• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If buying a 3090 that cost 150% more than a 3080 for only 15% extra performance was not already bad enough... AMD releasing a card that costs 50% less than a 3090 and yet more or less equals it in performance is a disaster. :eek:

At this point, only SLI (as flawed as it is for gaming) is a real USP for the 3090 over the 6900XT. At this point I would be having severe buyers remorse had I purchased a 3090. :(

Thankfully, I had more sense. :D
I don't think it will bother many in that market segment even if it was only 1% faster, they will still pick the 3090 and a 1k halberd gaming desk to go with it.

Soldato
AMD might not tick all of the boxes immediately, but given that consoles are running the same architecture, I expect more game support in the future.

Should hope so.

Nvidia gets game devs to implement better support of Nvidia hardware and features.

Meanwhile Microsoft and Sony get game devs to implement better support of AMD hardware and features even if pc improvements are just a byproduct of being forced to develop games for AMD based consoles.

Soldato
Come on guys only 1097 pages to go before this thread catches up with the Ampere 8nm thread.

We should be there by this afternoon.:D

The speed this thread has grown is amazing.

I saw that amd is doing so well yet sitting 10% of the number of posts as Nvidia - shows where the hype is

Associate
To be fair AMD is playing the Tech world like a game of 4D Chess vs multiple competitors at once... First of all they check mated Intel, now they are manoeuvring to check mate Nvidia.

AMD's first high end cards for how many years?

Match the competitors general performance ? Check
Provide similar features? Check on Raytracing, albeit only a bit faster than Nvidias first attempt, and are working on a direct competitor to DLSS - Soon to be a check
Price out competitor on performance per £ spent? Check
Corner larger gaming market with your hardware? Check - Consoles is the big win here
Use what you have learned in the Console ecosystem and bring across performance gains and wins where possible into PC Market? Check - Direct Storage and the Memory thing are 2 items from the Console coming to AMD hardware, also it seems their Raytracing implementation is straight outta the Xbox Series X
Offer best in class performance in CPU segment for Gamers? Check - Ryzen 3rd gen is now the fastest chip for gaming it seems.

It seems AMD have just quietly gone about their business, looking like they had forsaken the high end GPU segment for how long? all the while manoeuvring themselves into an extremely formidable position in the Console Market, which arguably drives the gaming market for home users (you can argue that mobile gaming is actually higher revenue).

Now they are in a strong position where they have PC hardware that almost directly represents what the consoles have, porting from Console to PC was never always great, how many times have we seen "Shoddy console port"? well now, im fairly certain, porting from Microsoft DirectX12 Ultimate based games to the PC is going to be paying huge dividends in regards to eeking out performance on AMD hardware, lets be honest here, Consoles have a set budget for the developers to work with and we have all seen how good games can be made on these budgets. Leveraging that into PC's has not always translated well, but this time round, the 2 hardwares are so much closer together, that you can almost guarantee the port process will be a lot less troublesome and performance gains will be a lot better.

Its exciting times now especially if your an all AMD owner, 6800XT and 5900X is going to be a brilliant combo, and porting titles designed for Xbox Series X across to the PC should mean you can definitely turn some of the settings up to 11, also benefit from the Devs clever workarounds to eek out the best performance and visuals from the hardware.

Cant wait.

Caporegime
OMG Lol i laughed so loud my wife came down from upstairs working in the study to find out what i was chortling about.
I lol'd 3 times, especially the fairy dust and drivers parts. :D

I don't think it will bother many in that market segment even if it was only 1% faster, they will still pick the 3090 and a 1k halberd gaming desk to go with it.

Yeah for most people I agree with you that is true, however some poor uninformed souls do also seem to save up and blindly buy one thinking it's way better than it is. Buyer beware.

To be fair AMD is playing the Tech world like a game of 4D Chess vs multiple competitors at once... First of all they check mated Intel, now they are manoeuvring to check mate Nvidia.

AMD's first high end cards for how many years?

Match the competitors general performance ? Check
Provide similar features? Check on Raytracing, albeit only a bit faster than Nvidias first attempt, and are working on a direct competitor to DLSS - Soon to be a check
Price out competitor on performance per £ spent? Check
Corner larger gaming market with your hardware? Check - Consoles is the big win here
Use what you have learned in the Console ecosystem and bring across performance gains and wins where possible into PC Market? Check - Direct Storage and the Memory thing are 2 items from the Console coming to AMD hardware, also it seems their Raytracing implementation is straight outta the Xbox Series X
Offer best in class performance in CPU segment for Gamers? Check - Ryzen 3rd gen is now the fastest chip for gaming it seems.

It seems AMD have just quietly gone about their business, looking like they had forsaken the high end GPU segment for how long? all the while manoeuvring themselves into an extremely formidable position in the Console Market, which arguably drives the gaming market for home users (you can argue that mobile gaming is actually higher revenue).

Now they are in a strong position where they have PC hardware that almost directly represents what the consoles have, porting from Console to PC was never always great, how many times have we seen "Shoddy console port"? well now, im fairly certain, porting from Microsoft DirectX12 Ultimate based games to the PC is going to be paying huge dividends in regards to eeking out performance on AMD hardware, lets be honest here, Consoles have a set budget for the developers to work with and we have all seen how good games can be made on these budgets. Leveraging that into PC's has not always translated well, but this time round, the 2 hardwares are so much closer together, that you can almost guarantee the port process will be a lot less troublesome and performance gains will be a lot better.

Its exciting times now especially if your an all AMD owner, 6800XT and 5900X is going to be a brilliant combo, and porting titles designed for Xbox Series X across to the PC should mean you can definitely turn some of the settings up to 11, also benefit from the Devs clever workarounds to eek out the best performance and visuals from the hardware.

Cant wait.

Yup, AMD are a company I can respect... they were patient while outgunned and played the long game, knowing that when their plans came to fruition they would reap the benefits. They haven't rested on their laurels and they deserve this recognition now.

RDNA3 will also likely be a stonking GPU and Zen4 a stonking CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
Should hope so.

Nvidia gets game devs to implement better support of Nvidia hardware and features.

Meanwhile Microsoft and Sony get game devs to implement better support of AMD hardware and features even if pc improvements are just a byproduct of being forced to develop games for AMD based consoles.

We're also seeing a lot more cross-over from console to PC since they share the same architecture, so I fully expect this to happen.

AMD's product feels more thought-out so I'm happy to take the leap.

Soldato
I saw that amd is doing so well yet sitting 10% of the number of posts as Nvidia - shows where the hype is
You are just grasping now. Come on. The 860 page AMD Big Navi thread thread was locked yesterday and this is a new one sitting at 90, just in a day. With the cards to be released in a few weeks.

And about 200 pages of the Ampere thread is people just talking about how they can't get one, or talking about their number in the line/stock levels.

Associate
I lol'd 3 times, especially the fairy dust and drivers parts. :D

Yeah for most people I agree with you that is true, however some poor uninformed souls do also seem to save up and blindly buy one thinking it's way better than it is. Buyer beware.

Yup, AMD are a company I can respect... they were patient while outgunned and played the long game, knowing that when their plans came to fruition they would reap the benefits. They haven't rested on their laurels and they deserve this recognition now.

RDNA3 will also likely be a stonking card.

Definitely, they played the long game bigtime and are still playing it and reaping the benefits for that. If Zen is anything to go by, RDNA1 was Zen, RDNA2 is Zen2, RDNA3 should hopefully be a leap forwards like Zen3 is.. ive seen a lot of rumors that we may get chiplet design with RDNA3, given the new Mem Tech they showed off yesterday. The minute AMD can move to a chiplet design for a GPU and it be treated as singular entity, Nvidia will have huge issues.

Associate
You are just grasping now. Come on. The 860 page AMD Big Navi thread thread was locked yesterday and this is a new one sitting at 90, just in a day. With the cards to be released in a few weeks.

And about 200 pages of the Ampere thread is people just talking about how they can't get one, or talking about their number in the line/stock levels.

Just ignore him, he has an agenda vs AMD GPU's for some weird reason, he has been grasping at every straw he can find, and moves to find another when proven wrong.. let him be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom