Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Well, the new AMD cards leave even the Series X for dust :eek::p

Amazing how much perspective can shift in a year. Back when they unveiled Series X, there was quite a bit of scepticism about a console having a GPU between a 2080 and 2080 Ti in performance. Those GPUs... aren't looking so hot any more :D

Though to be fair the closest match to the SX GPU is the 6800, which has 60 CUs (vs 52) and a 1815MHz base clock (vs 1825) at $579. So console is still winning the value argument.
Well, it’s the same breed, wouldn’t say leave for dust...no to have good amd cards in the pc space too...

Soldato
Well, it’s the same breed, wouldn’t say leave for dust...no to have good amd cards in the pc space too...

True to some degree but comparing a £450 console against a £600 video card isn't really fair. Plus you probably need to spend nearer £1500 on a complete pc to match the console by the time you add a CPU, storage, memory, etc. Also, don't underestimate the level of optimization that can be done on a console.

Man of Honour
Well, the new AMD cards leave even the Series X for dust :eek::p

Amazing how much perspective can shift in a year. Back when they unveiled Series X, there was quite a bit of scepticism about a console having a GPU between a 2080 and 2080 Ti in performance. Those GPUs... aren't looking so hot any more :D

Though to be fair the closest match to the SX GPU is the 6800, which has 60 CUs (vs 52) and a 1815MHz base clock (vs 1825) at $579. So console is still winning the value argument.

Just can’t face wasting silly amounts of money on pc gaming anymore for too few games. It’s not all about raw power either. The biggest problem with these GPUs is that with such power it means developers can be lazy without utilising the benefit - look at Horizon Zero Dawn, it looked no better on PC, ran like crap on what is significantly more powerful hardware. It’s a common theme.

That said, I’ll probably end up with both consoles and an upgraded pc, but I’m looking forward to 4K on my sofa looking at a 65” tv more than any gaming session that I have had on my pc for some time.

Last edited:
Soldato
True to some degree but comparing a £450 console against a £600 video card isn't really fair. Plus you probably need to spend nearer £1500 on a complete pc to match the console by the time you add a CPU, storage, memory, etc. Also, don't underestimate the level of optimization that can be done on a console.

The Last of us 2 shows how optimisations can produce something that hits way above what’s expected.

Soldato
Is it possible to pre-download games yet, even for physical copies?

Not sure where I read it, but you'll be able to download a game before it's out, but not play it unless you've obviously purchased the digital version, or went and bought the physical disk.

Associate

Not sure where I read it, but you'll be able to download a game before it's out, but not play it unless you've obviously purchased the digital version, or went and bought the physical disk.

search for game on Xbox phone app

Soldato
Pre-downloading seems to work. I've got the option to download FIFA 21, for example. It just says "Game Sold Separately" next to it.

Neat idea, especially for online retail stuff.

Man of Honour
This is getting exciting now. I really hope the Microsoft Store have some more on launch day. I don’t expect as many people to look there compared to Amazon, Argos, etc.

Yup, can’t wait! Still deciding on an ssd for back compat titles. AC will keep me busy for a while though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like people are getting full retail Series S units in hand now so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can actually do. I don't mind true 1080p 30/60fps, but if games are running at 900p upscaled it's not an upgrade from a One/One S in my opinion.

Man of Honour

Not without an XBox.

Associate
Looks like people are getting full retail Series S units in hand now so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can actually do. I don't mind true 1080p 30/60fps, but if games are running at 900p upscaled it's not an upgrade from a One/One S in my opinion.
Sorry, have you seen something that indicates that may be the case? Or, is that just a concern you're harboring?

Soldato
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is as low as 900p on the Xbox Series S was what i had seen confirmed that and pubg only running at 30fps. I preordered a S as I had no need for 4k gaming as my laser projector is only 1080p but I did want at least 1080p 60 even upto 120fps at 1440p was what was touted as the consoles go to. That and it was supposedly almost the same hardware as X. I'm feeling a bit peeved if it's barely going to run things at 1080p 60fps let alone 1440p. Will keep my preorder but probably just punt it on delivery.

Soldato
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is as low as 900p on the Xbox Series S was what i had seen confirmed that and pubg only running at 30fps. I preordered a S as I had no need for 4k gaming as my laser projector is only 1080p but I did want at least 1080p 60 even upto 120fps at 1440p was what was touted as the consoles go to. That and it was supposedly almost the same hardware as X. I'm feeling a bit peeved if it's barely going to run things at 1080p 60fps let alone 1440p. Will keep my preorder but probably just punt it on delivery.
I think those 2 games are just badly optimised. As I've read of other games running at higher resolutions on the series S.

Back
Top Bottom