• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970 vs 3070 price

Associate
So I purchased a new build pc years ago with a msi 970 for £280, and I have considered building a new machine and I have hit a brick wall - the disgusting price of the graphics cards!!

What has happened? my 970 cost £280 when it was released and a 3070 is bouncing around 600! Literally the mind boggles, my last pc build was 1200 pounds, now for the same 'spec' today im looking at 1500.

Exactly what am i gaining paying this price?

Associate
So I purchased a new build pc years ago with a msi 970 for £280, and I have considered building a new machine and I have hit a brick wall - the disgusting price of the graphics cards!!

What has happened? my 970 cost £280 when it was released and a 3070 is bouncing around 600! Literally the mind boggles, my last pc build was 1200 pounds, now for the same 'spec' today im looking at 1500.

Buy a PS5 or XBOX X Series. They are the only "value" left in gaming.

Associate
That’s the impact of 6 years of inflation increasing the price by ~10% and the fact that all PC components are priced in the US$ which was 1.7 to the £ back in 2014 and only 1.3 today making everything about 20-25% more expensive when bought with the U.K. £ today. Add the above together and it explains most the difference, the rest is the more expensive modern process.

Associate

I'm in exactly the same boat. Still have my 970 and was ready for a price that was lower than £600. I can wait for AMD to get their cards on the market, and prices to stabilise, so I'll look again in 2021.

Associate

What resolution are you gaming at? You might not need something as powerful as a 3070. Prices of 5700 series cards should drop in 6 months as new cards come in. That will be the value option. But it's not a great time to buy as you're caught between 2 generations

Associate
Similar boat for me - still on a 1070 that I paid around £340 for, so quite an uplift in price versus last time round I upgraded.

Aware of the increases due to the exchange rate, inflation etc....

But - has the bar for performance been raised since the 970 and 1070? I'm not an expert on the comparative performance but is the 3070 a better performing card in terms of any measurable metrics (i.e. if we compare the performance of a 3070, would it be similar to the 980 or 1080 et al of the former generations - if you know what I'm getting at?) - thus naturally more expensive?

Or is it just a case of the damned Nvidia tax uplifting the prices for no comparitive gain?

Associate
If you've enjoyed the 970 till now you should be fine with a mild upgrade rather than going for the brand new. It's not as if you can't play next gen games on old cards. Let others pay those costs ;)

However, buying newest Ryzen CPUs is great value compared to the the previous Intel years. At least we don't have massive inflation there, yet.

Associate
3070 starts at £469.

Though if you intend to build a new system around it for gaming the new consoles are a better buy for that purpose given value.

Soldato
It's become a rich man's game unfortunately. I have fond memories of my HD 7850. A real value and performance champ, with great overclocking potential.

With consoles, the only real bargain is the hardware cost. You're still paying £60 for games and a subscription for playing online.

Soldato
But - has the bar for performance been raised since the 970 and 1070? I'm not an expert on the comparative performance but is the 3070 a better performing card in terms of any measurable metrics (i.e. if we compare the performance of a 3070, would it be similar to the 980 or 1080 et al of the former generations - if you know what I'm getting at?) - thus naturally more expensive?

I think it's a hard question to answer, given the amount of variables if say a 970 at the time was an equivalent to a 3070.

But I was looking at benchmarks on YouTube last on gamersnexus, and a 3070 puts out about double the FPS of a 1070 on their test bench.

If that helps at all.

Associate
GBP/USD was 20% stronger back then.
Inflation also averages around 2.4% a year, so lets say a compounded ~15.5%
So the 970 would have been £388 today. So they've actually only increased by £80. With the sheer amount of PC games available, thats pretty good value imo.

Associate
I think it's a hard question to answer, given the amount of variables if say a 970 at the time was an equivalent to a 3070.

But I was looking at benchmarks on YouTube last on gamersnexus, and a 3070 puts out about double the FPS of a 1070 on their test bench.

If that helps at all.

Perhaps we can look at the 2070 Vs the 970 - did this put out double the frame rate (so we are comparing two generational leaps as above) - I'll go and do a search now!

Edit - looks to be about a 65% increase in fps on the user benchmark site

Last edited:
Soldato
Buy a PS5 or XBOX X Series. They are the only "value" left in gaming.

Don't be fooled so easily by the entry cost. They'll rake you even harder in the long run with game prices and platform lockdown.

The truth is it's never been a better time for gaming PCs. The problem is people pretend like only 4K exists now when a gaming PC that can beast 1080p is very cheap, and will be even cheaper in the coming months.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You need to look at dollar for dollar cost. Can’t be looking at pound cost as our currency is worth less now.

970 was indeed good value. Prices have gone up for sure, but not as bad as it seems when you take currency and inflation into account.

My Radeon HD 4870 cost around £200 and was one of the if not the best gpu money could buy at the time. But the pound was much stronger back then. Also die sizes were smaller too. That card was only 256mm2.

Not defending the prices by the way, even with what I said above they are still on the expensive side IMO.

Back
Top Bottom