• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Same here, the one and only team red card I've owned was a Sapphire 9800 pro, even remember replacing the stock cooling with an Arctic cooler blower fan, was a beast in the day!

Aw mate, exact same story for me - brings back some memories :D

Reposting this again from earlier, my thoughts on AMD partners

As numerous other have said, thank you, this is great and aligned with my (more limited) experience also.

Sapphire Vega 64 (current card, rock solid)
Asus Vega 64 (crapped the bed by overheating)
Sapphire R9 380 (workhorse, still in my GF's machine and rocking hard)
Asus X800XL (naff cooler, but good card I guess)
Sapphire 9800 Pro (absolute legend)

Associate
Here's hoping for a Raytracing add-in card named 'Trollolol' whose brand mascot features a green monster wearing a leather jacket turning the pockets inside out and shrugging its shoulders.

Soldato
Yes, but which part?
Nvidia asking nicely?
Or, AMD refusing?

What is the incentive for AMD to give performance to NVIDIA, AMD is able to offer this as they have MOBO<>CPU<>GPU and NVIDIA don't, if it's even possible AMD should refuse.

I can't see NVIDIA doing anything like that for AMD, look at NVIDIA and GSYNC, they basically locked in and monetized what could have basically been an open tech.

Associate
What is the incentive for AMD to give performance to NVIDIA, AMD is able to offer this as they have MOBO<>CPU<>GPU and NVIDIA don't, if it's even possible AMD should refuse.

I can't see NVIDIA doing anything like that for AMD, look at NVIDIA and GSYNC, they basically locked in and monetized what could have basically been an open tech.

I am waiting for more tech details... but it makes sense for AMD to license the tech to nvidia.
The thing about nvidia is that they dont iterate, each new gen is different and you never know what nvidia may concoct for the next gen
If i were AMD, i would oblige because.. you dont want to be negotiating from a weaker position in the future

Soldato
I am waiting for more tech details... but it makes sense for AMD to license the tech to nvidia.
The thing about nvidia is that they dont iterate, each new gen is different and you never know what nvidia may concoct for the next gen
If i were AMD, i would oblige because.. you dont want to be negotiating from a weaker position in the future

NVIDIA would never share extra perf with AMD, look at what they did with GYSYNC they want to lock in tech.

Caporegime

They did oblige with Freesync, didn't see Nvidia do the same with G-Sync. I think AMD shouldn't be so easy to give this away, it could prove really powerful for them in the future. Add some bundle deals on, CPU + GPU for 5-10% less overall and you're beating both intel/nvida on Perf and value.

Soldato
Would be highly amusing if it stopped working if it detected a Nvidia card in the system.

Physx says hi.

Ok it's irrelevant now but it was rude at the time.

Nvidia does not do sharing.

Associate
They did oblige with Freesync, didn't see Nvidia do the same with G-Sync. I think AMD shouldn't be so easy to give this away, it could prove really powerful for them in the future. Add some bundle deals on, CPU + GPU for 5-10% less overall and you're beating both intel/nvida on Perf and value.

Am not saying to do it for free..
Otherwise it will look strange few years down the line
nvidia will develop its own tech available for licensing to all mobo/cpu manufacturers (like SLI)
and depending on how things will be, AMD may stand to lose the opportunity to make some money out of this
However, if AMD were open to licensing its tech, it would end up being defacto, used by intel and nvidia..
.. AMD makes more money in the process

Soldato
NVIDIA just takes existing open techs and then tries to lock/monetize them.

RTX = It's just raytracing, NVIDIA did not invent, they have tried to popularise but DX12 raytracing puts paid to that.
GSYNC = There were open standards for this, NVIDIA locked in with GSYNC and added $$$
SLI = Not new, multigpu has been a thing for years, AMD have alternative.
etc

Associate
And when Nvidia does share or adopt open tech they try to make it look like they own it. Look at the way they basically adopted FreeSync but did so in a way that was an attempt to rebrand it as G-Sync.

First they implemented FreeSync in their drivers but made out that they were rolling G-Sync out for FreeSync monitors, and then they updated their latest generation G-Sync modules for monitors to give compatibility with FreeSync enabled cards but didn’t really being honour of their way to share that information in quite the same way.

Do now if you do a google search for cross compatibility the top hit is about some FreeSync monitors working with G-Sync rather than the other way round. It took me ages to find out that my Alienware Ultra Wide could also handle FreeSync (discovered on this forum actually) and it was this information that helped me change my mind on my GPU purchase from 3080 to 6800XT as I now know that I’m not locked in to Nvidia.

I’m glad that AMD seems to be upping its game somewhat as it seems that Nvidia needs a serious competitor to keep it honest.

Associate
If you think Nvidia arent already tapping up Intel to work on something similar your nuts! of course they will, they will do whatever it takes to keep the competitive edge. Intel are a shambles right now so they are likely to latch on to something like this as well to try and remain relevant. This is like an arms race now lol....

If AMD get Multi chiplet GPUs out the door before Nvidia and Intel its going to be a bloodbath too.. next few years in tech will be extremely exciting i feel.

Soldato
Aw mate, exact same story for me - brings back some memories :D

As numerous other have said, thank you, this is great and aligned with my (more limited) experience also.

Sapphire Vega 64 (current card, rock solid)
Asus Vega 64 (crapped the bed by overheating)
Sapphire R9 380 (workhorse, still in my GF's machine and rocking hard)
Asus X800XL (naff cooler, but good card I guess)
Sapphire 9800 Pro (absolute legend)

Exact opposite for me, the only team green card I ever owned was the Geforce 3 Ti 500, since then I've bought team red cards skipping a generation every other card. My current is a 5700XT, prior to that was the Fury X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom