Xeon X5675 and GA-X58-UD5

Soldato
There is an option in the bios to set it on xmp this will automatically set your RAM to 1600.

Though the above option will give you the best results for the OC you want.

Xmp will only work for 1333 ram as these xeons don't support higher and it will just fail to boot, bclk overclock is the only way to get around this.

Associate
Funny that mate because it runs my Corsair XMS3 @ 1600 when xmp is turned on and I have a x5675 installed.

The only problem I had with it turned on and running 12gb of ram (6x2gb) I kept getting ram errors PC rebooting all the time when there was nothing up with the ram at all, I went back to 6gb with xmp turned on and it's run fine ever since.

Edit...sorry I do apologise I have just checked xmp is still enabled in the bios but dram frequency stays at 666Mhz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking good there! Changing memory multiplier to x8 should give a decent boost, try lowering vcore and qpi a few notches one at a time to see how low you can get them if it goes unstable then raise by 2.

Associate
After few tries my system runs smooth/stable at the following specs:

CPU-Z-Infos.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi Guys! I know this post really old, but it's the best I've come across for my situation and hardware etc.. I recently got a Gigabyte GA - X58-UD5 Rev 2 with a Intel i7-920 and XMS3 24G (3x4) ram.
with a corsair GX750 w PSU, for soooo cheap, I thought I just had to have a get it and then try a X5675 with it ! As recently I been watching a few X58 vids and how much fun can be had with the system for so cheap.. Anyway 2 quick questions - which bios would I need and also the system shuts off after about 20-30 mins - I've notice PSU feels hot, so was thinking of swapping it for a corsair CX750 I have laying around..Also Im going to give system a good clean and re do thermal paste. Also got a snowman air cooler - with the x5675 for cheap (due to review using it with this xeon on YouTube) plus it was cheap. These came in post today, so thought it a good time to ask the questions etc..
Any help and advise for a person totally new to the platform - most welcome !!

Caporegime
The northbridge heatsinks might need a repaste by now,if its shutting down after 30 minutes,might be worth checking

Youd probably need the latest official or beta bios from either gigabytes website or tweaktown forum

Associate
Hi guys
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to post that I've just upgraded my sons pc from an i7 920 to an x5670 in a Gigabyte EX58-UD4 rev 1.0 (non P) and it's worked perfectly , running lovely at 4.0ghz on air , just need to find my 1366 waterblock (somewhere in the loft no doubt) and he'll be enjoying that upgrade.
This is just info for anybody so it pops up in a search and helps somebody else pondering over the "buy it now" on ebay and not knowing whether it will work or not.
Took the risk and for £13 it's a bloody bargain.
Oh , it's on the F10 bios btw.
Hope it helps someone out. ;)

Associate
Excellent , they really are amazing performance for the money aren't they ?
Found the block for my sons PC , just need to nip out and get some new piping and fluid and he'll be sorted , can't wait to see how it does on water.

Man of Honour
But the 950 is only quad core, the X5675 is a hex-core. Cheap is £300, but you also need to consider the quality of the X5675 (cache etc). I'm also confident I could OC it to 3.6-4.0GHz quite easily. I'm basically looking for a sub £350 way to get a hex-core that will run at around 4GHz. I do a lot of multi-threaded video debayering (RED) and my 3.8GHz Quad i7 isn't hacking it (-:

I literally sold 6x 5690's last week at £20 a pop. Do j9t spend more than about 40 quid on a hex xeon.

Edit: should have read the thread :D

Associate
I also tried a X5675 in my UD5 but it does not even post to bios, it’s a rev 1 board.

Which bios version do you recommend?

also trying a few other X58 boards I have here including:
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme - X5675 - clocks to 4.5ghz mid 70s on noctua D14
Foxconn Renaissance X58 - fails to post.
Gigabyte X58a OC - F3 bios - boots with X5675 at defaults but will not overclock with any modified settings, must be an old bios issue.

so Asus seems to be king here.

Back
Top Bottom