• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm interested in the VR performance between 3070/3080 and the 6800/6800XT, is there any signs of which will support VR best? I had always thought Nvidia had the upper hand?

Caporegime
I'm waiting to see if the overclocking potential rumours of the 6000 have any truth in them. The third party reviews are going to be very interesting. The best bit is I don't see the place of progress slowing down anytime in the next 5 years.

Me too. Already rumours a very early engineering AIB is running at 2350 boost most of the time in games. I reckon we might see some 2500Mhz AIB boards. Will be interesting to see how they perform under water.

Soldato
wait for 3rd party reviews.

Normally I am very patient, but my PSU just blew up my 4970k / 980Ti build after 5 years... just in time for new AMD CPU/GPU's and Nvidia's offering. Thankfully there is stock shortage or I would have already bought RTX3000 series so plenty of choice when the reviews are out for a full Christmas system rebuild

Soldato
Glad I hit upon this thread before shelling out for a 3080. Totally unaware that AMD were bringing out what looks like a GPU which might be a contender for my next GPU upgrade.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Huh, rage setting must be more subtle than yeeting the power slider along then.

Raises questions of why it's not default if its a warrantied performance boost unless they REALLY wanted to hit that 300W default and rage setting lets it have maybe another 10% power.
They just wanted to beat nvidia on every metric. A bit more performance, a bit less power, a bit less cost. I think the card is even a bit shorter.

Soldato
I'm interested in the VR performance between 3070/3080 and the 6800/6800XT, is there any signs of which will support VR best? I had always thought Nvidia had the upper hand?
Nvidia will have better game support initially. Existing games which have been made for RTX may need a patch to work at all as AMD is using a completely different render path. Going forward, I expect devs will implement a cross-compatible base-level of DXR and then add RTX specific features on to Nvidia sponsored games.

Soldato
Very true

Like i said previously

If you need the 3090 for:
  • NVENC
  • VRAM
  • Shadowplay (Questionable)
  • CUDA

Then the 3090 is the right card for you, This could be the 7970/7990 all over again which is epic! where it pretty much dominated the competition.
    However, i had 2 7970s & 2 7990 which also all died (Thanks to OCUK for big RMA Support). (failure should be behind them)
    I really do hope they do really well, I just think right now from what we seen RAGE+SAM is required to actually Beat the 3090
    We also need to remember that this is Reference VS Reference, AIBS VS AIB's could be a different story. EG will AMD let ASUS for example go to 400/450W like the Strix 3090?

• I also anticipated the following happening:
  • 3090 big Driver optimisations (to edge out over the 6900xt)
  • Game offers/Free stuff
  • possibly a price drop.
  • could we see a 3090TI? with boosted clocks

plus adding back prosumer features with a Titan class driver

Caporegime
Sadly Rich this happened last gen too except AMD could not provide a card near that performance. The 2080Ti was the lure and people bought it. They only caught on to the economics as nvidia sideswiped them with the 3080 showing they can only charge half that price. Let's see how long people continue to complain about AMD being the bad guy instead of looking inwards.
The irony is that although the 2080Ti was wayyy overpriced, I think it ended up being really good value for those who bought one at launch and enjoyed a full 2+ years of interrupted performance leadership. The resale price was also very high up until only a month or two before the 3080 launch, meaning many savvy people got 70% or more of their money back. In this regard I think it was pretty successful and it's those who bought a 2080Ti in the last 6 months that really didn't get their money's worth.

In contrast, the 3090 is imo appalling value that will have terrible residuals in even only 12 months, especially as it looks like the Nvidia Ampere cards based on Samsung 8nm may be refreshed in a rush next year on TSMC. with better specs and more VRAM. This means that those who bought Ampere at launch for gouging prices may shortly feel a little screwedd.

Associate
AMD might not tick all of the boxes immediately, but given that consoles are running the same architecture, I expect more game support in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom