Should my AVR be ok or new AVR time?

Soldato
I've just got a LG BX OLED and I have an Onkyo TX NR 686.

I Know the amp won't do Gsync or 120hz 4k, but I was hoping to do ycbcr444 10bit at 4k 60, but it's not letting me select this in Nvidia control panel?

I suppose I could connect my laptop directly to the TV , it has an RTX 2070 so should do Gsync 120 and ycbcr444? Two points with this way though, seems a waste of AVR amp doesn't it? And secondly do I physically need a 2.1 cable or should the very new 2.0 cable be fine ?

I have also got HDMI 4K Enhanced selected

Soldato
From the manual:

4K (3840×2160p) 50/60Hz, 4K SMPTE (4096×2160p) 50/60Hz : RGB/ YCbCr4:4:4 (8 bit), YCbCr4:2:2 (12 bit), YCbCr4:2:0 (8/10/12 bit)

No 10 bit, but RGB or 4:2:2 12 bit will be fine. Make sure you have an HDMI 2.0 cable. 2070 is only HDMI 2.0 so wont be doing 4k120 regardless.

Soldato
OP
Which option is best for colours?

I did managed to get 4k 120 working on the 2070 but direct laptop to TV.

I'm assuming to have any improvement in PQ via AVR than I would have to stump up a lot of cash for a fancy AVR?

Soldato
RGB will be best for desktop usage, 4:2:2 for games and movies.

The only thing you’d gain from a 2.1 receiver is HDMI pass through for those new features really, 4k120 etc.
How did you get 4k120 from a 2070? A clever DP->HDMI adapter?

Soldato
OP
RGB will be best for desktop usage, 4:2:2 for games and movies.

The only thing you’d gain from a 2.1 receiver is HDMI pass through for those new features really, 4k120 etc.
How did you get 4k120 from a 2070? A clever DP->HDMI adapter?

Under PC resolutions in NV control panel, just a normal HDMi cable, evidently it's supported now it seems.

Should I be able to get 444 if connecting laptop directly?

Soldato
Dithering on PC is amazing so 8-bit + FRC will be awesome.
I will be very surprised if you can tell the difference between 8-bit on a PC and 10-bit from a PC in a film or videogame.

I'd personally save your cash on the AVR upgrade until they are packing more than 1 HDMI 2.1 port so you can hook up a PC and PS5 to it and be very future proofed from a gaming standpoint for a while.

Soldato
Be aware of an issue with HDMI 2.1 Amps and the Uncompressed signal from Xbox Series X, PS5 and NVIDIA 30xx not passing through the 4k120 single from the Amp due to incompatible chips.

Soldato
OP
so perhaps. gpu to TV directly < will a 5m 2.1 cable be OK?

Even my RTX3080 to AVR I can't select 444 10 bit, when I click info on the AVR it is outputting YCBCR 444 10bit to the TV so the receiver is capable. Very confusing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Which option is best for colours?

I did managed to get 4k 120 working on the 2070 but direct laptop to TV.

I'm assuming to have any improvement in PQ via AVR than I would have to stump up a lot of cash for a fancy AVR?

How would an avr improve picture quality?

An avr is just a receiver. Where you should plug everything into it so you don't get audio sync issues.

However these days arc does very well so I plug into TV and use arc because avr are expensive to upgrade just for compatibility issues.

Soldato
OP
How would an avr improve picture quality?

An avr is just a receiver. Where you should plug everything into it so you don't get audio sync issues.

However these days arc does very well so I plug into TV and use arc because avr are expensive to upgrade just for compatibility issues.

I'm assumed the AVR was limiting what pictures settings my computer was outputting.

I've never managed YCbCr 444 10 bit Full, only 8bit limited. The receiver however does always show 444 10 bit Full.

Apparently I would not have DTS in games if I use TV as a passthrough but can't say I've used DTS in a game so that probably doesn't impact me.

Caporegime
I'm assumed the AVR was limiting what pictures settings my computer was outputting.

I've never managed YCbCr 444 10 bit Full, only 8bit limited. The receiver however does always show 444 10 bit Full.

Apparently I would not have DTS in games if I use TV as a passthrough but can't say I've used DTS in a game so that probably doesn't impact me.

Yeah so avr don't improve picture quality.

They just pass through a signal. Some do upscaling but so does the TV so it's a mute point.

I'd plug directly into the tv personally and use arc for anything that gives me issues plugging directly into the avr.

Soldato
OP
Yeah so avr don't improve picture quality.

They just pass through a signal. Some do upscaling but so does the TV so it's a mute point.

I'd plug directly into the tv personally and use arc for anything that gives me issues plugging directly into the avr.

I just felt I was "wasting" my AVR because I'd essentially not be using the HDMi inputs on the AVR.

Caporegime
I just felt I was "wasting" my AVR because I'd essentially not be using the HDMi inputs on the AVR.

Makes no difference a hdmi port is a hdmi port you have them on both.

I'd use whatever works easiest and best for your set up.

The avr is for sound processing and amplifying the speakers. It can also pass video but it doesn't need to.

It's main job is to give you sound.

I have a soundbar in the bedroom with 3 hdmi ports. I don't use any of them as it's easier to plug into the tv and use arc.

My avr I have everything plugged into as you say but if something didn't work I'd go straight to the TV and use arc.

There is no reason why you must use avr hdmi ports apart from it being a cleaner set up or it works better for you.

Soldato
OP
I've tried plugging my pc directly into the TV whilst I now get Gsync I can only get 4k 60, YCBCR 444 8bit limited, it allows me to select 10 and 12bit but these cause the screen to go black and only way to restore it is to uninstall Nvidia drivers in safe mode.

Back
Top Bottom