Parking charge notice?

Soldato
Soldato
First letter sent normal post. Odd to see them go straight after the registered keeper. Probably because they cant identify the driver.
It's not odd, it's because all they have is the numberplate and so all they can get is the registered keeper from DVLA.

Soldato
To the people who said to pay the fine, I demand £20 for each comment you read of mine and also £45 for each reply I have to read. For each comment I reply to, it £50 and if you argue with me its £100.

Anyway, send this (with the relevant bit filled in of course):

Your name
Your address
Date
Dear Sir/Madam,
RE: PCN No: xxxxxxxxxx
I am writing to you as keeper of the vehicle and note the contents of your letter. This debt is denied. Your letter does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms act 2012 as it was not served within the 14 days as required under Schedule 4 of the Act.
For the avoidance of doubt first class post is deemed as served the second day after it was posted, left with, delivered to or collected by the relevant service provider provided that day is a business day; or if not, the next business day after that day. As such, there is no keeper liability and you must now take the matter up with the driver.
As there is no legal obligation to name the driver and no moral reason to hand over a friend or family member to be harassed by a parking company, I decline to do so. You may not make any assumptions on this.
Further, as this matter is causing myself and my family considerable distress and you no longer have reasonable cause to hold my data on your system. I hereby request that you cease data handling and data processing for myself including financial products. I also request that as consent is not given nor will it be I am now making a “REQUEST FOR ERASURE” of any data relating to myself, my financial interests and personally identifiable information.
I now consider this matter closed. Do not write to me again, save to confirm your compliance with the request for erasure.
Yours faithfully

Soldato
What the??? That sounds a bit harsh, parking companies got to eat too i guess. :D
If you really don’t want to pay it then go on moneysavingexpert and there is loads of help there.

On the notice to keeper you received it will tell you how to appeal.

appeal it because it took them 2 months to send a letter, they’ll likely reject the appeal and then you can appeal to POPLA, which is basically an independent body that deal with this.

Once it gets to that stage the company won’t submit any evidence or contest because they know POPLA will favour with you cos its laughable.

they do this to get money easily. Whatever you do, do not tell them who was driving

Soldato
Talk directly to the store, we work at some kfcs and if it's not too far down the road then someone in the franchise can cancel it with the parking company. Seems quite unfair, would help if you had a receipt proving you ate there.

Soldato
I got a charge a few weeks ago when I went in to Decathlon to buy some socks. I was parked in the last space in the row, and I parked over the lines by about a foot, probably less. I wasn’t on the pavement, or a path, or the “road” or on double yellows, the car was just partly over a bit of dead space. I did it just to leave my space between my car and the next, and while I was in decathlon for literally five minutes they did me.

I wrote to them and basically said I didn’t agree to any contract, I didn’t see any sign between my car and the store, the terms weren’t made clear to me, and also pointed out that my actions hadn’t caused any loss as I hadn’t been occupying any other space or blocking any pavement etc. To my surprise they actually did cancel it.

The manager in Decathlon didn’t care in the slightest and was no help at all.

From what I read on pepipoo and MSE, there was some sort of case in the last couple of years and the end result was that just ignoring them isn’t a great idea any more so I would recommend you respond and tell them you didn’t agree to any contract.

They’re just shysters. Running the giant car park at somewhere like Lakeside can’t possibly be profitable as there’s not really any restrictions they can legitimately charge people for so they have to try it on with silly things like people parking over the lines and try their luck.

Associate
Appeal sent will go the POPLA route as suggested.

Good luck - doing right thing by not ignoring, and hopefully they'll drop it when you shove your defence down their throats.

For my sins I have been watching the morning debt programmes on Channel 5 and have seen a couple of cases where private parking companies have referred outstanding fines to baliff companies - I think mostly in cases where the recipient has ignored any correspondence, so looks like they are prepared to take it further where they think they'll get a result.......some of the debts were eye watering as well, taking a couple of grand for what started as a bloody fine of less than £100.

Back
Top Bottom