• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The PS5 and Xbox Series X GPUs are certainly more powerful than people estimated.

I hope they do a desktop version of the Series X GPU, maybe suped up a bit. Assuming 52 CUs, it would probably compete with the RTX 3070, since this hypothetical GPU would have 8 less CUs than the RX 6800, so maybe 10-13% lower performance.

It could easily be called the RX 6700 XT, with maybe another variant called the RX 6700 (44 CUs).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The PS5 and Xbox Series X GPUs are certainly more powerful than people estimated.

I hope they do a desktop version of the Series X GPU, maybe suped up a bit. Assuming 52 CUs, it would probably compete with the RTX 3070, since this hypothetical GPU would have 8 less CUs than the RX 3080, so maybe 10% lower performance.

It could easily be called the RX 3070 XT, with another variant called the RX 3070 (44 CUs).

They aren't going to drop the 6000 series to name it inline with the NV card, the 6700xt is likely the card you are talking about. :)

Soldato
I'm running a Vega 56 (overclocked) and would love to upgrade to one of these AMD cards or even the Nvidia 30xx series, but these prices are pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Financially, I could easily drop the money on it but I just couldn't justify it and would rather spend the money on something else.

My budget would be around £300 but even if I look around today at what that gets you, you're looking at RTX2060's, 16660Ti's and 5600XT's; all of which are a sideways upgrade for a 3 year old card that I paid £175 on Members Market.

Soldato
It would be strange if there wasn't a Series X like desktop GPU with 52 CUs, I'd be a bit surprised if they will let NV win on price / perf with the RTX 3070.

AMD has a least one 6 core, lower end, competitive Ryzen 5000 series CPUs (with excellent single threaded perf), to match Intel's so maybe they will have a similar strategy for GPUs.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is what I don't understand. Clutching at straws about 'second gen' RTX being better but 3070 reviews tells us it's no better than the 2080Ti it's in line with. The only reason the 3080 is better is because of the performance deficit in general.
Exactly. This is what I keep telling people, the RT performance advantage Nvidia enjoys won't actually manifest in actual numbers for actual games, only for specific rendering programs, or maybe Quake RTX. That's it. RDNA 2 is already at least on par if not slightly better than Turing at RT, so that's the important hurdle to have crossed.

Associate
Tempted to buy the 5900X and the 6900XT as a christmas present to myself and then give my nephew the 3900X and Radeon 7 I currently have as a christmas present as it would be a good upgrade for the 2600 and RX580 he currently has. Will depend on bench marks. I game at 4k. May Just settle for the 6800XT is there is not a huge leap.
I have a X570 MSI prestige moutherboard so will be intrested on the direct memory access performane figures.

Soldato
Exactly. This is what I keep telling people, the RT performance advantage Nvidia enjoys won't actually manifest in actual numbers for actual games, only for specific rendering programs, or maybe Quake RTX. That's it. RDNA 2 is already at least on par if not slightly better than Turing at RT, so that's the important hurdle to have crossed.

This needs to be thrown around more. Ray tracing still completely unusable if you want > 60 fps at 4K in modern games. Give it another generation or two and things will change.

Soldato
:eek: My pc (R9 390 + 4770K @ 4.3ghz) can only just run Watch Dogs: Legion, according to this:

Minimum Specs (1080p Low Settings)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460/AMD Ryzen 5 1400
Graphics card: 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 / AMD Radeon R9 290X

Maybe I can get a little more life out of it before upgrading :D

U can buy watch dogs Legion on the Epic Store for around £31 in some countries, if you use a voucher :D

Associate
:eek: My pc (R9 390 + 4770K @ 4.3ghz) can only just with Watch Dogs: Legion, according to this:

Minimum Specs (1080p Low Settings)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460/AMD Ryzen 5 1400
Graphics card: 4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 / AMD Radeon R9 290X

Maybe I can get a little more life out of it before upgrading :D

U can buy watch dogs Legion on the Epic Store for around £31 in some countries, if you use a voucher :D

By all accounts the game is boring after a few hours with many streamers turning it off and going back to other games lmao.

Soldato
I feel quite bad for the competent reviewers out there...

They are now looking at having to somehow clearly compare stock to stock rasterization, raytracing, overclocked modes, DLSS (also potentially DLSS vs super resolution in a few months), smart memory access mode on/off as not everyone has access to it, and assess some things that may not only be differing performance but also have differing visual quality (eg ray tracing implementations and upsampling tech) which is going to be very challenging to quantify.

I wouldn't want to be a reviewer right now lol.

Any news on when we might hear some details about partner cards? I'm hoping one might come with a water block attached and save me the bother.

Soldato
I think we'll see ray tracing used as just spot effects for a time yet. No one is going to try and ray trace whole scenes, because cheating and shortcutting with the techniques we've previously used will always be computationally less expensive, thus meaning more performance for either increased frames or increased fidelity. Not everything has to be raytraced.

At some point in the future, raytracing performance will be so fast, that even the significant drop in performance we now see against not using raytracing will still bring us usable frame rates (at least over 60, though some people will consider 120 fps a minimum requirement). We're nowhere near that threshold on this generation of gaming GPUs where we can take the RT frame drop and not care about it. Some lighting sources or a few reflections with a couple of bounces, we can live with, but anything more isn't very feasible unless you can live with low framerates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom