse, it is like comparing a 8 liter monster truck to a high end Italian sports car..

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If buying a 3090 that cost 150% more than a 3080 for only 15% extra performance was not already bad enough... AMD releasing a card that costs 50% less than a 3090 and yet more or less equals it in performance is a disaster. :eek:

At this point, only SLI (as flawed as it is for gaming) is a real USP for the 3090 over the 6900XT. At this point I would be having severe buyers remorse had I purchased a 3090. :(

Thankfully, I had more sense. :D

Sadly Rich this happened last gen too except AMD could not provide a card near that performance. The 2080Ti was the lure and people bought it. They only caught on to the economics as nvidia sideswiped them with the 3080 showing they can only charge half that price. Let's see how long people continue to complain about AMD being the bad guy instead of looking inwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom