Our Planet - Netflix - Sir David Attenborough

Caporegime
Watched ep1 only so far.
Hoping it drills in that people are ***** who are ruining the world, It's probably too late to save the big ocean animals due to plastic build up.

The BBC dances around global warming etc. It needs to be brutal. Glad it's on Netflix as I don't have a TV licence

Associate
Ill prob get bashed for my opinion but If there are 100,000 walrus gathering on a rock to the point of no room then that to me says over population and imagine what that is doing to the fish populations around that area.

I'm all for animal love but realistically if a few walrus fall off a cliff and die it is a lot less fish being eaten. One life for many?

Soldato
Ill prob get bashed for my opinion but If there are 100,000 walrus gathering on a rock to the point of no room then that to me says over population

I think you missed the part where it explained that the rock is the only area left for them. Usually they'd be far more spread out. Saw that ep a week or so ago now so can't recall specifics.

Associate
Not to mention also that the food chain doesn’t just have two levels.

I am glad the coastal oceans episode showed at least some of the coral bleaching, although I still feel like they moved on from it too quickly.

I spend a couple of months a year in Okinawa and the change in general ocean health there over the last 5 years is so depressing. Huge coral bleaching, masses of plastic accumulating from ocean currents and what feels like 80–90% less marine life.

Still though the number of tourists increase every year, who have no idea about marine conservation or that there is even a problem.

It’s so hard to be anything but completely cynical about our chances of changing anything.

Associate
Our needs are greater than the ability to do anything remotely change worthy. We need to abolish plastic completely, or atleast thermosetting plastics but that won't happen because their cross linking properties are advantageous.

I don't understand why we can't use glass bottles instead of plastic. Pay people to return them to supermarkets. Offer paper bags as an alternative to plastic instead of just charging people 5p as a means to save thecplanet with no alternative method than a bag for life....

But these are just minimalistic measures. The packaging industry and food requiring a method to keep fresh means no natural alternative that achieves the same benefits.

Permabanned
Brilliant series, but I have to admit I'm not as convinced as Attenborough that we can change enough to help the planet.

I don't really think us humans are that bothered......I mean the general population.

Jonathan Pies latest youtube video sums it up quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFNcN0Zc7k
Very true I tried to have a casual chat about the series to my co-worker and as soon as I mentioned mans impact on the planet he instantly dismissed it as nonsense.

Unfortunately he is an older gentleman who will just not hear anything when it comes to that sort of thing and has a I know better/I won’t be around long enough attitude.

Soldato
Brilliant series, but I have to admit I'm not as convinced as Attenborough that we can change enough to help the planet.

I don't really think us humans are that bothered......I mean the general population.

Jonathan Pies latest youtube video sums it up quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFNcN0Zc7k

Th
Very true I tried to have a casual chat about the series to my co-worker and as soon as I mentioned mans impact on the planet he instantly dismissed it as nonsense.

Unfortunately he is an older gentleman who will just not hear anything when it comes to that sort of thing and has a I know better/I won’t be around long enough attitude.

You don't work in the White House by any chance?

Soldato
When you look outside our extremely narrow view here in the UK regarding the environment, the vast majority of the world just doesn't care enough about it for anything we here in the UK do, to matter.

I mean we may "feel" better if we recycle, or if we move away from plastic etc, but the actual effect the UK has on its own is so miniscule that it is literally peeing into the wind but I suppose anything is better than nothing, as long as we remember that.

Soldato
I think you missed the part where it explained that the rock is the only area left for them. Usually they'd be far more spread out. Saw that ep a week or so ago now so can't recall specifics.

They said this was the closest land to their usual sea ice but there was no ice, but Walrus falling from cliffs is not a new thing, apparently they are easily spooked especially by flying objects and polar bears. Some even claim the filmmakers drones could have spooked the walrus. I do think they are laying it on a little thick in the documentary and blaming every bad thing that happens in nature on climate change but this was hard to watch nonetheless.

When you look outside our extremely narrow view here in the UK regarding the environment, the vast majority of the world just doesn't care enough about it for anything we here in the UK do, to matter.

I mean we may "feel" better if we recycle, or if we move away from plastic etc, but the actual effect the UK has on its own is so miniscule that it is literally peeing into the wind but I suppose anything is better than nothing, as long as we remember that.

Even in the UK many people dont care at all about nature or the environment. Its a losing battle really as real drastic change that is being asked for will never happen.

Caporegime
Finally got around to watching this after years of watching and loving Attenborough documentaries but could only manage two episodes.

The way it's shot is fantastic but every single scene is just setting up Attenborough to shove his environmental message down your throat.

Ordinarily I would look past that, as his content is usually so good, but having just read that a lot of what he claimed was actually false I can't be bothered to watch any more :(

Back
Top Bottom