What film did you watch last night?

Associate
A couple of good movies recently

Rewatched Dallas Buyers Club
Based on true story Matthew Mconaughy plays a Rodeo Rider/ Electrician/ Hustler who gets infected with the aids virus. Some incredible performances particularly Jared Leno...movie went on to win 3 oscar

Really enjoyed again 8/10

King of Staten Island
Comedy drama Starring Bill Burr & Pete Davidson. Story centred around a young guy having lost his father at an early age (Fireman) and finding his way through life. Again some great performance throughout especially Bel Powley & Marisa Tomei.

Really good movie 7.5/10 look forward to watching again some day

Permabanned
John Henry - 3/10

I like Terry Crews, I look a good LA gang movie, 5th most watched movie on Netflix UK yesterday...what could do wrong...everything it seems. Two runaway immigrants end up in the home of TC while trying to escape his old gang, he's reformed, decides to protect them.

Felt like a dragged out music video, all style, no substance, terrible through and through.

The Netflix chart is literally just people watching any old toss as they have nothing left after lockdown. :D

Associate
#Alive (2020) - 5/10

A Millennial’s struggle to survive during a zombie outbreak which should have done more with its isolation theme and setting.

Although he has access to lots of modern technology, he has no survival skills or willpower and is easily bored without digital entertainment.

The film is slow and with no real surprises, but the zombies are entertaining and look good and there are some humorous moments.

The lead doesn’t really have any character growth, his relationship with the other survivor never develops and the ending sequences are very anticlimactic.

Man of Honour
@Nitefly @arc@css watched a decent little horror movie over the weekend you might be interested in.

Spiral - 7/10 - A gay couple in the mid 90's move to an idyllic middle america town. They're warmly welcomed by all but one of the couple starts to get very paranoid due to a past hate crime he went through and this escalates throughout. Seen enough horror to sort of know where it was going but the journey there was well paced and mostly believable. The gay element isn't forced or agenda driven but is pivotal to the movie.

Has a few unique elements and kept me on the edge of my seat for much of it. Oh and a certain poster on this sub-section might lose his mind at there being a gay black lead, think his head would implode.
Thanks for the recommendation - sounds worth a watch! I’ll report back when I get round to it.

Over the passed couple of nights I’ve been watching the Vacation films with Chevy Chase (specifically Vacation and European Vacation).

Damn. I know that some aspects of these films are super dated, but I can’t help but love them. There is just such a charm to Clarke (Chevy) and his family. He’s such a complete and utter doofus / arse, but he feels real. All he wants to do is have a nice time with his family.... Don’t we all? I find myself really rooting for him.

I found myself laughing out loud for a long time after many of the gags. The most amusing moment for me is probably when the music keeps coming on signalling the attractive woman’s arrival. Just that transition from “**** reality” to fantasy is relatable :p

Also the ‘breaking point’ scene in the original is really, really funny:

Where he brazenly tells his family that they are all “****ed in the head” :eek: :D

The sequel isn’t quite as good. It has some moments of genius but sort of loses its way with a silly kidnap plot when they get to Italy which simply isn’t that interesting. It also ends on a terrible sight gag that was not a good way to finish things off. Still worth a watch if you fancy an extension of the original and want more Griswald tragedy.

Vacation - 10/10 (I don’t care what anyone else says that’s how much I enjoy it)

European Vacation - 7.5/10

I also found myself really enjoying Christmas Vacation for similar reasons so will give that a whirl this festive season :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm also partial to the old Vacation movies, they have a certain corny charm.

Also Randy Quaid is underrated as Cousin Eddy, knowing that he's just as bat**** crazy in real life just adds some more realism to his performances. He's especially good in Xmas Vacation for that role.

Though heard Chevy Chase was hard to work with as far back as Caddyshack, he was great in that type of role back then. If you really want to scrape the barrel, I think they even did a straight to DVD Cousin Eddy movie about him being stranded on a tropical island.

Man of Honour
The Terminator. My goodness they just don’t make them like this anymore, stuff all the cgi crap. It’s got to be Arnie’s best performance by a mile. The whole film is a true labour of love too.

Associate
Project Power (2020) - 7/10

A relatively straightforward drugs movie with the twist that the pills provide the users with short term, spectacular looking superpowers.

The plot’s nothing special and doesn’t fully live up to its premise, but the acting is good and the action scenes are fast paced and stylish.

Most of the film looks good with its urban hip-hop style and attitude and although the villain and her plan is as cliché as they come, the idea of the rich manipulating the poor by using drugs is probably quite close to reality.

Associate
Hereditary

I'm a bit of a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror movies (not slashers, they're fine), therefore I don't watch many of them. I blame an overactive imagination!

With it being Halloween soon, a lot of people have been recommending this, so I thought I'd bite the bullet and give it a watch, who needs sleep anyway??

While it was very well acted and shot, I was a little disappointed (or relieved?) it didn't scare me much. There were a couple of very creepy moments that gave me goosebumps.

I'll give it a 7/10, mainly for the production.

Next up in my getting-used-to-horror-movies plan will be It Follows. This also come highly recommended.

Soldato
Just finished watching the latest Netflix documentary on some tombs in Egypt; Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb. Really fascinating the stuff they found and it blows my mind how old the things they're finding.

I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to be the first person to have seen and touch something in 4000 years. I always wanted to be a palaeontologist or archaeologist when I was a child so I always find these types of things interesting and this one didn't disappoint.

Not quite a film but really recommend it.

Associate
Project Power (2020) - 7/10

A relatively straightforward drugs movie with the twist that the pills provide the users with short term, spectacular looking superpowers.

The plot’s nothing special and doesn’t fully live up to its premise, but the acting is good and the action scenes are fast paced and stylish.

Most of the film looks good with its urban hip-hop style and attitude and although the villain and her plan is as cliché as they come, the idea of the rich manipulating the poor by using drugs is probably quite close to reality.

I'd forgotten about this film but watched it a little while ago ... I think it's pretty well acted and that manages to see it through the silliness a bit (though the girl character was kind of annoying) ... but this seems like a pretty fair assessment of it.

Associate
Code 8 (2019) - 4/10

A more subdued and realistic "mutants" movie, which doesn't really make for good entertainment.

It's a run of the mill heist movie set in a dystopian near future where people with powers are persecuted and criminalized as they are different.

It has some good ideas, but it never really uses its premise to good effect and is relatively slow going.

The robots and drones look good and the acting’s ok, but the plot’s boring, the characters are dull and the sub-plots don’t go anywhere.

Associate
Faster (2010) - 8/10

A gritty revenge thriller which has nothing to do with its title.

The plots unoriginal, but the film is very well put together with well rounded characters and good acting.

It has thrills, suspense and a top cast, even if Dwayne Johnson trying to be a young getaway driver is unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom