***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
I still sometimes think about the robo tuners and DIP switch models and just think, what the hell were Gibson thinking.
I can see what they were trying to do they just needed to badge it all better! They wanted to innovate which is after all what les Paul was famous for. For me they should have left the standard alone (it is standard after all!) and had a separate players line which they put the modern cuts and bell’s and whistles on! They seem to be moving more towards this now but I still find the whole line up confusing with now two different standards a classic that isn’t really a classic and the modern line up!

Caporegime
I prefer the colour though which is obviously going to improve my playing immensely!

It shouldn't but if the visual aspect make you play the guitar more, i am all for it. At the moment people are going over the new Adam Jones Silver burst online and I just don't see the appeal. It's an ugly looking guitar, it looks like the colour of snot when you have a bad cold.

Soldato
I know, but it's just a snotty colour!
It's a very hard to achieve snotty colour though :p It's meant to be the colour of a 70s silver burst where the nitrocellulose has yellowed.

There's a couple of colours like this, where spray shops are asked to replicate a defective colour with modern methods. Another is Gibson "broken white" - where a white finish has gone off-white, almost creamish. Sort of feels weird to recreate those colours in modern paint which won't fade, but there we go.

Snot green and broken white it is!

Caporegime
It's a very hard to achieve snotty colour though :p It's meant to be the colour of a 70s silver burst where the nitrocellulose has yellowed.

There's a couple of colours like this, where spray shops are asked to replicate a defective colour with modern methods. Another is Gibson "broken white" - where a white finish has gone off-white, almost creamish. Sort of feels weird to recreate those colours in modern paint which won't fade, but there we go.

Snot green and broken white it is!

I know it's the colour of the original silver turning yellow, just like the colour of lemon fade or tea fade from the cherry burst.

Still, as a new guitar, (or the original one aged), it's now turned into a snotty green.

Man of Honour
Another is Gibson "broken white" - where a white finish has gone off-

I used to have one in the 90s.

gibsonwhite.jpg

Soldato
It shouldn't but if the visual aspect make you play the guitar more, i am all for it. At the moment people are going over the new Adam Jones Silver burst online and I just don't see the appeal. It's an ugly looking guitar, it looks like the colour of snot when you have a bad cold.
What ever I buy also has to pass muster with my other half or it won’t get permission to hang on the wall! Fortunately she likes dark bursts I will find something acceptable to us both. I’ve said it before on here but some guitars just talk to me and I can’t resist picking them up, I can happily walk past a genuine strat as they just don’t make me want to play but les Paul’s and sun burst parlour acoustics are the exact opposite! I think I’d be happy with a proper les Paul and an L-00 as my line up for good. (Plus my cheapo Ibanez an60 that I don’t mind the kids bashing!)

Man of Honour
OP
I don’t get the Les Pauls at all... too ‘dad rock’ looking for me and it makes them uncool. But horses for courses!

SG2000 is cool though.

I’m guess I’m just an anti mainstream snob :p

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I’ve got 7 guitars hanging on a wall next to me. Easily £20k of wood... the secret is what you mount them to and how you mount it (obviously).

When I put up my string swing I drilled 100mm pilot holes and screwed the steel backing plate directly in to the concrete with 14 “tapcon” concrete screws.

The house will sooner come down than these :D

The only other medium beside concrete block work is consider is studs, under no circumstances would I attempt to hang a 4kg Les Paul on a hanger from plasterboard.

Back
Top Bottom