2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
Weather's been noticeably colder over the last two weeks but my greenhouse has stayed above 10c at night so I'm hoping to keep them going for another month.

Mine has been dipping below 10 overnight, but during the day with a few spells of sun it's shot up above 20.

I've harvested most of my chillies now. Got a few left that I'll pick this week to ripen off on the windowsill.

Is it too early to overwinter some of these plants?

Caporegime
No idea about overwintering, never done it before, but Daytrader and a few others will be able to help you. I'm interested in trying it with my chocolate Reaper this year though.

Weather's lovely today and should get up to 15c outdoors so I'm doing another mega pick before it hits 3-4c tonight.

Edit: Latest episode of CTH is good, David gets his ass kicked.

Soldato
Weather's been noticeably colder over the last two weeks but my greenhouse has stayed above 10c at night so I'm hoping to keep them going for another month.

If anyone's interested in a productive super hot for next year, the Borg 9 have been ridiculous. They're about as hot as a Ghost and I'm averaging over 60 per plant so far. The third plant along in this picture is basically a Borg umbrella :D

Great harvest mate.

Soldato
Mine has been dipping below 10 overnight, but during the day with a few spells of sun it's shot up above 20.

I've harvested most of my chillies now. Got a few left that I'll pick this week to ripen off on the windowsill.

Is it too early to overwinter some of these plants?
I posted this back in August.

I cut mine back to like around 8" stem with a v, i did post some photos back in this thread for someone else, once in doors there loose all there leaves eventually, i got all my info from this link https://www.thechileman.org/guide_overwinter.php

Over-wintering -

Q: I would like to keep my chilli plant over winter, what should I do?

A: Chilli plants tend to stop growing and flowering during the winter months in the UK. If the plant is coming in from a greenhouse or patio, you may need to prune it to fit the available space. You can lightly prune to re-shape the plant or heavily prune to just leave the main stem. If the plant grew to an ideal size, then a hard pruning will allow it to re-grow with the same fruit cover and size the following season. Keep the compost just off dry while the plant is dormant and keep it somewhere light, but not with extremes of temperature. In the UK, overwintered plants usually start to become active in March or April, depending on where they are being kept. Fresh compost in the Spring will help to get them going.

Also :)
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=chilli+overwintering

Soldato
Found my other post also.

Did you do anything to them to overwinter? Watched a few videos in preparation for trying it later this year and seen one trim all the branches right back, removed all leaves and repotted into a smaller pot too which all seemed a bit drastic..

I cut mine back drastically as you can see from photos, but just kept in same pots, as i feed them every watering, so did not even change the compost, most people cut back to like 6"/8", chillis do much better 2nd and 3rd year.

Fatalli last year plant, fatalli and bonnet cut back and now Fatalli and bonnet.

fatalli-last-year.jpg
ready-for-over-winter-18-11-2019.jpg

fatalli-now.jpg
plant.jpg
4-chillis.jpg

Soldato
I posted this back in August.

I cut mine back to like around 8" stem with a v, i did post some photos back in this thread for someone else, once in doors there loose all there leaves eventually, i got all my info from this link https://www.thechileman.org/guide_overwinter.php

Over-wintering -

Q: I would like to keep my chilli plant over winter, what should I do?

A: Chilli plants tend to stop growing and flowering during the winter months in the UK. If the plant is coming in from a greenhouse or patio, you may need to prune it to fit the available space. You can lightly prune to re-shape the plant or heavily prune to just leave the main stem. If the plant grew to an ideal size, then a hard pruning will allow it to re-grow with the same fruit cover and size the following season. Keep the compost just off dry while the plant is dormant and keep it somewhere light, but not with extremes of temperature. In the UK, overwintered plants usually start to become active in March or April, depending on where they are being kept. Fresh compost in the Spring will help to get them going.

Also :)
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=chilli+overwintering

Yeah i did watch a couple of youtube videos on methods of over-wintering. Although there wasn't a lot of advice as to when to overwinter, one guy was doing his mid October, whilst another wasn't starting until December.

I guess it's very much weather dependent, and as soon as we're heading for a frost, then would probably be the last time to prep them for overwinter.

Caporegime
It's already been as low as 7c here in the night, up north though.

according to google pepper plants don't like under 15c and under 5c starts to get very bad for them. 0c any leaves and fruit apparently will start to blacken.

I've had mine inside the house by windows the whole time, new growth is slow but they still keep trying to set flowers, got a couple of tiny fruit and some waiting to mature on each one still.

I think I will just let them get on with it, one dropped a few leaves recently so they might already be starting to realise winter is coming.

trees outside still have most of their leaves so it's probably to early yet imo

Last edited:
Soldato
It's already been as low as 7c here in the night, up north though.

according to google pepper plants don't like under 15c and under 5c starts to get very bad for them. 0c any leaves and fruit apparently will start to blacken.

I've had mine inside the house by windows the whole time, new growth is slow but they still keep trying to set flowers, got a couple of tiny fruit and some waiting to mature on each one still.

I think I will just let them get on with it, one dropped a few leaves recently so they might already be starting to realise winter is coming.

trees outside still have most of their leaves so it's probably to early yet imo

Yep it'll be too cold for full growth now, but will still be okay for smaller ones to grow a bit more and ripen.

Caporegime
Yep it'll be too cold for full growth now, but will still be okay for smaller ones to grow a bit more and ripen.
still got a few big peppers on each plant and some smaller ones that are growing pretty quick.

I think they realise it's winter though now cos they aren't trying to make any more flower buds apart from the odd branch

Soldato
still got a few big peppers on each plant and some smaller ones that are growing pretty quick.

I think they realise it's winter though now cos they aren't trying to make any more flower buds apart from the odd branch

I overwintered all of mine apart from 2 which were still growing a few chillies. I've moved them out of the polythene greenhouse and into the shed. Dismantled the polythene greenhouse for the winter (no point keeping it up with nothing inside it, also as it's only thin plastic, it gets a lot colder than the shed). Will probably give it another week or so before pulling all those chillies off and letting them ripen indoors, and can then overwinter the last 2 plants.

Caporegime
Finally got around to my second harvest of the year :cool:

49 x Borg 9s, 79 x Chocolate Douglahs, 52 x Ghosts and 16 x Chocolate Reapers.

I've got a load more Borgs, Douglahs and Ghosts that are almost ripe and around 20 more normal and chocolate Reapers to go. My scorpions are all orange and appear to have stopped ripening and are now turning white. Not sure if that's a genetic trait or if they're diseased but I've only picked 31 from 4 plants this year :(

Soldato
As the plants are now indoors, and catching sunlight on the rare sunny days we've had a few of lately, even though i overwintered them a lot of them have started sprouting leaves/new stems again.

Just debating whether to cut these off again, or just let them carry on until they eventually die off.

Caporegime
yea I chopped one back to its stem only and put it in a north facing window that I don't think gets any sun and it's already started new growth in one spot after like a week

Soldato
so I got like 6 plants still in the greenhouse, if I cut them back and brought them inside is there a good chance they will re-grow next year? meh just think it is too much hassle imo vs buying new plants next year

Soldato
You get months head start with plants that have over wintered, established big root ball, earlier ripe chillis and usually bigger harvests, its only really worth it for the Chinese hots thou, if your growing just annuum types, yeh just grow from seed or buy small plants.

Associate
When is a good time to try and sow some seeds? Can you also recommend a sweet, not too spicy chilli to grow for beginners?

I built a shed last summer to grow bits and bobs - this will be my first attempt!

Soldato
Not to spicy chilli will be a annuum type, just try googling something like, mild chili peppers to grow, or similar, i usually like hot chilli's myself, and its to early to sow seeds, even thou you can if you really wanted to, i started myself in feb this year, and all gave me chilli's, non hot chilli's don't need as long a season as hot chillis do.

Back
Top Bottom