• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Lol 3090 is so dead (before someone pounces, I am talking about gaming only).

So is the 3070..

But 3080 is still a superior product (provided you can get one close to suggested prices, so as well wait for the 6800XT to hit shelves to get a sense of real prices)

Soldato
AMD crushed Ampere like a bug, and we haven't even seen OC numbers yet! :D

As for people buying NV for RT performance, may I just - LOL!

3-3-3.jpg.webp

Caporegime

3-3-3.jpg.webp
I hope it's not like this forever, am sure it won't be - But Ray Tracing is just going to be one of those features we all automatically turn off for a while due to the high performance cost.

For the most part, we're not used to using Ray Tracing so for a lot of us we'll just carry on as normal and enjoy the huge increase in rasterization performance with the new Navi line-up.

Associate

3-3-3.jpg.webp

I think this is without DLSS. On my 3080fe with Ultra preset + RT Ultra + DLSS Balance I get 60fps on my 4k60hz monitor. I have played about 3hrs yesterday and lowest I saw was around 55. I haven't tried it without DLSS off.

Soldato
I'm in the market for a new GPU soon, well... new PC soon. Currently sitting on 1700x and Vega 64.

Definitely set on a Ryzen 5000 and now it's a toss up between 3080 and 6800xt... as you can tell I am a bit of an AMD fan boy. However the Vega 64 hasn't been without it's problems - but glad to see AMD have impressed with the 6000s release.

I see a lot of people falling back on 'Well AMDs Ray Tracing performance is sub par' or 'Nvidia still wins Ray Tracing'.

As an fps die hard who enjoy high frames (@1440p) I have a few questions...

1. Is Ray Tracing even implemented in a huge amount of games?
2. An fps player like me who enjoys high frames would probably just turn this off
3. does ray tracing make THAT MUCH of an impact visually?

I mean my portfolio for the foreseeable will be Warzone, WoW, Godfall, Diablo 4 and maybe Cyberpunk...

Man of Honour
I'm guessing "RTX" will phase out now, we'll just get universal ray tracing?

This is the eventual goal. especially now that the next gen consoles are coming out and they support RT. I guess the upshot for nVidia is that they can just update RTX to be DXR compliant since they have been doing RTX for so long now. DirectX also has a DLSS equivalent so whilst both nV and AMD currently use either DLSS or Super Resolution respectively (AMD still in the works...), they will both have to switch that to be universal via DX as well.

I cannot see this move to the full DX12 Ultimate feature set anything short of 18 months though. Drivers need updating, games need to shift away from DLSS/RTX currently and have massive updates which I doubt many will since nVidia has paid money for them to support and be optimised for RTX so will continue to want that exclusivity.

Everything talked about here is for future games really.

Permabanned
It's just improved lighting, don't understand why everyone is so excited about it since the "fake" lighting really isn't too bad either tbh.

It's nice, but it's not so nice people will tolerate a noticeable FPS hit for it. It's a luxury, a bonus, an added feature - that I concede will certainly permeate into the market over time - but currently is just flavor of the month to help push GPU sales and next gen consoles since there's nothing too revolutionary about any of them.

Do you watch snooker on a black and white TV?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The irony is that although the 2080Ti was wayyy overpriced, I think it ended up being really good value for those who bought one at launch and enjoyed a full 2+ years of interrupted performance leadership. The resale price was also very high up until only a month or two before the 3080 launch, meaning many savvy people got 70% or more of their money back. In this regard I think it was pretty successful and it's those who bought a 2080Ti in the last 6 months that really didn't get their money's worth.

In contrast, the 3090 is imo appalling value that will have terrible residuals in even only 12 months, especially as it looks like the Nvidia Ampere cards based on Samsung 8nm may be refreshed in a rush next year on TSMC. with better specs and more VRAM. This means that those who bought Ampere at launch for gouging prices may shortly feel a little screwedd.

The good story in that point was correct for the early adopters, my observation was the price it commanded set precedent for the GPU predicament we are in today. The 1080Ti was what £800 or thereabouts, this £1200+ is this issue and now it wont go away. This has been a factor in creeping prices lower in the stack.

Associate
I'm in the market for a new GPU soon, well... new PC soon. Currently sitting on 1700x and Vega 64.

Definitely set on a Ryzen 5000 and now it's a toss up between 3080 and 6800xt... as you can tell I am a bit of an AMD fan boy. However the Vega 64 hasn't been without it's problems - but glad to see AMD have impressed with the 6000s release.

I see a lot of people falling back on 'Well AMDs Ray Tracing performance is sub par' or 'Nvidia still wins Ray Tracing'.

As an fps die hard who enjoy high frames (@1440p) I have a few questions...

1. Is Ray Tracing even implemented in a huge amount of games?
2. An fps player like me who enjoys high frames would probably just turn this off
3. does ray tracing make THAT MUCH of an impact visually?

I mean my portfolio for the foreseeable will be Warzone, WoW, Godfall, Diablo 4 and maybe Cyberpunk...

I play similar games to you (WoW, D4, Cyberpunk, CoD and soon Godfall)

To answer your questions

1. No, i think 14 so far and rumored to be more next year, it is in WoW, Warzone and Cyberpunk though, although in WoW it has almost unplayable impact on your FPS and negligible impact on visuals personally.
2. Yes you would more than likely turn it off, if you stop to admire the pretty lights, someone is putting a bullet in you :)
3. Currently i would say Raytracing is for Screenshot modes only, FPS games your too busy running around not really paying too much attention to the scenery, in something like WoW where your in a raid with 24 or so other people, you often dial down some settings to keep it playable, and WoWs implementation is not overly great looking either

Cyberpunk maybe the good one, however Raytracing even on Nvidia relies on the crutch of DLSS to make it useable really, and AMD are bringing their answer to DLSS as well via a driver update, I think Raytracing will be better used in less fast paced games where you have time to take in the scenery, so Cyberpunk may be a better option or something like Watchdogs Legions, something where your not having to rely on twitch reactions to survive.

AMD Demod what looked to be some kinda Futuristic ARPG yesterday, with Ray tracing enabled, looked ok, im hoping D4 gets an implementation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom